UKC

Any Aberdeen Uni Medical students out there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Graeme G 16 Nov 2015
Looking for info on the interview. Appears there are multiple short interviews.

What should I expect?

Thanks
Graeme G 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Bump

Help? Anyone?
 MountainHare22 17 Nov 2015

Recent grad, so don't know much about the MMI system as interviewed before it was introduced. If its anything like Dundee's used to be then its probably a series of stations, a few of which where you will be asked normal interview questions, a few scenarios and some problem solving stations. The scenarios and PS are difficult to prepare for. As always find out about the uni, the course and have an answer to why medicine, and I guess have an idea about ethical issues in health care and topical issues. Know what sort of course Aberdeen has (integrated clinical and lecture based) and its unique selling points. Its quite fun if you get into the scenarios and problem solving stuff.
Graeme G 17 Nov 2015
In reply to MountainHare22:

Thanks. My daughter has been trying to get in for a couple of years and we're pretty much doing everything we can to help.
 Mike Cross 18 Nov 2015

Hi,

I was interviewed in 2013 so not too long ago. Points I can think of:

- They are MMI interviews but not in individual rooms like the 'example video' suggests. I.E. you may have people being interviewed in one room with just screens to divide - so don't get distracted!
- Questions are all fairly standard, can't remember any 'out there' questions. 'Revalidation' was a topic that came up that I am glad I was aware of as remember being asked about that. Don't ignore issues in England e.g. junior doctors contract and reports from rest of UK.
- There are scenarios, but these are not testing knowledge, rather skills like communication, empathy, understanding, prioritisation etc. E.G. Woman post stroke, assess her needs, get her point of view on the situation.
- Know and (be interested in!) Aberdeen and its unique points (Remote and Rural programme, early patient contact, history - MRI scanner development).
- The course is systems based and physiology, anatomy and disease are all taught as a block e.g. respiratory course. This was a big drawback of the pre-2008 course so I've been told and they seem to have put a lot of effort into restructuring it.

I think the main general point is be yourself, not who you think they want you to be. You should have all the skills it takes and the point of the interview is to just let them know that. Easy writing that now post interview though!

Hope that helps.

Mike
Graeme G 18 Nov 2015
In reply to Mike Cross:

Thanks for this, here's hoping she gets in

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...