UKC

Using climbing wall steel draws outdoors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Juan S 21 Nov 2015
Are there any reasons why you shouldn't use a climbing wall style draw for the first draw of sports routes/to lower the first person from a sports route?

Inspired by GridNorth's thread regarding revolver carabiners (http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=629017)
 The Potato 21 Nov 2015
In reply to Juan S:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=629031

Might qualify for this thread?

There are no rules or laws, just accept the risk of whatever you choose to use

Generally the reason different quick draws are used outside ia that they need to be carried and so are lighter.
Indoor draws are just as safe if not stronger.
Post edited at 00:09
 Trangia 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Juan S:

Steel crabs outdoors?

Whatever next!?
 jimtitt 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Juan S:

Sounds dangerous to me
In reply to Trangia:

> Steel crabs outdoors?

> Whatever next!?

Drilled-out nuts and washing line? Everything goes in cycles.
 gethin_allen 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Juan S:
Reading rock and ice magazine I see some crags in the USA are being equipped with "perma-draws", steel carabiners linked by swaged steel wire.
This is in response to ropes getting cut by worn carabiners with sharp edges (often at the first bolt).
I can't see this happening here, it's visually obtrusive and someone would probably steal them.
Post edited at 09:09
OP Juan S 22 Nov 2015
In reply to jimtitt:

Serves me right for not proofreading what I write. I guess I should have asked whether weight was the only downside. The upside obviously being money . I was thinking of getting a few for when I go out with beginners who like to top-rope a lot of routes, as I've had to replace a bunch of draws recently due to wear from the rope.
 AlanLittle 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Juan S:

I use a steel krab for my grigri, having got bored with having to replace knackered alloy ones.

Do people use softer alloy or thinner anodising these days? I have an old HMS krab that I used for my belay device for years in the 90s and it's barely marked: I have modern ones that have had major grooves within a couple of years. Otoh i mostly did trad climbing in the UK in the 90s, so not much lowering or abbing. Nowadays I mostly do sport climbs and alpine multipitch with lots of lowering & abbing, so maybe that's the difference.
 faffergotgunz 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Juan S:

I iz usin 1s jackd from da Castle innit. Seem sound 2me. Heavy dough.
 Aigen 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Juan S:

Biners cost about 3 quid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...