UKC

Crib Goch, which way?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WaterMonkey 26 Nov 2015
I've done CG twice now. The first was as an attempt at the 15 peaks after we'd spent a miserable night bivvying in the rain on the summit of Snowdon. We went across CG from Snowdon and down the North side back to the road. (Very misty conditions) The second time was as part of the horsehoe which we did clockwise so again doing CG last and this time descending the usual scramble up and back to the PYG track. (Very windy but beautifully clear and exposed)

Both times we went over the pinnacles because basically it's cheating if you don't.

So my question(s) Which way is the normal way to go? I've read alot that people sayto walk on the left side but whenever i've done it it's been the right side. I've also read that if you ascend from the PYG track there's no way back down but clearly there is? Is the other way easier or about the same?
 jim jones 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Steve-J-E:

I've always done it anti clockwise, ever since I was a boy I've assumed this to be the correct way. Including a finish over the "last nail" to be the complete Horseshoe. In reverse (clockwise) from Crib Y Ddysgyl and down the N ridge is a way I've used to finish the day after a winter route or two in Cwm Glas or on Snowdon.

> I've also read that if you ascend from the PYG track there's no way back down but clearly there is? Is the other way easier or about the same?

Don't really understand this question, do you mean from the finger stone and back over Crib Y Ddysgyl and Crib Goch? If so either ridge of Crib Goch can be descended. Just depends where you want to end up.

Trangia 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Steve-J-E:

I've done it over 50 times in all weather conditions, always anti -clockwise apart from a dozen clockwise.

The reason for this is that the view is, in my opinion, vastly superior when doing it anti-clockwise, although if in cloud this becomes academic.

OP WaterMonkey 26 Nov 2015
In reply to jim jones:

> I've always done it anti clockwise, ever since I was a boy I've assumed this to be the correct way. Including a finish over the "last nail" to be the complete Horseshoe. In reverse (clockwise) from Crib Y Ddysgyl and down the N ridge is a way I've used to finish the day after a winter route or two in Cwm Glas or on Snowdon.

> Don't really understand this question, do you mean from the finger stone and back over Crib Y Ddysgyl and Crib Goch? If so either ridge of Crib Goch can be descended. Just depends where you want to end up.

Whenever I've read about ascending Snowdon via the PYG trail and then CG i've always read that it is a very committing scramble with no escape once on the ridge. Which is what got me thinking i'd been doing it the wrong way. However we did descend the usual scramble and got back to the PYG trail ok. So i guess the question is am i doing it the wrong way or is it just safer the other way?
 maxsmith 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Steve-J-E:

I've done it in both directions several times and enjoyed it both ways.. But the 'normal' (most popular) way to do CG is definitely the opposite direction to your two outings (anti-clockwise).

The majority of people start at pen-y-pass and go along CG westwards towards crib-y-dysgyl. That's why most guides say stay on the left-hand side (less sheer drop). Obviously you have come from the opposite direction so you walked on the right.
 jim jones 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Steve-J-E:
> Whenever I've read about ascending Snowdon via the PYG trail and then CG i've always read that it is a very committing scramble with no escape once on the ridge.

I expect what they mean is the only descent is via the usual ascent scramble. From a personal point of view it's much better as an anti clockwise direction as the best of the route can be enjoyed whilst still fresh. The other problem with the "wrong" way is the sheer number of people who will expect you to give way. Whichever way it's still one of the best scramble/walks in the UK.
Post edited at 14:54
 John Gresty 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Steve-J-E:

Out and back from the power station, follow the skyline all the way, none of this starting from half way at Pen y Pass. A lot better circuit.
John
 OwenM 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Steve-J-E:

>
> So my question(s) Which way is the normal way to go? I've read alot that people sayto walk on the left side but whenever i've done it it's been the right side.

Don't walk on either side, just run along the top much easier.

Brass Nipples 26 Nov 2015
In reply to maxsmith:

> I've done it in both directions several times and enjoyed it both ways.. But the 'normal' (most popular) way to do CG is definitely the opposite direction to your two outings (anti-clockwise).

> The majority of people start at pen-y-pass and go along CG westwards towards crib-y-dysgyl. That's why most guides say stay on the left-hand side (less sheer drop). Obviously you have come from the opposite direction so you walked on the right.

Suggest you look up the definition of anti clockwise
In reply to Orgsm

He meant the horseshoe anti-clockwise not just CG traverse!
 Brass Nipples 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Steve-J-E:

> In reply to Orgsm

> He meant the horseshoe anti-clockwise not just CG traverse!

Which means ascending CG surely?
In reply to Orgsm:

Yes which is apparently the usual way. I've only done it the other way and I find it strange when people say that ascending to the ridge from pen y pass offers no retreat. To be fair it was a hairyish descent but nothing too bad.
 John Gresty 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Steve-J-E:

If you are used to doing walk just in one direction, try going the other way. It can be almost like a new walk. The views are different, various nooks and crannies that are hidden reveal themselves.

John
 maxsmith 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

I wrote anticlockwise in reference to the 'normal' way to do CG, not his 'two outings', although a re-read shows the sentence was a bit ambiguous.

It's great to have the keyboard police proofreading my posts - I would hate to make a grammar or context error...
 Simon Caldwell 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Steve-J-E:

> I've only done it the other way and I find it strange when people say that ascending to the ridge from pen y pass offers no retreat. To be fair it was a hairyish descent but nothing too bad.

They just mean that there is no retreat other than retracing your footsteps, ie there isn't an easy escape route off to the side.
In reply to John Gresty:

none of this starting from half way at Pen y Pass.

or a bivi on the summit

My pref. as the OP is talking about the 15 peaks start at the Abber it brakes you in and your left with CG. N ridge to ascend then ridge, you have the distraction of view as well as having to look were your going AKA save the best till last
In reply to Steve-J-E:
I find it strange when people say that ascending to the ridge from pen y pass offers no retreat.

I did not know they did ! would you agree that if that's what they think [ no way back] that they are in the wrong place?

Edit,
Simon Caldwell, comment may be correct, I had not red that
Post edited at 11:30
 John Gresty 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Steve-J-E

Welsh three thousands; if a one way trip, starting from Aber and with the highlight of finishing on Snowden via the CG ridge has always seemed to me to be the best route. At least that's the way I did it.

However for the basic ascent/descent of Snowden via the CG ridge there are plenty of options.

John

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...