UKC

Help yesterday lead my first 6c (been climbing 10 months)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
crux_crusader 19 Nov 2015
i climb indoors in scotland, just wondering what i could do to progress to 7a level , i learned to top rop and did this for about 6 months first only been lead climbing for few months, i am at a 7a with my top ropping just wanted to improve my leadding cheers guys
 Skip 19 Nov 2015
In reply to crux_crusader:
6c - 10 months!

You don't need any help, just keep on doing whatever it is you're doing.
Post edited at 11:42
 Mick Ward 19 Nov 2015
In reply to crux_crusader:

Have two grades - an onsight grade and a redpoint (i.e. worked grade). If I were you, I'd onsight dozens and dozens of routes at F5, F6a, F6a+, etc. Build up a pyramid. Do this at different walls, if you can, and on different angles, e.g. overhanging jugfests to crimpy slabs/walls.

This mileage will improve you as a 'rounded' climber, albeit just inside. Additionally, it'll provide good warm-ups. At the end of an onsighting session, I'd have a project, say a 7a or 7a+ to top-rope/learn the moves. Best to do this in lots of sections, at first, then decrease the sections, i.e. link sections. Then lead. Remember a clip is a move (so learn the clips!) and you can have the first quickdraw pre-clipped when leading - so no worries about decking.

At the end of a project session (don't bore your belayer to death!), do some more onsighting to warm down and cos it's good for you.

After a few weeks, you'll have a very definite maximum onsight grade and redpoint grade. Then move the latter up first, followed by the former.

Next year, try to get outside, sport climbing. It's a whole different ballpark! At first, expect to drop several grades for onsighting. But you'll soon build back up again.

And then to trad climbing - which is even more different and another subject entirely.

Be patient. Don't get injured. Have fun. You've got all of your life to get better.

Mick
 keith sanders 19 Nov 2015
In reply to Mick Ward:

Think I'll take your advise as well Mick, all sounds sense
keith s
 Mick Ward 19 Nov 2015
In reply to keith sanders:

And what might make even more sense, Keith, if I just took it myself!

But nope, I'm too busy staggering about in a monster weighted vest, trying to do three finger deadhangs off wee crimps on a 45 degree board. As you might imagine contact doesn't last very long. (Count to three and... oh, forget it!)

Or plodding around micro boulders with a myriad mats strapped around me, trying to work out how to open/close 'em and not trip over 'em. With the obligatory beanie of course.

Mick (63, mental age 14!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...