UKC

Regional Supermarkets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 21 Nov 2015
Being a Lancastrian I'm very familiar with the rather splendid Booths, I lived in London for a bit, so I am familiar with Budgens and of course Waitrose is a bit sparse on the ground in these parts.

So tell me about the 'local' supermarkets in your region!
 marsbar 22 Nov 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

TFC. It's like being on holiday, so many yummy things. http://www.tfcsupermarkets.com
 wintertree 22 Nov 2015

Lots of "Bargain Booze" and "Boozebusters" in the north east...
 yorkshireman 22 Nov 2015
When I grew up in Hull, it was always 'Jacksons'. Nothing special, just a fairly low-mid market smallish supermarket chain - light blue logo/colours. I even worked in one for a while when I was a student - stacking shelves and trying to stop the local low-lifes from stealing lighter fluid. I'm not sure if they're still going or have been bought out by somebody else.

I spent 15 years down south after that, Oxford then London so got familiar with Waitrose and Budgens as well (I tried to get a Waitrose delivery to my parents back home the other day - there isn't one within 70 miles of where they live!).

Now I've lived in France for 4 years I'm getting used to a whole new pecking order in the supermarkets. Our local national chain is Super U, which seem fine although I went to Monoprix in Grenoble yesterday and was surprised to find they sell (very good, lots of range and plenty of organic, free range) food. They're a bit like a cross between BHS and M&S, with a hidden food section downstairs.

Locally its now the Huit £ 8 - a local store in our village which is an offshoot of Carrefour I think. A bit of a lie because it's never open 8 til 8 - has random French hours instead that change depending on the tourist season too.
Post edited at 10:20
 nastyned 22 Nov 2015

Where I used to work in Kent near the Sussex border Jempsons was the local supermarket. Surprisingly the locals didn't seem keen on them though.

Booths for me.

Does anyone remember Wm. Low. Especially the one in Fort William
 ThunderCat 22 Nov 2015
We had one in Sunderland called "Presto". Not sure if it was a local one, but no one else I know from different parts of the country seems to have ever heard of it.

I don't think it's around anymore up there.

Since reading your OP, the radio jingle "You'll be impressed in Presto's" has embedded itself firmly in my mind. Many thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presto_(UK_supermarket)

Seems to have been a northern / scottish brand with an eventual nationwide presence. Name derived from "Prestonpans" (?) where the first store was opened...
Post edited at 11:42
 rj_townsend 22 Nov 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:

> When I grew up in Hull, it was always 'Jacksons'. Nothing special, just a fairly low-mid market smallish supermarket chain - light blue logo/colours. I even worked in one for a while when I was a student - stacking shelves and trying to stop the local low-lifes from stealing lighter fluid. I'm not sure if they're still going or have been bought out by somebody else.

I liked Jacksons when in lived in Hull. Think they've converted to Sainsburys Local stores now.
 marsbar 22 Nov 2015
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

I do. Think they turned into Morrisons?
 Rich K 22 Nov 2015
In reply to ThunderCat:

There used to be a Presto in Cheltenham, which then became Safeway and then Morrison's.
 bigbobbyking 22 Nov 2015
In reply to marsbar:

"Willie Lows" as my mum called it was taken over by Tesco.
 toad 22 Nov 2015

Harry Tuffins seem to inhabit the Welsh/ English borders. Kind of like a redneck Tesco, I'm sort of surprised they don't sell ammunition

My home town (Selby, nearish York) seems to have been graveyard for regional grocery stores - Prestos, Jacksons, Hillards, Kwiksave all found a (temporary) home there. The latter was particularly depressing - a visit there was like a window into what life might be like in communist Russia: beaten-down looking people shuffling alongside empty shelves.... pensioners fighting over the last turnip...... all those markets lost in time, like tears...in...rain.
Morrisons are now one of the bigger players but it wasn't always the case. In the 1950's my Father-in-Law ran a taxi business in Bradford. His best fare of the year was when William Morrison wanted to inspect his 6 grocery stores in the City. The meter ran all day and the tip was a substantial hamper of food. It would be quite a fare today.
 Dr.S at work 22 Nov 2015
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

> The latter was particularly depressing - a visit there was like a window into what life might be like in communist Russia: beaten-down looking people shuffling alongside empty shelves.... pensioners fighting over the last turnip...... all those markets lost in time, like tears...in...rain.

I think you are describing the ASDA in Connah's Quay, not a local chain, but certainly local people....
 graeme jackson 23 Nov 2015
In reply to ThunderCat:

> We had one in Sunderland called "Presto". Not sure if it was a local one, but no one else I know from different parts of the country seems to have ever heard of it.

Had one in Blyth where the railway station used to be - now a much bigger morrisons. Also had one in cramlington where I used to work in the fruit and veg section.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...