UKC

Car insurance question: identifying a car.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 18 Nov 2015

Is it possible for an insurer to identify a car based on the name and address of the owner and type of car (without reg no)?

My wife has had a small prang and doesn't have the reg no of the other car.
 climbwhenready 18 Nov 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

I don't *think* they *have* to know the car reg - I think they normally use it to look up the name/address of the owner and their insurance company. But they can ask the owner if you know their name...
In reply to Postmanpat:
Don't know answer, but in case you were thinking of asking DVLA for further details, don't bother as they apparently can not access their database without a registration number as I discovered last week.

If you give your insurer as much detail as you know, I would be surprised if they did not have the ability to find full car details bearing in mind that they have access to the Motor Insurance Database for fraud etc purposes. BTW, your access to the MID needs the third party Registration number at least for the online form. You could phone them direct though and see if they can do a check on partial details?
KevinD 18 Nov 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:
Cant see that being a problem so long as you have a name and address. Might take longer but cant see it being a stopper.

Depends on what you mean by identify though? For personal use or for making a claim?
Post edited at 11:55
OP Postmanpat 18 Nov 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:
Thanks all, it seems the insurer can proceed with the name and address you have suggested.
Post edited at 12:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...