UKC

spd pedals on road bike - pros / cons ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 24 Nov 2015
Ive got spd pedals on my mtb and spd-sl on road bike but i get a bit fed up of the cleats on the spd-sl shoes even though ive used them for years.
Is there any disadvantage to using spd pedals on a road bike in terms of performance and comfort?
 balmybaldwin 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

Yes. You have a less stable platform for delivering power which is especially noticeable when you are tired. As you've got both just swap over and give it a try...it might not bother you.
 LastBoyScout 24 Nov 2015

The bigger SPD-SL cleats and pedals are more stable and spread the load better, so you get better transfer of power and, depending on the stiffness of your shoes, more comfort.

Other than that, not much, unless you're really getting down to marginal gains territory.
cb294 24 Nov 2015

And you get massive negative style points, one should never put anything but look or time compatible pedals on a road bike. spd, what next, studded tyres?

CB

Without the troll hat, I believe it will work, but would, with a typical MTB cleat and pedal clamp combination, offer too much sideways rotation for a true road bike feel.
 TomBaker 24 Nov 2015

Jumping on someone elses topic, is there an alternative thats more hard wearing to SPD-SL cleats? I seem to have destroyed a pair in about a month, just from riding and walking at lunch stops and the end of the day.
 Brass Nipples 24 Nov 2015
No downsides at all, with many upsides. Go for it.
Post edited at 13:03
 cousin nick 24 Nov 2015

I have SPD pedals on my MTB (M520) and my road bike (A520).
The principal reason, being a Cornish tight-wad, was that I don't need another pair of shoes!
An added bonus is that I can walk normally whilst wearing them.
N
OP The Potato 24 Nov 2015

yeah good idea ive got some a520 pedals and ill give them a go with my mtb shoes (when its dark and nobody is looking )
If that works then ill probably order some Shimano RT33 shoes which are road shoes which take spd cleats and have a rubber grip on the bottom so you can actually walk.
 IMA 24 Nov 2015

SPD
Pro - lighter, possibly need fewer shoes, should you walk in mud, easier to clean out as you clip in, , 'easier to walk in' (not sure I think there is enough difference personally)

Neg - Not as comfortable over long time/distance, less power on the stroke, more lateral movement (knee problems?)

I have SPD on the mtb and the cx but SL on the road.
I wouldn't put spd pedals on my road bike, I stay clipped in for longer periods and so the comfort and power matters.
Why not consider a pair of MTB shoes and a pair of road shoes.

RE: TomB, which brand of cleats, because going through a set in a month would be odd. I Probably go through my Shimano yellow once a year, riding 4 times a week walking to and from places in them, essentially not taking any care
 TomBaker 24 Nov 2015
In reply to IMA:

It was Shimano brand yellow ones. That was literally 3 weeks of commuting, the dragon ride (120ish miles) in south wales and a 4 days 200 mile jobbie in north wales. They were completely shot after that, I can only assume it was from walking in them rather than the riding.
 The New NickB 24 Nov 2015
In reply to TomBaker:

It's walking, I managed to pretty much destroy a pair in an afternoon, because I ended up walking a mile a couple of miles in them. Current pair have lasted well over a year.
 Brass Nipples 24 Nov 2015

Don't believe anyone who says road shoes are more comfortable over long distance. That's nonsense, it's down to sole stiffness primarily. Not whether it's road or MTB.

Chris the Tall 24 Nov 2015
I'm quite happy to stick with my MTB pedals and shoes on a road bike. It's what I'm used to, so reducing the risk of me failing to unclip at lights. It's a lot easier to walk into a cafe, pub or train station. And I don't care if roadies look down on me - I don't seem to get overtaken very often so it can't be that much of a handicap. But if I were to get a some sneers and it came to a fist fight, I'd fancy my chances against someone wearing proper road shoes and cleats !!
Post edited at 14:02
 Siward 24 Nov 2015

I use shimano a600 so called 'touring' pedals, which are standard spd's albeit nice and shiny.

They are fine for anything a mere mortal might get up to and I don't have to wear silly shoes.

blurty 24 Nov 2015
In reply to TomBaker:

> Jumping on someone elses topic, is there an alternative thats more hard wearing to SPD-SL cleats? I seem to have destroyed a pair in about a month, just from riding and walking at lunch stops and the end of the day.

Repair the soft rubber bits with Sugru or Shoegoo
xyz 24 Nov 2015
In reply to TomBaker:

I use Speedplay Zero pedals on my road bikes they super light, very durable, provide unbelievable power transfer, are double sided, easy to maintain and probably the most adjustable pedal system on the market. I cannot recommend them more strongly.
 coinneach 24 Nov 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

mtb shoes for me on both too. At this time of year it makes no difference any way as I have bootees on top anyway.

We met a guy on one of the Tour Of Britain stages who had taken off his road shoes and was wearing a pair of espadrilles as he watched the riders come through.
In reply to TomBaker

My Brother in law has covers that go over his cleats to protect them when walking.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano-spd-sl-smsh45-cleat-cover-id89987.ht...
In reply to IMA:

> more lateral movement (knee problems?)

I'd suggest that more lateral movement is likely to reduce knee problems.

Lack of lateral movement, or angular float in the cleat, forces the knee into a possibly unnatural alignment; that's why it's important to note the rest position of your foot, and set the cleat to try to emulate that position when on the bike. Allowing the foot to float in the pedal more allows the knee to adopt its natural position during the pedal cycle.
 Mr Messy 27 Nov 2015

I use SPDs on my mountain bike and have them on my thash and racing road bikes. When I went for a bike fit the cleat on my right shoe was moved to get my knee to track inline. So for me all the positives no negatives. Also living in Yorkshire it makes hill starts at traffic lights so much safer. On my road bikes I use the SPD touring pedal so there is a large surface area. My Sidi shoes are pretty siff.
Rigid Raider 27 Nov 2015

A Look Keo and road shoe setup weighs around half the weight of an SPD setup thanks to the thick rubber sole on the SPD she, needed to create the well, and the heavy build of the pedal.

A well worn-in pair of road shoes is superbly comfortable and the fit allows you to tighten the straps for those competitive moments when you are really giving it some beans and want to be as connected as possible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...