UKC

Any advice/first hand knowledge of the alta via 1 and 2 treks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sam_owen41 26 Nov 2015
Hey all,
A friend of mine is looking into the alta via 1 and 2 treks in the Italian dolomites and would like some more first hand knowledge of both before committing to one. He's after any recommendations, difference and first hand preferences between the two. I've no knowledge about the routes, but I'm sure there's some on here who can help out.
Cheers
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 26 Nov 2015
In reply to sam_owen41:

They are both excellent. Alta Via one is overall slightly easier and less remote and hence slightly busier. Alta via two takes in a few more via ferrata and the terrain is arguably slightly more remote and rugged. They both run parallel to each other and run north / south through most of the major sites of the Dolomites.

Not going to recommend one as everyone has different opinions. I can certainly recommend them as superb ski tours if you have enough winter experience.

I hope that helps a little.
 Nutkey 26 Nov 2015
In reply to sam_owen41:

We did Alta Via 2 back in 2003. There was not that much via ferrata, and nothing that really warranted getting harnesses on, except for one move depending on your nervousness. We loved the Sella Ronda, and would highly recommend going to up Piz Boe (as I recall, it's not on the route, but we ended up there because the lower rifugio was full). 4th section wasn't as good. We didn't do the Marmolada. Took a day out at one point to do a couple of via ferrata.

Overall, it was brilliant, and I would recommend it to anyone....

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 26 Nov 2015
In reply to Nutkey:

As Nutkey says it is definitely worth planning a few alterations / diversions on route. I'd recommend anyone to go past the Marmolada South Face at least once (it's one of Europe's premier big walls), it's hugely impressive. Adding in a few extra via ferrata to stay up high is well worth it - don't feel you've got to follow the route exactly.

If you've not seen the Tre Cime I think it's worth starting further east (near Dobbiaco) and adding that in at the start - particularly early in the season when it's less busy.

You can't really go wrong with either.
 uphillnow 27 Nov 2015
In reply to sam_owen41:

Did AV2 a while back (2000?) Great outing in early september when the weather can be more settled. Days can be quite short or extended quite easily in the first half. There is a section later on where wet conditions require a little care. Think I still have a lot of the maps.
Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...