UKC

"Quarried grit is easier than natural grit"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tmawer 11 Nov 2015
"Quarried grit is easier than natural grit"........Someone said this to me recently and I found myself agreeing, but I now wonder if I believe it. I seem to have done more of my harder leads on quarried than natural but wonder if this is just me and fewer opportunities to climb natural grit . I can think of routes on both rocks I have avoided as I expected them to be really tough. Wonder if this is a consensus view or not?
Removed User 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Well I don't think you'll get any sort of consensus as they are effectively two different rock types with regard to style so some people will climb better on one rather than the other.

Personally though I find climbing at Millstone always feels harder than Bamford. But then climbing at Hobsons Moor always feels easier than the natural grit in Chew Valley.
 Chris Harris 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Less weathered, sharper edges, less rounded holds, cracks less flared & more amenable to gear.

Quarried easier every time.
 Tom Valentine 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Removed User:

How does Hobby Moor compare to Dovestones Main, though?
 JJL 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Chris Harris:

> Quarried easier every time.

At the same grade?
 Mark Collins 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Don't believe that quarried grit is easier than natural. I imagine most climbers these days have been heavily influenced by indoor walls which are in my opinion much more similar to quarried grit than the vagaries of natural, and therefore quarried grit feels easier.
 AlanLittle 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Mark Collins:
I would have agreed with that - in fact I thought it myself - in the old days of vertical, crimpy brick edge climbing walls. They were perfect training for vertical, crimpy quarried grit. Modern climbing walls I would have thought less so.
Post edited at 14:57
 galpinos 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Quarried grit often requires you to be fitter (often steep, relentless crack lines etc) but natural grit requires a lot more use of less positive marginal holds, so my supposition is that the fitter you are, the easier quarried grit is and the better your are, the easier natural grit is.

I find natural grit easier......
 The New NickB 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

I find quarried grit easier at pretty much any grade, but that is because I have always climbed much more on quarried grit than natural grit. I guess this is one of the reasons why we have grade disagreements.
 GrahamD 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

These days I'm getting spanked by both natural and quarried with equal regularity
 jon 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Whether it's easier or not doesn't matter. Far more important is that it's so much BETTER...
 Goucho 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

I don't think it's easier or harder, just different.

Personally I think natural grit requires a bit more versatility in technique and balance than quarried, but quarried requires a bit more strength and stamina.
 Goucho 11 Nov 2015
In reply to jon:
> Whether it's easier or not doesn't matter. Far more important is that it's so much BETTER...

That's just heresy Jon
Post edited at 16:07
 petegunn 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Are your harder leads cracks?
On a lot of the cracks, even though the grade may be hard for you, you know that you can get good runners and be safe.
So I would say rather than being easier to climb its easier to push yourself.
I am sure most people would be the same being able to push themselves on routes that are "hard but well protected"
In reply to tmawer:
I found it more amenable at first because I came to grit from welsh rock and it seemed the skill set transferred more easily but as I got used to it (the natural) I found it fine. I know a couple of people who find the natural stuff more to their liking.
Post edited at 16:19
 Chris the Tall 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Mark Collins:

> Don't believe that quarried grit is easier than natural. I imagine most climbers these days have been heavily influenced by indoor walls which are in my opinion much more similar to quarried grit than the vagaries of natural, and therefore quarried grit feels easier.

This is the point I've been making for ages with regard to jamming. It's not that jamming has got any harder, or even the average climber has become worse at jamming, it's that climbing walls are helping people train more at other aspects - use of small, positive crimpy holds for example. And because climbing grades are all relative, if you improve at one aspect, climbs which focus on that aspect will appear easy for the grade, and those which don't, will seem hard for the grade.
 MischaHY 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

I think it's a completely spurious comment to say that one medium is easier than another. At the same grade, things will feel appropriately difficult based on your personal experience and strengths.

Except on Peak Limestone where everything is just f*cking hard even if you're Ondra.
 BnB 11 Nov 2015
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

I prefer the natural stuff because it tends at my punter grade of VS toward less steep with more rests!! But I do get a buzz when I nail a steep quarry classic like S Crack S Crack (VS 4c) in ways that rounded slabby Peak classics just don't deliver.
 AlanLittle 11 Nov 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> climbing walls are helping people train more at other aspects - use of small, positive crimpy holds for example.

I wish. I get the impression small, positive crimpy holds - or anything else relevant to training for actual climbing - are an endangered species at climbing walls these days, being rooted out in favour of jugs, blobs and volumes that provide more tendon friendly fun.

Furthermore, I'm a very average climber and I'm definitely worse at jamming than I was in the 1980s.

alan moore 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:
Always found quarried grit harder. Mainly because of the lack of slabby stuff, but also find quarried cracks to be a bit slicker and more unforgiving than natural ones.
In reply to Chris Harris:

> Less weathered, sharper edges, less rounded holds, cracks less flared & more amenable to gear.

