UKC

Mountaineering in the Grenoble Area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cathalb55 26 Nov 2015

Myself and a few friend are going over to visit another friend who's recently moved to Grenoble and I'm wondering does anyone have any experience with the area when it comes to any sort of alpine style climbing or could someone point me in the right direction of the best way to get information on the area?

We'd be looking really to do some lower level alpine climbing, nothing at too high an altitude and not overly difficult. We've all climbed in Scotland but this would be the first time climbing in the alps for all except one of us. How's the area in terms of accessibility (since we'll most likely be based in Grenoble itself) and would rather not get a car if that would be anyway possible.

Also, any pointers on what conditions could be like in general? We're planning to go over in early January as that's when suits us to visit so I'm wondering if it would not be overly brutal since it's not the highest area of the alps?

I'm saying that routes of PD/AD level would be suitable for the overall group.

Any comments or tips on what would the best way to run a trip would be most appreciated.
Post edited at 19:12
 Simon4 26 Nov 2015
In reply to cathalb55:

Unfortunately the area is NOT more gentle for Winter alpinism than the higher alps to the North, it can be very harsh at that time of year.

You will struggle greatly without a car - to the point where it is virtually unrealistic. In January, any car you may hire will require snow tires and chains. Often with the chains at least, it is cheaper to buy them at supermarkets than hire them from car hire companies for any period. Make sure you practice putting them on in relatively protected circumstances, i.e. don't make your first test of getting them on a live test!

Alpine climbing in the area, mostly in the Ecrins massif, in January is VERY serious! Particularly if you cannot ski-tour. Days will be short and at any sort of height (e.g. above 1000m), the cold may be brutal.

On the other hand, you could go snowshoeing in the Chartreuse, just outside the city, quite a lot of wooded paths to go along, mostly pretty safe from avalanches, but can be very confusing to navigate in. Some of them, like Cham Chaude or Charmont Somme are more straightforward to navigate in, also rather more open.

There is some Alpine like climbing in the Belledonne massif, but that is also more normally done rather later, toward April.

Most often, people will go there at that time for roadside ice-climbing. There is a little of this in the Chartreuse (if you pm me, I can tell you how to find it, but it is pretty flaky), more often it will be in the area of Bourg D'Oisan or further East. These are 1 - 1.5 hours drive out of Grenoble itself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...