UKC

Hut to Hut in the dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kingjam 16 Nov 2015
Hi

I have been heading off to the dolomites for a few years now and wondered if anyone knew of a week long itinerary where you could travel hut to hut with a combination of hiking , climbing ( ideally IV+ ) and ferrata.

Essentially looking for a bit of an adventure exploring around but getting some technical stuff in a long the way .

Thanks in advance
In reply to kingjam:

Have a look at the Brenta Group. There's a network of half a dozen or so huts that can be used and the range has the well known 'via delle brochette' VF as well as some good climbing which is detailed in the 100 classic dolomite climbs guidebook and the Apline Club's Dolomites East and West Guides.

We had a week there this year and just stayed in the huts, without going back to the valley, ticking off routes and then moving between huts or doing the odd bit of VF on our rest days. Email me if you want some details on the particular routes we did.

The huts are good, friendly and all have draft beer which made my week!

Neil
 Casa Alfredino 16 Nov 2015
In reply to kingjam:

If you want an adventurous area to explore you could check out Civetta and Moiazza. Not very well known by Brits but it has great climbing at passo Duran, Torre trieste and others and some of the best and hardest VF in the Dolomites. Not to mention Civetta being just a stonking mountain. It's easy to get to aswell with a train to Belluno, bus to Agordo and then buses back at the far end. You could also extend this to the Marmolada area where you have the Eterna VF or the west ridge.

The Quarto Grado series of guidebooks give details of some of these climbs and routes.

http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/uncategorized/the-west-ridge-of-marmolada-v...
Removed User 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

I agree the brenta group has everything and the hut network is ideal for a mix of classic rock and VF have fun!
 IPPurewater 17 Nov 2015
In reply to kingjam:

Some of Alta Via 1 or 2 perhaps.
 Brass Nipples 17 Nov 2015
In reply to kingjam:

Pick up a section of any of the AV's and add in what climbing and VF you like along the way. Most the of AVs are a week or more to walk so you might want to pick up a middle section of 3 days walking with 4 days of VF and climbing?

AV1 goes past Civetta, as well as Cinque Torres etc and can be done entirely on huts in 8-11 days walking. AV6 is the remotest and longest using bivvy huts a lot along the way, and generally takes 2-3 weeks incorporating VF along the way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...