UKC

It goes up to 11...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Amazing the reach of this joke...

I was watching 'ben and hollies little kingdom' this morning (a work of genius itself- most of the humour is totally wasted on its target audience and is actually for the parents watching it with them...), and queen thistle's baking was so awful that it was only fit to use as construction materials. To prove the suitability of her rock buns for this, the wise old elf put one in a machine to test its strength- the dial of which went, of course, up to 11...

Any other unexpected places that this joke has popped up...?

And how good is 'Ben and holly'...? Nanny plum is quite possibly the funniest character on telly at the minute...

Cheers
Gregor
Post edited at 12:42
 rich H0001 25 Nov 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Not checked in a while but the volume on the iPlayer used to go up to 11.
 mountainbagger 25 Nov 2015
In reply to rich H0001:

> Not checked in a while but the volume on the iPlayer used to go up to 11.

http://rxdxt.tumblr.com/post/560540392/why-the-bbcs-iplayer-volume-control-...

> Any other unexpected places that this joke has popped up...?

Not sure this counts as unexpected, but a car stereo:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/automobiles/autoreviews/one-big-step-for-...

"There a lighthearted side, too: in a nod to the 1984 mockumentary “This Is Spinal Tap,” the audio system’s volume control goes to 11. (The idea came from Elon Musk, the chief executive.) Big-hair headbangers will not be dissatisfied with the rock-concert sound quality."

And finally, while I'm having a google-frenzy on my lunch break:

From "The Eleven Commandments", Tyrian: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/Tyrian

Monses walked upon Savara and said:
"Let there be a group of laws for people to follow, so that they might learn to be virtuous and live with honor."
And Zinglon said:
"Lo, let be it, for now when Tuesday then cometh with not again, be it another less more it be. Be faith giveth whence came me unto, yet not needeth for unto me, for yet be learn to be."
And Monses raised his hands aloft to take the holocubes, but lowered them again and said:
"Huh?"
And Zinglon spake:
"Look. Here's the stuff you asked for. Take it and leave me alone."
Monses took the holocubes from the sky but saw that there was an extra cube, a cube he had not expected. He interrupted again and spake to the heavens:
"What's the other cube for?"
And Zinglon spake:
"You know when the people have learned but the ten cubes just aren't enough? This is for that extra push when ten just isn't enough."
Monses scratched his head and replied:
"Surely you could make the other ten stronger?"
And Zinglon spake:
"But mine go up to eleven. Now go away."
And, Zinglon blew Monses and the holocubes off the mountain...
 Phil Anderson 25 Nov 2015
The imdb page for This is Spinal Tap lists the film's score out of 11 instead of 10...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Post edited at 14:18
 graeme jackson 25 Nov 2015

On a recently viewed BBC4 documentary on the marshall amp, Rick Parfitt told us that his amps had been relabeled to go to 11
 FactorXXX 25 Nov 2015

The cooker in the ex's house went up to 11.
Made it easier for her to burn stuff...

Shani 25 Nov 2015

11? Pah! James Pearson's "Walk of Life" in Devon, went to E12!
 Scarab9 25 Nov 2015

ha! I actually saw the joke on another kids program over the weekend and thought the same. Can't remember what it was now.

Gotta love Ben and Hollies' though, my favourite. Shame my girlfriend's two have gone off it.

Thanks for the links everyone, brightened up my evening!
 wercat 25 Nov 2015

isn't the joke given yet another dimension by presence of elf?
 felt 26 Nov 2015

> And how good is 'Ben and holly'...?

It's superb. Visiting the Marigolds is the best Marxist critique since Negative Dialectics, and the posh accents in it surpass anything that Adorno achieved. I have to say I laugh at both the Marigolds more than at Nanny Plum, although she does remind me of George, that timeless character Dawn French plays in the Famous Five Comic Strip films.

Having said that, Planet Bong parts 1 and 2 are hard-hitting, haunting and ultimately pessimistic eco-dramas that affect me perhaps even more.
 felt 26 Nov 2015

> Amazing the reach of this joke...

Other lines have a reach too: Marina Hyde likes to modulate the "What's wrong with being sexy?" line from time to time; I've seen the "None more black" thing echoed elsewhere, also "Too much f*cking perspective". I'm sure that "If you will" from Reiner's baseball cap intro has gained greater currency because of the film, too. There must be loads of other echoes, some great lines. "You're a saucy one", "There's a little guy, look", "Kick that ass", etc. In fact I'd better stop as there's nothing more irritating (none more irritating) than s'one spoiling a film by quoting it.

In reply to felt:

I don't recognise any of those!

I'm clearly not watching enough films...
 felt 26 Nov 2015

They're all Tap lines!
 felt 26 Nov 2015
In reply to malk:

> "You're a saucy one"

Nice. I've just had a look, and I've only gone and misquoted that line from "Saucy Jack".
 mike123 26 Nov 2015
In reply to malk: thanks for this , completly passed me by before now , just ordered it off eBay for less than 2 of your English pounds.

In reply to felt:

Aargh. It's a while since I watched it...
 Paul Robertson 04 Dec 2015

Volume Eleven (E3 5c)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...