UKC

Suunto Watches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MrJared 26 Nov 2015
Hi all,

Looking at getting a Suunto altimeter watch. Either the Traverse or the Core. Anyone got either of these and can spread some light on the pros and cons of each!

Thanks!
 0153453 26 Nov 2015
In reply to MrJared:

I have a core that I received as a present. It was very interesting, but didn't feel much use, in the Dolomites using the altimeter. It was almost correct at every peak or top of a pass. Haven't used it since, and looking at it, I'm currently in blackpool and must be drowning at -30 metres, it's been that long since I've bothered setting a reference altitude. The compass although I feel not exactly 100% all the time very handy for a quick reference when you know your going north for example. Also good for knowing which ways north/south around towns if unfamiliar while driving. The time and date are faultess, as you would hope, and im surprised by the battery life, i didnt expect much but havn't changed it yet. I personally think it's a very good watch, but there are obviously better, but you will pay more. It's also more useful than a lot of these fancy, expensive watches that just tell the time. I've also had more than 1 nice watch comment!

Matt
Removed User 26 Nov 2015
In reply to MrJared:

I use a Suunto Core and have for a couple years. Replaced the battery twice, strap once. The straps are only produced by Suunto and so you pay ~35 for the pleasure of replacing. Bezel is scratched to shit and there's a few small scratches on the supposedly scratchless face (which is inset so it's somewhat protected by the bezel unless you hit it dead on). Good watch, does the job well. The built in light is awful and the altimeter has issues. Barometer is quite handy. Temp meter useless as the sensor is under the watch so only picks up body heat. Compass works fine.
 Dark-Cloud 26 Nov 2015
In reply to MrJared:

I have the older Vector, I use it for mountain marathons and hill days, it just works.

I also have a Tissot T-Touch expert which is worth considering unless you are dead set on Suunto

http://www.tissotwatches.com/products/tissot-t-touch-expert/T0134204420200....
 Robert Durran 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I have the older Vector, I use it for mountain marathons and hill days, it just works.

I've had three Vectors. I lost one and one developed a fault, which, although apparently a simple electrical contact problem, couldn't be repaired by Suunto for much less than I could get a new watch for.

Useful for navigation (I don't use GPS on principal) and just for interest in the UK. In remote places with poor maps and no weather forecast, it is great for altitude and pressure changes.
OP MrJared 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

It does look good but a little out of my price range!
 ChrisNaylor 26 Nov 2015
In reply to MrJared:

I've got the suunto core (also owned the ambit2) which I wear daily, the altimeter is accurate if you remember to set a reference altitude, I'm currently sat at home in Cheshire at ~100ft amsl however the watch is showing 217ft. However I was working on Great Gable 2 weeks ago filming some routes and after setting the reference altitude it was pretty accurate to the summit.

The temperature on the other hand is only accurate when you take the watch off and in direct sunlight it rises very quickly, Portugal earlier this year it was showing 38c at times when the air temp was closer to 25c, however again two weeks ago I hung it up in my tent and in the morning it was showing 2c which was the same as shown on my truck and 1c cooler than the met check forecast.

I'm currently waiting for delivery of the traverse which I am trailing for suunto and will be reviewing, I must say it looks pretty good and seems to be the best parts of the core with some nice extras thrown in!

What I would say is it depends on what you want the watch for, I've had my core for over 12 months and haven't changed the strap or battery, my ambit2 which I use for tracking outdoor swims and runs has to be charged all the time and the battery doesn't seem to last 2 minutes!
 Dazzle 26 Nov 2015
In reply to MrJared:

I have a core, have been unimpressed with from the start, wildly inaccurate, spoke to Suunto when first bought it about as useful as speaking to a pile of s**t

ChrisNaylor 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Dazzle:

Is it the altitude you find inaccurate? When I ordered mine i thought it was terrible but after being shown how to set it up by a bloke in the George in Keswick it's worked great!
 Dazzle 26 Nov 2015
In reply to ChrisNaylor:

Set altimeter on one summit, next summit 10/15m out. Going uphill to scafell watch thinks i'm going downhill, wales the opposite, going down watch says i'm gaining height.