> Quarried easier every time.

No, allowing for different styles of climbing they're pretty well matched grade for grade.

Quarried grit is more straightforward though. What you see is pretty much what you get and so it requires a deal less cunning than some natural grit routes do.

T.
OP tmawer 11 Nov 2015
In reply to petegunn:

Have climbed a number of cracks around my limit on quarried grit, such as Twicker, The Grader, Wilton Wall, Billy Whizz but have not managed to get myself on the equivalents on natural grit such as Emerald Crack, Sentinel Crack, The Dangler........perhaps just more intimidated by them?
 ralphio 11 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:
I tend to get more intimidated by quarried grit. Probably to do with the height. At Millstone I always feel like the crag is looming over me!... much more friendly at the wide open natural edges and as a result seem to find them easier. Having said that, I agree with the comments above that they really are two completely different mediums so hard to compare.
In reply to tmawer:

> Have climbed a number of cracks around my limit on quarried grit, such as Twicker, The Grader, Wilton Wall, Billy Whizz but have not managed to get myself on the equivalents on natural grit such as Emerald Crack, Sentinel Crack, The Dangler........perhaps just more intimidated by them?

I've not tried Emerald Crack but Sentinel Crack is ridiculous. I think it's just an outlier.
 Jimbo C 12 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Maybe the steep and sustained routes on quarried grit are harder as there is less friction, but the slabby routes are easier as there are more positive holds. Compare Millstone with Yarncliffe for example.
 deacondeacon 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

Aren't yarncliffe and millstone a very similar style of climbing. Both being quarried grit, with similar 'just off vertical slabs?
 andrewmc 12 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

How much grit is actually 'natural', and how much is quarried but older quarries? Parts of Stanage are quarried but I'm not sure I could identify which parts (although I have only been to Stanage once or twice).
 Andy Farnell 12 Nov 2015
In reply to MischaHY: Lets be honest, all limestone is harder and better than any scrittle at the same grade. Shitstone is conditions dependant bollocks.

Andy F

sid68 12 Nov 2015
Just different! If you train indoors on crimps then quarried will feel easier but you may struggle on traditional cracks and jamming. I find Natural grit seems to be more about awkward problems, slopers, cracks and jamming but I'm generalising of course!
 Morty 12 Nov 2015
In reply to andy farnell:

> Lets be honest, all limestone is harder and better than any scrittle at the same grade. Shitstone is conditions dependant bollocks.

> Andy F

Wash your mouth out, young man!
 Andy Farnell 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Morty:
> Wash your mouth out, young man!

Why? Lets be honest, in the UK the average grade on grit is probably VS. At most. Apart from the boulderers, for the 3 days a year its 'in condition'. On UK trad lime it'll be HVS/E1 at least, and on UK lime sport it'll be F7a or above. Probably.

Those who go 'Ooooh the Grit is great' are mostly cowbell carrying Ron hill and red sock wearing beardy bumblies. Possibly.

Andy F
Post edited at 20:05
 Morty 12 Nov 2015

Exactly! All of that ironmongery acts as a handicap. Add one grade per size 11 hex and one grade per Stanage walk-in. Add an extra grade per inch of beer belly and two grades for every half an hour sat around drinking coffee and eating pork pies. Your average VS feels like E10.
 Brass Nipples 12 Nov 2015

And what's your point?

Andy Farnell 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm: More people on average climb harder on the lime. Climbing harder means you are a better climber and therefore having more fun. Bimbling up VDiff grit chimneys or yarding between slopey breaks isn't real climbing.

Quarried grit is alright, only because it occasionally feels like limestone.

Andy F

TobyA 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

That he's better than you presumably.
 Michael Gordon 12 Nov 2015

> More people on average climb harder on the lime.
>

must be because the lime is easier

Andy Farnell 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> must be because the lime is easier

Maybe its because there are so many easy climbs on grit, but the nature of limestone (often steep and unrelenting with small hand and foot holds) means it mainly provides routes in the higher grades.

Andy F
 MischaHY 12 Nov 2015

Good god. I bet you're fun at parties!

Andy Farnell 12 Nov 2015
In reply to MischaHY:

> Good god. I bet you're fun at parties!

>

Life and soul

Andy F

> More people on average climb harder on the lime. Climbing harder means you are a better climber and therefore having more fun. Bimbling up VDiff grit chimneys or yarding between slopey breaks isn't real climbing.

> Quarried grit is alright, only because it occasionally feels like limestone.

