UKC

Disabled help?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Antobailie 21 Nov 2015
Hi guys I hope you don't mind me posting here as it is not strictly climbing releated!!!

I'm currently disabled due to an accident several years ago which has left me with very little strength in my legs. I recently purchased an off road mobility scooter which allows me to get outdoors again. Because of my disability I find it very difficult to produce my own body heat through movement etc, I was wondering could you please give me some advice on clothing/layering products which will allow me to continue to enjoy the outdoors even during winter. I currently wear a baselayer and a Rab infinity jacket, however I still feel cold I was wondering as I'm having difficulty building my own body heat should I be looking at cotton material or would this be the wrong material? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 marsbar 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Antobailie:
I would think as you don't have much movement in your legs, keeping them warm would really help. Fleecy trousers covered by a wind proof layer would be my recommendation. Either softshell trousers, eg. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/womens/clothing/legwear/softshell-trousers or if its really cold maybe even a fleece blanket as well and then a cut down sleeping bag cover.

Or maybe ski trousers is another option. Try Tk maxx
Post edited at 13:42
 Mountain Llama 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Antobailie:
Hi

the string vest type base layers by Bryjne work well, http://www.brynje-shop.com/super-thermo-c12

A good article here about layering clothes etc http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_comfort_game.

I would second keeping your legs and feet warm, plus a good hat and gloves, and remember to keep your wrists warm as well with long gloves or base layers with thumb loops.

Davey
Post edited at 13:51
 gethin_allen 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Antobailie:
Keeping warm while not moving is always hard, even for fully healthy people. I'd be looking at some primaloft (synthetic insulation) insulated trousers. There are various options in the outdoorsy market but you can pick up good ex army stuff on ebay a lot cheaper if you don't mind them being olive green.
Search for Softie reversible trousers, they are a sand colour on the one side so a bit less ex-mod than the others.
Post edited at 13:57
 Mr Lopez 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Antobailie:

Heated clothing is the way to go. Loads of options of clothing made for motorcycling that plugs into the bike's battery (you'll need to check if they'll work on your scooter's battery). Otherwise there are companies that make them with their own power source.

You could even attach a little marine 12v battery on the scooter somewhwere and use that to power heated clothing or a 12v electric blanket.
Antobailie 21 Nov 2015
In reply to gethin_allen: Hi Guys thanks for all the answers so far!!!!

I should have explained I have the leg area sorted with buffalo system trousers which I find great I find my upper body is always cold so if you could advise on that area I would greatly appreciate it..

Thanks so much for all the replies so far it means a lot!!!

In reply to Antobailie:

This is a *lot* more useful a thread than most of the stuff that gets posted on here, A, so thanks for posting (I'm off to look at the softie trousers in a mo). I hope you find some of the advice useful.

I'd second most of the advice already given - but perhaps a note of caution with heated clothing *if* any of your issues relate to poor peripheral circulation. Although they don't get all that hot, application of direct heat to tissue that is poorly supplied with blood can lead to thermal tissue damage surprisingly quickly (it's a common theme under anaesthesia in veterinary surgery). If on the other hand, your problems are solely neurological, it might not be an issue - but best to check with your doc first.

I've got to the stage in life where I spend more time on touchlines watching than actual running about, and I definitely agree that trapping heat when inactive is a major issue: I now use scarves, cinch drawstrings in and make sure my sleeves overlap gloves. Hood / hat combos are a must as well and I've always favoured a pair of Ron Hill tracksters under trousers - never let me down.

My favoured combo is baselayer - PHD minimus vest - Rab belay jacket - waterproof. For hands, I've a pair of waterproof Montane primaloft mitts, with a very thin pair of stretchy gloves underneath. For feet, smartwool socks and NEVER wellies. That lot generally sees me through the boy's footie practice. Plus a giant lamb and mint pasty from the local bakery.
In reply to Antobailie:

Another recommendation for heated jackets etc for motorcycling - available either with their own rechargeable battery pack or running off the vehicles battery.
 Brass Nipples 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Antobailie:

Since you like the buffalo for your legs have you considered a buffalo top as well?

Antobailie 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

Yes I have however after reading on here I'm thinking I need to focus on a good quality midlayer.

What are your thoughts on cotton I know it is an issue when however as I'm not doing any physical work whilst on the scooter would it work better for me than the likes of a hybrid base/midlayer..

Thanks again for all the help I have received I'm amazed at how many informative replies I have received!!!!

gethin_allen 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Antobailie:

> What are your thoughts on cotton...

I'd say avoid it, it holds too much moisture for my liking, try merino wool if you want something less synthetic feeling. it's not as technically good as synthetics but it's much better than cotton.
The smartwool and ice braker stuff is nice but very expensive. Alpkit have started doing some stuff that looks ok and is a little cheaper but I haven't tried it.
 marsbar 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Antobailie:

I'm not really sure about cotton when it's dry. I guess fluffy cotton might be warm. I just tend to wear lots of fleece and a down jacket or even a down vest and then down jacket.
 Brass Nipples 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Antobailie:

How about a silk layer. They have a high warmth to weight ratio, plus a wool layer.
 arch 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Antobailie:

Food and warm drink.

You can have the best layering system in the world but if you're cold when you put it on, in it self, it wont warm you up. It will stop you getting colder, but it wont warm you. Eating or drinking something warm will make your body produce warmth from inside and help you to get warm. I've found this out from years of fishing. Years ago I'd never finish a flask of coffee whilst in a match in winter. Nowadays I do and I wear good clothing. Having warm feet helps too.
 Run_Ross_Run 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Antobailie:

For a base layer i find my donkeys old Lowe Alpine Dryflo works a treat, much warmer than others i wear.

Not sure its still available but if it is i'd take a look at them.

For static use in cold conditions i wear my Montane Extreme jacket as an outer, think fibre pile (Buffalo). Its pretty warm, downside is bulk though.

Ridge 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Antobailie:

> Yes I have however after reading on here I'm thinking I need to focus on a good quality midlayer.

> What are your thoughts on cotton I know it is an issue when however as I'm not doing any physical work whilst on the scooter would it work better for me than the likes of a hybrid base/midlayer..

As said before Cotton isn't a particularly good choice. There are a fair few synthetic micro fleeces that could do the job, or maybe some of the paramo midlayers. The hot drinks suggestion is a good one, as it gets heat to the core.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...