A waste of money really, won't ever buy anything from suunto again.
 ChrisNaylor 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Dazzle:

That's pretty terrible, would suunto not honour their warranty?

I have seen the compass on mine 90degrees out a few times and even when set it isn't all that accurate but does give a general sense of direction (I use the term general loosely) however I've not had many problems with the altitmeter.

I have always used the air pressure rather to set altitude rather than setting by feet not sure if that would make a difference like, when I bought mine I was told that weather changes can affect the altimeter
 Damo 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Dazzle:

Not a fan of the Core, now gone back to a Vector.

I had a Vector for nine years, it finally died in the monsoon rains of Kathmandu. So I got a Core - not the first issue, as they had bad battery problems - and it was OK, though I never liked the navigation. After 18months or so a blank line appeared across the screen - this is not uncommon, Google it - and some functions were just unresponsive. I'd bought it cheap online somewhere and the Suunto repairer here in Australia wanted a ridiculous repair fee, which was basically getting a new one from Suunto in the US at full retail. So I went back to a Vector and prefer it. It's more reliable and I never liked the shiny metal of the Core that much in the end. I find the Vector's buttons easier to use with gloves than the Core's too.
OP MrJared 27 Nov 2015
In reply to ChrisNaylor:

Hi,

Thanks for your answer! Could you let me know how you get on with the Traverse when you get it?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Nov 2015
In reply to MrJared:

I have had a Vector for about 15 years - if/when it eventually dies I will get another - great bit of kit!

Chris
 Bootrock 27 Nov 2015
In reply to MrJared:

Had the Suunto core since late 2012, had it from the Valleys in Wales, to the Highlands in Scotland to Norway and it came in very handy in the Jungles of West Africa. Compass is alright, mainly for just a rough guide of direction, The thermometer is very affected by your wrist, so take it off and hook it onto your ski pole/rucksack for a more accurate reading.

Some people say the Bezel breaks loose, Had no trouble as of yet (touch wood) and have replaced the Battery twice and the strap once, not too happy that the Strap costs so damn much! But I cant really fault the watch.

A good mate of mine had the Vector at the same time and i was impressed by that aswell, seems to be a bit of a classic.

Would definatly reccomend, although I havent used to Traverse to compare it to. only major gripe is the cost, I bought it for a bit cheaper than it is now, but then everything seems to be getting so bloody expensive these days.
 ChrisNaylor 27 Nov 2015
In reply to MrJared:

Yeah no problem, I'll bookmark this page and post back when i receive it, i'll link to my blog posts as well.

Going to do a spot of wild camping to break it in and see how good the GPS is., if it had been earlier in the year I'd of liked to have a go swimming with it to compare it to the ambit.
 Bluebird 27 Nov 2015
In reply to MrJared:
Got both, Traverse looking good so far..
 ChrisNaylor 02 Dec 2015
In reply to MrJared:

So the traverse turned up today and my first thoughts are nothing but positive, if your looking for a do it all watch that appears to have accurate altitude then go check out the traverse, you can read more about my initial impressions here:

http://chris-naylor.com/blog/

I'll be keeping this updated over the next week or two and I'm going to try and test it in a number of different conditions.. I took it to the climbing wall today and it appeared to work great with the climbing mode that i could add from the MovesCount app.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!
OP MrJared 02 Dec 2015
In reply to ChrisNaylor:
Thanks for this! Sounds like your having fun with it!

A Christmas present to myself it is then!

Edit: Nice blog btw!
Post edited at 09:27
 ChrisNaylor 02 Dec 2015
In reply to MrJared:

I'd recommend it for sure! I'm going to the climbing wall in the next few hours to try out the climbing mode with movescount in a bit more depth so I'll pop a post on probably tonight that you can have a read through if your interested.

Thanks a lot!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...