UKC

Mid-weight overtrousers, not eVent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 16 Nov 2015
Hi,

Miss Santa has said she'll get me a new pair of overtrousers for Christmas to replace my trashed Marmot Precips. I'm probably being overly picky, but I can't find anything I like in the local shops, so looking for some recommendations. They would be for year round use in Scotland, not full on winter climbing/thrutching but certainly at risk of crampon snags, some reasonable wear and tear, and continuous rain. Therefore, looking for something in the mid-weight, mid-price category; don't need £400 climbing salopettes, but on the other hand I'm not sure lightweight, crisp packet fabrics would be durable enough and might get sweaty and annoying for all day use. Some critical thoughts on what's available locally:

Rab Bergen - Features and design wise pretty much ideal, but I won't buy eVent again. Long story short, had an eVent jacket, the fabric failed miserable after moderate use, I got soaked.
Rab NeoShell - Again good design, but at the pricey end and not sure on how well suited the fabric is to really wet conditions.
Berghaus Deluge - Cheap, available everywhere, but have that crisp packet feel and no crampon reinforcement.
Sprayway Mountain Rainpant - Good price for Gore-tex, but only a half leg zip, don't fancy shoving my boots through them on one leg in a hoolie.
Mountain Equipment Firefox - Potential option. I have the Firefox jacket and have similar concerns to eVent given the 'blotches' in the membrane I can see. Hasn't started leaking yet however.
Sherpa Lapka Rita - Same as Rab Bergen, looks like a good design, but not keen on eVent.

I'm probably being overly picky, and maybe eVent has improved since I last bought it (7-8 years ago now)? Regardless, thought I'd check for any left field options, as it seems most of my local shops hold limited stock compared to jackets. Any options for about £150 give or take, at least 3/4 zips, mid weight fabric that isn't eVent? Sounds like it should be easy but having a bit of a Goldilocks moment.
 LucaC 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Taurig:

I've got a pair of the rab neoshell ones, and some full bib Patagonia gore pro ones. I find I use the rab ones almost all the time in preference, unless it's a really terrible weather day and I'm going to be in my waterproofs from the car onwards. I've had them out for probably 50 days over the last 18 months and they are wearing ok, and I can only remember two days where they failed totally (and to be fair I think pretty much everything else would have as well!).
 BnB 16 Nov 2015
In reply to LJC:

^^^This ^^^

I'm a big fan of the Rab Stretch Neoshell pants. They aren't burly enough for a full on thrutchfest but fantastically comfortable and breathable. And they even keep you dry.
OP Taurig 16 Nov 2015
Interesting. I remember a few posts on here not long after Neoshell was launched talking about water getting pressed through under bag straps or kneeling, a cold sensation because of the air permeability, and the fabric coming apart after 6 months or so. I'd kind of written it off tbh, but two votes of confidence already?

That said, unfortunately the Stretch Neo pant looks to be a sale item in xxl sizes only now. Looks like it's been replaced by the Neo Guide, which is over 600g and has braces etc. Think that might be in the overkill/climbing bracket, not to mention £240 rrp.

Hawky 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Taurig:
I just got a pair of hagloffs roc 2 trousers for £199, 3 year guarantee with them and they seem bombproof. good fit and not baggy. I had a few pairs in the past all different brands and none look or feel like these.
OP Taurig 17 Nov 2015
In reply to ryan p:

Hadn't really looked at Haglofs, thanks for the tip. I like the look of their Grym pant, but holy moly they are expensive! I might keep an eye out for some sale items, but I'm usually a medium in everything so unlikely to find reductions.

Starting to think my options might be either a) get the Rab Bergens and accept they'll last 12-24 months before leaking or b) get some Paclite style, wear softshell as much as possible and put up with the rustling if need be in the rain!
 alimckay 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Taurig:

Berghaus helvellyn looks close to what you're after. Gore-Tex, 3/4 zips, a small area of tougher fabric on the ankle (not a proper crampon patch unfortunately), around £100.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...