UKC

Col du Lauteret closure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Ww 26 Nov 2015
Evening all. Could anybody tell me where EXACTLY the road is closed on both the Grenoble and the Briancon sides of the pass.
Much appreciated, JW
 Dark-Cloud 27 Nov 2015
In reply to John Ww:

On the Grenoble side you can get to Duex Alpes so closed right at the dam, not sure on Briancon side but would assume top of the lake.

BUT I did see they have opened a temporary road on the south side for light vehicles so it looks like it may be passable again now, not sure if that's just local traffic though.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 27 Nov 2015
In reply to John Ww:

According to the signs on the Briançon side the road is closed just beyond La Grave,

Chris
In reply to John Ww:

hi all

I live near Briancon and we have been getting some news on this,

the plan was to build a new but temporary road along the other side of the dam, to where the tunnel issues is now this will be single file in some places, and could be a pain on the busy change over days, the plan was to have this complete any day now (before the start of DEC) and the winter season (la Grave really needs this)

the second bit is they are digging the old tunnels further in to the mountain to make them more secure, this is to be completed by 2017,

I am not sure if the new road is open yet, I keep looking as I need to go to Grenoble soon but as Chris says all the signs here are saying it is still closed??? i think the road will be complete in Dec for the winter season but don't know the exact date, you can keep an eye on the 05 travel website or drop me an email rob@dream-trails.com and if i have any more info i can pass that on

all the best Rob
OP John Ww 27 Nov 2015
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Thanks very much for all the replies folks, much appreciated.
Please keep the updates coming, as we're still trying to work out whether La Grave / Deux Alpes / Vallouise would be feasible or a massive pita in February.

Thanks again, JW
In reply to John Ww:

Hi all the new road is now open, linking Grenoble to la grave and briancon, I have heard rumers that it's been open for a few weeks? A few of my friend used it last week.

How ever all the road signs and the website state it is still closed, not sure why this is, or if it means they may be shutting it on and off, which does make it a pain as to know when driving up.

If you don't won't to risk it, I understand that the tunnel is still offering a cheaper deal if you book on line.

Cheers Rob
 yorkshireman 14 Dec 2015
In reply to ecrinscollective:

> How ever all the road signs and the website state it is still closed, not sure why this is, or if it means they may be shutting it on and off, which does make it a pain as to know when driving up.

I drove home from Lyon airport on Thursday night and all the electronic gantries still said 'route coupée, suivre Gap'. Not a problem for me as I take that route anyway.

They've been saying this for so long maybe the message is burnt into the electronics like would happen with the old plasma TVs

Bogwalloper 14 Dec 2015
In reply to John Ww:
More info here, looks good and surprisingly better than I was expected Might get on the ice at la Grave after all:
https://www.isere.fr/deplacements/tunnel-chambon-actualites/la-route-de-sec...

Knowing what the French are like I'd be surprised if they advertised the road being opened on Autoroute signs 200km to the north. They'll want to keep this road as quiet as possible despite the problems local businesses aare going through.

Wally

Edit, PDF: https://www.isere.fr/Deplacements/tunnel-chambon-actualites/Documents/Route...
Post edited at 17:41
OP John Ww 15 Dec 2015
In reply to John Ww:

Thanks everyone, keep it coming!

JW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...