> Andy F

Isn't it more a reflection of the lack of decent easy stuff on limestone. I could spend the next 10 minutes typing out a list of Grit Stone desperates but I don't have the time. Anyway what about all those other rock types which actually provide a good range of quality at all grade (Rhyolite, granite) surely your not going to claim they are inherently lower grade than limestone?
 andrewmc 13 Nov 2015

> Lets be honest, all limestone is harder and better than any scrittle at the same grade. Shitstone is conditions dependant bollocks.

> Andy F

A friend (and fan of limestone) once described it as (and I paraphrase badly) 'find a hold, pull hard'. Limestone is also nasty, often loose stuff with boring horizontal bedding (in Portland at least) and horrible polish.

Igneous rocks (preferably fine-grained granite or look-a-likes) are the only true path to righteousness!
 Valkyrie1968 13 Nov 2015

Hi Andy

Long time fan, first time caller. Here's my question: Out of your pathological hatreds of Franco Cookson and gritstone, which is more irrationally all-consuming?

Keep up the good work!
 UKB Shark 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> This is the point I've been making for ages with regard to jamming. It's not that jamming has got any harder, or even the average climber has become worse at jamming, it's that climbing walls are helping people train more at other aspects - use of small, positive crimpy holds for example. And because climbing grades are all relative, if you improve at one aspect, climbs which focus on that aspect will appear easy for the grade, and those which don't, will seem hard for the grade.

There also comes a point that you have to alter grades to reflect a major trend if routes are to be graded for the "average climber" and the average climber has become worse at jamming compared to non-jamming climbing or you could downgrade everything except jamming routes but I cant see that happening.
Post edited at 10:44
 galpinos 13 Nov 2015
In reply to andrewmcleod:

> ....... 'find a hold, pull hard'. .........

And hope the hold doesn't snap off......
 Goucho 13 Nov 2015

> Andy F

Limestone is for painters and decorators.

Gritstone is for artists.
 Andy Farnell 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Valkyrie1968:

> Hi Andy

> Long time fan, first time caller. Here's my question: Out of your pathological hatreds of Franco Cookson and gritstone, which is more irrationally all-consuming?

> Keep up the good work!

I don't hate Franco, I just don't understand where he gets his grades. I don't hate the grit, after all, anything is better than southern sandstone.

Andy F
 Jimbo C 13 Nov 2015
In reply to deacondeacon:

> Aren't yarncliffe and millstone a very similar style of climbing. Both being quarried grit, with similar 'just off vertical slabs?

At first glance they look similar. I find Millstone to be harder, maybe it's nearer to vertical. Yarncliffe has quite a lot of small holds that you don't see until you are on them but they're really positive. I've not found the same at Millstone, maybe I just need to do more climbs there.
 Brass Nipples 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> must be because the lime is easier

Yep, I heard lime was overgraded. A lime E3 is about grit HVS.
 Cake 13 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:
Done two soft E4s and a few E3s and E2s on natural grit. Also done Regent Street E2 at millstone and no others I think. I'd probably disagree that quarried is easier, but it does have more protection. Thinking about the E1s I've done on quarried like the embankments and delectable direct I'd say they are harder than the likes of Stanage e1s
 paul mitchell 14 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

That thing right of Master's Edge is on quarried grit.Most 'natural'grit has been quarried.
 Cake 15 Nov 2015
In reply to paul mitchell:

Do you mean that most natural grit routes have been quarried of that most natural grit crags have quarried bits? For instance, I know that marble wall and Apparent North at Stanage was quarried and I could believe that via media bay was quarried a long time ago, but surely not any of the rounded slopey things around them. Surely not any of Bamford?
 wbo 15 Nov 2015
In reply to paul mitchell:
I really doubt most natural grit has been quarried. For sure most of the well known natural crags have quarried sections but I doubt that's the majority.

You've got me thinking tho'
Post edited at 10:36
 deacondeacon 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Cake:

> Surely not any of Bamford?
Err, apart from Bamford Quarry

stp 15 Nov 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Quarried grit often seems longer with more endurance based difficulty. Natural grit seems more bouldery and intense. If you train/climb indoors gaining a bit of endurance is fairly easy which might help with quarried grit routes, but is likely to have less benefit with natural grit.

I think natural grit would favour those who are naturally strong but don't train climb indoors much.
 Cake 15 Nov 2015
In reply to deacondeacon:

Isn't that a separate edge?
OP tmawer 15 Nov 2015
In reply to stp:

I think I was ok at crimping and jamming,, and less good at smearing, using rounded holds, or being bold....all if which makes quarried grit somewhat more suited to me.
 Cake 15 Nov 2015
In reply to wbo:

Yeah, that's what I meant.
 deacondeacon 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Cake:
It's right next to the layby parking.
There's a really nice looking E5 but I've only looked at it, haven't climbed it.
 MischaHY 16 Nov 2015
In reply to stp:

I'm consistently amazed by the opinion that training indoors doesn't help with outcrop grit. There are slopers indoors too, you know

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...