UKC

Storm Abigail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 12 Nov 2015
Have the BBC gone all OTT because we have the first storm with a name? Or is the end of the world really nigh?

Perhaps those north of Glasgow can let us know how it pans out over the next 24 hours or so.......
 Pids 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:
Aye, I ditched the bike today due to the forecast winds, took the car and regretted it - lovely morning and only (west coast) drizzle on return journey home - usual November day oot there
 nniff 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Lovely morning for a bike ride into work; cool, blue sky day. It should make up for getting soaked on the way home.....
 Sherlock 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Completely normal November night here in Ullapool.Sounds like the islands had it worse.
Turned on the BBc news this morning to watch a reporter try and make a dramatic news story out of a strong breeze and a couple of squally showers.........
 skog 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Stirling was dreich, cool, and a bit breezy first thing.

Glasgow is dreich, cool and a bit breezy just now.

It's remarkably unremarkable for November, though it may at least mark the end of this exceptionally mild Autumn.

There seems to be some ferry disruption, though most services appear to still be running: https://www.calmac.co.uk/service-status

I imagine it's quite good poodle-flying weather a bit further West and North.

Perhaps they should only give names to exceptional storms?
In reply to skog:

> Perhaps they should only give names to exceptional storms?

I thought that was the idea. They'll run out of names pretty quick if they carry on at this rate.

Postmanpat 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Sherlock:

> Completely normal November night here in Ullapool.Sounds like the islands had it worse.

> Turned on the BBc news this morning to watch a reporter try and make a dramatic news story out of a strong breeze and a couple of squally showers.........

Yes but next time there is a storm in the home counties reported by the media the drone from North Britain will still be "they ignore us when we get some bad weather". Make up your minds.
 Bootrock 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Its been like a normal autumn day in Scotland. Dont know what the fuss is about.
abseil 13 Nov 2015
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> I thought that was the idea. They'll run out of names pretty quick if they carry on at this rate.

Good point but not really, they can move on to "Abigail 2...... Abigail 99" later.
 PPP 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

I am so glad I decided to come to the lab straight after work. I didn't prepare coffee and lunch this morning, but got a caffeine fix at work and enjoying M&Ms at the lab just now. I spent like 5 minutes outside and my trousers were soaking...
 deepsoup 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:
> Have the BBC gone all OTT because we have the first storm with a name?

Hurricane Bawbag had a name. (An official Scandinavian name, as well as it's *fantastic* unofficial Scottish one.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bawbag

Edit:
My mistake - the official name was German, from FU Berlin, who've been naming European vortexes (vortices?) for years. 'Bawbag' was 'Friedhelm'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think their name for 'Abigail' is 'Frank'.
http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/de/wetter/maps/Prognose_20151111.gif
Post edited at 11:24
Removed User 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Storm Abigale, surely?
 Nevis-the-cat 13 Nov 2015

I'm waiting for Storm Thorgerson and the delicate sound of thunder

JoshOvki 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

I thought storms in Scotland were just called "damper weather"
 dek 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

> Perhaps those north of Glasgow can let us know how it pans out over the next 24 hours or so.......

We've just renamed it 'A WeeGale'..

graeme jackson 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Just had a blizzard near Lanark. didn't lie anywhere except on the car.
 aln 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

Very good
 skog 13 Nov 2015
In reply to graeme jackson:

Why did you lie on your car?
 graeme jackson 13 Nov 2015
In reply to skog:

cos the ground was wet from all the snow melt
 skog 13 Nov 2015
In reply to graeme jackson:

Ah, makes sense!
 fmck 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Landing at Glasgow airport at 4pm last night with a squall blowing a cross wind was enough to get me to stop looking out the window. Watching the wing roll the plane up and down I couldn't believe he would be able to land the plane. When we got close enough for me to realise he was, I decided I didn't want to watch anymore : (
 alan moore 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

First snow on the Ochils.
Weather in Alloa is foul and my cycling kicks, decidedly swampy.
 Colin Moody 13 Nov 2015
In reply to skog:

> There seems to be some ferry disruption, though most services appear to still be running: https://www.calmac.co.uk/service-status

13 routes off now.
 Pbob 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Remarkable coincidence that the Met Office starts naming weather events just after being told that they will loose the contract for weather forecasting for the bbc. Is it possible to copyright a weather phenomenum?"
OP Babika 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Blimey. We've got Storm Barney now.

We are going to run through the alphabet if we have a new one every 4 days!
 JayK 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

Almost killed me this evening. We were just joking about Barney and the day after tomorrow news reporter getting taken out by an advertising board. Just after we started driving a huge wooden advertising board blew off its posts smashed through our windscreen.
Lusk 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Babika:

> Blimey. We've got Storm Barney now.

Should be Storm Babika really

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...