UKC

First Kinder Winter Climb of the Year Sweepstake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 L.A. 16 Nov 2015
Scottish season has just about begun so when will that fine lingam of the Peak District Himal come into condition ? Winner gets a long damp and ultimately unrewarding walk in the Peak

No dates please No one cares
 ianstevens 16 Nov 2015
In reply to L.A.:

9th Never.
Clauso 16 Nov 2015
In reply to L.A.:

Hmmmm... Better get that smock sold on, I guess?
 Red Rover 16 Nov 2015
 Billhook 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Red Rover:
Brilliant reply!

And you're obviously a very keen - and wet climber!!
Post edited at 12:05
 Red Rover 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

Thanks! I've not climbed for nearly a year due to work, I missed a decent summer and a brilliant autumn, I was annoyed at that fact that I've got free time now but rubbish weather so I've decided form now on to ignore the weather and get something done, unless its dangerous rather than miserable. It will be good training for spending next summer climbing in Norway!
OP L.A. 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Red Rover:
Sir,
I must take exception to your earlier reply.
You claim in your profile to be a member of the Technical Winter Alpinism Training Society but the lackadaisical attitude you seem to be encouraging surely goes against the strict principles of that eminent society.
The minimum requirements for a safe ascent of the Kinder Himal at this time of year must surely be stout boots, trousers (see why below) and, since if has now snowed in Scotland, either a strong hickory alpenstock or a pair of Nomics. Your laissez faire attitude of climbing without the correct equipment will only encourage some of the younger chaps on here to try to emulate your feat and this will undoubtedly end with more benightments on some of the Peaks higher mountains, Monte Millstone or the Burbage Nordwand spring to mind.
Only today whilst rambling between Shining Tor and Windgather I (genuinely) encountered one of your 'fast and light style' compatriots wearing nothing but boots and carrying only a small sac. Unpleasant and dangerous for all in the strong wind.
Yours faithfully
Pat Pending

Red Rover 16 Nov 2015
In reply to L.A.:

Dear Sir/Madam

We at the Technical Winter Alpinism Training Society take safety in the mountains very seriously and are known for our considered and mature approach to alpinism. Our club is so well known that complete strangers commonly refer to us by our acronym when they encounter us out on the hill. Saturday's excercise was part of our latest addition to the training curriculum: 'How to Proceed if a Winter Route Suddenly Thaws'.

Please direct all further enquiries to our communications officer, Mrs Trellis, Wales.
OP L.A. 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Red Rover:
Sir/Madam/?
Thank you for your prompt reply. I can now appreciate why you were proceeding in such an apparently reckless manner on Saturday. Training for a Thawing Winter Route is something that can only be commended. I have previously met many of you T.W.A.T.S. on the hill and have always been impressed at your apparent hill decorum. I am sure therfore you can understand my initial disappointment at your apparent willful foolishness.
I shall however contact Mrs Trellis regarding the naked chap that I met on the hills today to confirm whether he was in fact one of your members. You may know him as he had a small blue sac in his hand ?
Regards
Pat Pending

Red Rover 16 Nov 2015
In reply to L.A.:

ANyone with their sac in their hand is bound to be one of us! Mrs Trellis will fill you in.
 barbeg 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Red Rover:

Hiya,

Getting filled in by Mrs. Trellis does not sound pleasant......

ANdy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...