UKC

DMM RFID Carabiner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Justin Reid 11 Nov 2015
Just seen this release from DMM. Now I love all things DMM, techy and geeky; I think this is a great step forward and appeals to my climbing/geekiness. I don't think it'll be of much use to the average climber so I dearly hope it's inclusion doesn't impact on strength/safety and cost.

http://dmmclimbing.com/news/2015/11/carabiners-join-the-internet-of-things/

However: DMM, saying this tech (RFID) brings carabiners to the "Internet of Things" is a bit of stretch:
The Internet of Things (IoT) is the network of physical objects or "things" embedded with electronics, software, sensors, and network connectivity, which enables these objects to collect and exchange data - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_Things
If the chip collected data such as gate openings, falls etc and transferred this to an app or even the cloud then we'd be talking true IoT. Go on, do it, you know it makes sense
 Dell 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Justin Reid:

It's a bit late for April fools jokes.
 humptydumpty 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Justin Reid:

Doubt it would affect cost much - i think RFID tag unit cost is about 10p?

One thing this allows for is proper tracking of crag swag.
OP Justin Reid 11 Nov 2015
In reply to humptydumpty:

Nice point, would need a central registry of gear serial numbers though
 humptydumpty 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Justin Reid:

The manufacturer and vendors could handle that. Then when you get a piece of gear stuck, you'd just need to run DMM CragSwApp, scan the tag and register the item as abandoned. Nearby climbers would then receive a push notification with details of the gear to their phone, and if they swipe right they will see a map with directions to the stuck piece (including route beta). Once they've recovered the piece, they can register it as belonging to them (using the app again). If a piece of stuck gear is found abandoned, but not registered, then the registered owner would be in for a fine for littering.
OP Justin Reid 11 Nov 2015

Like it, would need to be an option for "Lost" as well as "Abandoned"

Good idea, but can't you already do this with the visible serial number?
 d_b 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Justin Reid:

They need all the gear to be tagged by 2020 when they start rolling out automated per-climb billing at Stanage.
 humptydumpty 11 Nov 2015
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Everything passive RFID does can already be done with a serial number - that's all it is.
 gethin_allen 11 Nov 2015

> Everything passive RFID does can already be done with a serial number - that's all it is.

But you can read it very quickly and have that referenced to a database so if you have 200 of them to audit you can do so without typing in 200 16 digit numbers.
Clauso 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Justin Reid:

It's a great initiative that I'd like to see implemented in pegs and bolts... Just imagine, Greenwood could have saved his saliva, on the Kipling Groove peg, and simply disliked it on Facebook instead?
 Jimbo C 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Justin Reid:

Useful for the work place where records of safety equipment need to be kept up to scratch.

For recreation? personally I'm not interested.
 AlanLittle 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

Quite.

> the possibilities for recreational climbers are only now being explored. Being able to easily keep a record of your rack

There's some strange folk about though, this might appeal to some.

Personally the only time I have ever looked at gear serial numbers is to see if I'm affected by recalls.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...