NEWS: Ben Nevis Walker Rescued From 'Certain Death' in Storm Abigail

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH News 13 Nov 2015
Rescue underway in storm 'Abigail', 2 kbAs storm force winds lashed northern Scotland yesterday Lochaber MRT were out saving a walker who'd set off up Ben Nevis despite the dire weather forecast

Read more
 bigbobbyking 13 Nov 2015
In reply to UKH News:

"Insurance is completely inadequate"

Would be interested to hear more about this... Is the issue that if a volunteer was injured in a rescue there would be nothing in place to cover loss of earnings etc? Whereas there is some kind of high quality compensation paid to a Police officer who is injured in the course of their job and can no longer work?
 KCheung 13 Nov 2015
In reply to bigbobbyking:

I'd also be interested to hear more on this matter.

I don't have any experience in the matter of insurance at all, so I'm merely writing from the inquisitive mind of a student.

Comparing the Police Rescue Teams to the Civilian Rescue Teams;

What insurance is in place at present, if any?

The people on Civilian Rescue Teams are volunteers who give up their free time at a moments notice and risk their own safety. Considering that they are doing the same job as a Police Rescue Team, therefore why is it the case that there is "completely inadequate" insurance?
 creag 13 Nov 2015
In reply to UKH News:

Why don't you email the team secretary? I'm sure he'll enlighten you to how little cover is provided for each potential accident outcome?
You'll be shocked...
Calski 13 Nov 2015
In reply to KCheung:
I'm on a MRT, so have some (limited) knowledge of this...

Police Scotland provide a level of insurance for all MR members when undergoing formal training or on a rescue. However, I've not heard of this issue being raised by Lochaber to Scottish Mountain Rescue, which is the representative body for all MRTs in Scotland. This is surprising given how strongly Lochaber seem to feel about it.

With regards to difference between Police Officers and MR volunteers; when a Police Officer is on a MR call out, he officially is on duty. Therefore he is insured as a Police Officer and an employee with benefits that will be linked to his employment Ts&Cs. Volunteers are given a standard level of cover that will understandably be different - for example, the insurance can't be linked to their pension entitlement as they're not employed by Police Scotland. It's just not sensible to compare the two.

However, if there is an issue with the insurance entitlement then this should absolutely be addressed. Personally, I know what cover is provided and I'm perfectly happy with it (as are my family).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...