UKC

Gloves for Scottish winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 matt pigden 10 Nov 2015
Hi, I'm just looking at buying gloves for this winter. I'll be using them to climb Scottish winter routes of V and upwards so they need to be technical and dexterous as much as warm. I'm not too bothered about paying a premium as long as they work well.
I've been using Mountain Hardwear Hydra EXT gloves and relly liked them but can't buy any in my size for love nor money.
So I'm keen to get either advice where I can buy more of the Mtn Hardwear Hydra gloves or recommendations for gloves that are of a similar dexterity and at least as warm/waterproof.
Thanks,
Matt
 CurlyStevo 10 Nov 2015
In reply to matt pigden:
I'm more in to ice than mixed but I'd found the BD Punishers pretty spot on.
 alasdair19 10 Nov 2015
In reply to matt pigden:

the arxteryx cam sv are both warm and dextrous and predictably expensive.
In reply to matt pigden: Last season I was using RAB Guide gloves and was slightly underwhelmed. They were good but not outstanding, proved durable as expected, were slightly lacking in dexterity but not quite as warm as I'd have liked.
This year I've got a couple of pairs of RAB Cascade. First impressions are very promising, but I can't say anything more as yet.
 HeMa 10 Nov 2015
In reply to matt pigden:

My warm gloves for winter climbing have been OR Warrants (sportpursuit), and they've been fine for majority of cold weather. Though I oftem end up wearing Lighter gloves, like or lodestar, something from Vaude or bd torques.
 NottsRich 11 Nov 2015
In reply to matt pigden:

Whatever you use will get wet, very wet. Personally I have a couple of pairs of decent gloves, but mostly climb in the cheap Simond yellow leather gloves, swapping them when they get wet throughout the day. Then for the walk down I'll put on some nice warm mittens.
 Robin Woodward 11 Nov 2015
In reply to matt pigden:

I ended up getting a pair of the Hestra Ergo Grip Dexterity Long (ridiculous name) gloves, after being fed up of previous gloves either not being waterproof (despite claiming to be) or not being hard wearing enough. They're not the warmest, but I use a thin liner and that does me (with mittens for belay if required). They use an OutDry membrane (same as the Hydra's) which I've found better on the two pairs of gloves with this I've tried compared to other membranes. There's also less to absorb water outside the membrane, making them less soggy (and if you treat the leather/seams they barely absorb anything, keeping you from getting cold when not moving from a damp outer). They're incredibly dexterous and bomb-proof so far. Not cheap though.

https://hestragloves.com/sport/intl/gloves/mountaineering/30640-ergo-grip-o...
 nniff 11 Nov 2015
In reply to matt pigden:

BD Punishers - they are properly waterproof too. Wear with a skinny liner.

Having said that, I've got a new pair of OR Warrants, also from Sportpursuit that do look good. They're certainly dextrous and toasty.
 galpinos 11 Nov 2015
In reply to matt pigden:

I have three pairs of winter gloves:

ME Randonee - Fantastic, dexterous enough (for me) when leading, warm enough, warm when wet, I love them. Disadvantages, a bit of bugger to get on when wet and I have the standard so the cuff is short but I believe there is a gauntlet version now. Size them right as the pile will pack down a bit.

Chamonix Bin Men Gloves - My default non technical winter glove. Cheap, durable and when well worn give the impression you know what you're doing (even if, like me, you don't!)

BD Mercury Mitts - the s**ts hit the fan glove.

I only lead V in winter though so if you climb hard, you might have different needs.
 David Staples 11 Nov 2015
In reply to matt pigden:

Another vote for the BD Punishers from me.
 CurlyStevo 11 Nov 2015
In reply to matt pigden:

A pair of mitts is definitely worth investing in for belays. They can also serve as a back up in case you drop a glove. Mine were pretty cheap, picked them up for about 25 quid after being recommended them on here http://www.outdoordesigns.co.uk/store/summitmitt-inferno

iksander 11 Nov 2015
In reply to matt pigden:

Like boots, fit is an often underated criteria. I find ME gloves (XL) and OR (Large) fit me perfectly but BD don't (fingers too long for palm width). Maybe look at ME Cascade or OR Warrant (or Alibi II or Rab M14 for super dexterous but not waterproof) for something similar to Hydras.
 AlH 11 Nov 2015
In reply to matt pigden:

The 'Chamonix bin men' gloves have been improved upon by one of the companies importing them to the UK. There are now versions with a waterproof liner and thicker leather and a black version with the liner and leather reinforced leather for rope work (I've always worn mine out dragging ropes through them). Still just under £30 for the toughest version. A little short in the wrist but a thermal with thumb loops or wrist warmers can be used along with them:
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...