UKC

Exercise bike for home use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Can anyone recommend an exercise bike for use at home, ideally less than about £200?

Yes, I know that I could get a proper bike and go for a ride, but various factors have conspired to make that very much off the menu. Specifically, I have MS and my balance is less than ideal, plus I can quickly and unpredictably run out of steam and don't wish to find myself, all energy spent, a distance away from home.

But I do need something to improve muscle fitness and tone in my legs; hence the exercise bike.

So, any thoughts on what's good or bad, must haves or steer well clears? Ta muchly.

T.
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Had a Decathlon one for a few years. Gets regularly used. Quite large and requires a plug socket for it to work. It's very fluid to pedal even on the hardest setting (not as smooth as an actual bike but close). This latter feature seems to be the clincher - some just feel horrendous to pedal.

Think it was a tad over your budget though. Spinning cycles seem to be slightly cheaper.
 jon 22 Nov 2015

First of all, sorry to hear you have MS. Is it a recent thing or have you had it a while? I only ask as a friend of mine in the States was diagnosed 9 months ago. Now that he's come to terms with it and the medication is sorted, he's gone from strength to strength and has managed to get back to doing mountain races and triathlons (in his age category over 60s) and is training for the skiing season. He's well aware that the meds hold off relapses rather than cure, but it would seem that these combined with a positive attitude are certainly working for him.

I don't have an exercise bike but do have an eliptical trainer which would seem to me to be less specific than a bike and maybe more appropriate to climbing/walking/mountaineering. Ours came from Decathlon and wasn't very expensive - can't remember hos much - a couple of hundred or so, maybe...
 Dave B 22 Nov 2015

The aldi exercise bike I got about 7 years ago is good for the money... About £140 I recall. Then use online sufferfest style videos to inspire... Though none are as good as the genuine article.

In reply to everyone:

Cheers for the responses guys, I shall check out what Decathalon have on offer; I hadn't thought to look at what they offer as the nearest shop's in Southampton, so not close, but the web's a wonderful thing.

Was diagnosed with MS back in 1992 Jon so it isn't a new thing, it's just moved from relapse/remit to secondary progressive over the last few years. Which isn't a cheery thing but I have to agree about the positive attitude; on the one hand, MS-related issues meant that I was forced to retire two years ago. One the other, I don't have to go to work any more. Back on that first hand, I can no longer do things which I have enjoyed for many years such as climbing and hillwalking. On the other, I can (and do) do what I can whenever I can. And every day when my wife gets up and goes to work leaving me in bed, she hates me a little bit more; which we're both cool with, it's just that one of us is driving to Bristol while the other can go back to sleep.

Life's path can contain twists and turns...

But thanks everyone for the advice, I shall follow it up. Cheers!

T.
 marsbar 22 Nov 2015

It might be worth a look on eBay, exercise bike is the kind of thing people spend a lot on and then don't use.
 Andy Morley 22 Nov 2015

I use a Nordictrak ski machine rather than a 'bike'. It works upper body as well as lower, it's made partly of wood so it looks more like furniture and it folds up fairly small - it's absolutely brilliant.

Sadly they don't make them anymore but 2nd hand ones sell for not very much money on eBay.
 tony 23 Nov 2015

As an alternative to an exercise bike, you could get a turbo trainer and a cheap second-hand bike for it. You can get basic-but-perfectly-functional turbo trainers for £100 or so, and I picked up a perfectly decent old road bike from out local bike recycling place for £40.

One thing to be aware of is that it's a deadly dull way of getting exercise, so arm yourself with decent distraction.
 winhill 23 Nov 2015

I'd echo what people are mostly saying here, especially check fleabay, as if you get something you don't like it costs next to nothing and you could always try to resell it.

The only thing I'd add is possibly look at a recumbent, a few on fleabay for £30 now, could be much better if you have balance issues.

I got one when I had a knee operation and I found the turbo a bit difficult to get on and off, especially as I couldn't risk falling onto the new knee.

The added bonus is that for a very dull form of exercise, I found I could read or watch tv or surf the net at the same time ( I was mobilising the joint though, rather than looking to build strength, so not pushing myself).
 Tall Clare 23 Nov 2015

This might be of no help whatsoever, but anyway... my brother was diagnosed with MS a couple of years ago, and whilst he seems to be holding a lot of symptoms at bay at this stage by having adopted a pretty radical (certainly for him!) diet, he says he's already getting achy legs. Where he works offers lunchtime spinning classes so he's trying to do those regularly (near-daily, I think), and he says that helps. Spinning always seems a bit full on to me (but then I'm a wimp!)

Mr TC is using something called Zwift with his bike/turbo trainer - it's a bit like all the sufferfest videos crossed with Strava, in that you can 'race' against people in real time. Apparently it reduces the tedium a bit.
In reply to everybody:

Thanks for the replies, much to consider there. A recumbent seems sensible so shall look for one of those first and yes, I've had a scan on ebay. If I buy from there, I may need to borrow a bigger car to get something home...shouldn't be an issue though.

Tall Clare, I remember you saying your brother had been diagnosed with MS. Hope he's faring as well as he can.

And do excuse my ignorance, but just what is spinning and how does it differ from using an exercise bike as you'd normally do?

Cheers,

T.
In reply to everyone:

Thanks for the helpful comments chaps. In the end I've bought a cross-trainer from eBay for £47. I think it and I are going to become rather familiar with each other through the winter months and a fitter, and slimmer, me shall emerge from the garage in spring.

Cheers all,

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...