UKC

info on San Diego

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snowcat 21 Nov 2015
I have some work in San Diego in early January (yes I know, lucky me) and I am wondering about the possibility of getting out for a day's climbing when I am there. Any advice on locations/weather/types of routes appreciated.
cheers
Sue
cb294 21 Nov 2015
In reply to snowcat:

Climbing very close to SD is a bit crap, some crags are up near the navy airbase.

One long day can take you to Joshua Tree, but if your time is that limited I would recommend going to Anza Borrego Desert State park and go hiking. On the East side there is a very nice slot canyon maybe a meter wide in some bits.

CB
 IainL 21 Nov 2015
In reply to snowcat:

Try Supertopo. There are some granite outcrops locally. Take rock boots anyway.
OP snowcat 21 Nov 2015
In reply to cb294:

Thanks - it may have to be hiking then
OP snowcat 21 Nov 2015
In reply to IainL:

Rockboots will at least be useful for the wall too
In reply to snowcat:

I've done a fair bit on granite in Mission Valley (not mission gorge) which isn't too far a drive from downtown SD. Quite a lot of well bolted routes, mostly single pitch. Quite a lot of trad protected typical granite cracks too.
Some bouldering at La Jolla on the beach. Good surfing with long board hire at Mission Beach.
If you have more time, it's worth a drive up to Joshua Tree (via Palm Springs is the best way to go). If you have the time and a car, it's worth jumping over the border down to Baja California on the Mexican side. I've only bouldered there, and it was excellent. Watch your back near San Ysidro and Tiajuana if you do cross the border.
Hope you have a good time.
 Robert Durran 21 Nov 2015
In reply to snowcat:

The superb Taquitz/Suicide is day trippable though may be snowbound. If not, Suicide might be ok on a calm sunny day,
 Dave Garnett 22 Nov 2015
In reply to snowcat:

Desert climbing is good at that time of year and there's loads of good (and very beautiful and remote) bouldering areas in and around the Anza Borrego. I agree with many of the suggestions already made (although I haven't yet made it to the slot canyon - it's on my list). J Tree is a couple of hours away and is must-do, even on your own (there's always Gunsmoke). Suicide / Tahquitz is brilliant but may be anything from a bit parky in the shade to full winter conditions in January depending the weather - worth going for the hiking anyway.

I'd really recommend Mount Woodson - fantastic granite bouldering and brilliant one pitch trad cragging if you can find a partner. Cracks and slabs a speciality. Santee is OK local suburban bouldering (a bit like Caley), McCain Valley is bit difficult to figure out without some local help and seems to involve some bhundu bashing to find things. I've only been to Mission Gorge on my own and I thought it was a bit scary as a bouldering /soloing venue but probably quite good with a rope.

Try to get hold of the Dave Kennedy / Chris Hubbard San Diego County Climbing Guide and see if you can find the problem on the front cover (Forca). And then see if you think it's V4!

Get in touch and you can borrow my guide, as long as I get it back!

rpc 23 Nov 2015
In reply to snowcat:

I have not been, but this looks pretty good:
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/el-cajon-mountain/105793290

granite, multi-pitch, not too far
 Dave Garnett 23 Nov 2015
In reply to rpc:

It does look good and I've not been either. Not up close, anyway. Definitely need a partner for this one.
 dagibbs 23 Nov 2015
In reply to snowcat:

There's a bunch of stuff in the area:

https://www.thecrag.com/climbing/united-states/california/san-diego-area

I've only climbed at the Santee boulder field, which is a nice accessible boulder field within an easy drive of San Diego. Parking is at a city park across the street from it, and the approach is fairly short. There's enough problems with flat landings for at least a day's worth of fun even without a crash pad.

rpc 23 Nov 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Also, much more impressive, a tad further but more logistically complex (can't drive US rental cars into Mex.)...on the other hand, if you found an SD local who goes there, looks like an amazing area:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/caon-el-tajo/110941305

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...