UKC

Lightweight 70 litre sack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Alcock 26 Nov 2015
My Crux 70 is finally falling apart after years of extreme abuse. I am struggling to find a replacement.
It must be big enough to carry winter climbing, bivy and sk-mountaineering kit, tough and VERY light.
No where in Bristol seems to have anything technical bigger than 50 litres (e.g the Lowe Alpine Attack).
Has anyone got any suggestions please?

TobyA 26 Nov 2015
In reply to John Alcock:

Berghaus still do their big, light expedition style pack. A mate got one of the versions about 5 years back and rated it highly, but I don't know if the current one has changed much. They always used to be the "cyclops II" back system - which I had on my big Berghaus pack bought in 1990! Non-adjustable so light and strong, but comfy even with stupid weights on expeditions. They don't seem to call it that anymore but it looks similar at least. Otherwise people seem to end up ordering stuff from American firms that you can't easily get in the UK.
 Dell 26 Nov 2015
In reply to John Alcock:

The words tough and light don't really fit well together, especially 70 litres. If carrying loads of weighty gear I'd prefer a heavier option so you know it's not all gonna drop out the bottom.
Ok that sounded a bit wrong...
 Robert Durran 26 Nov 2015
In reply to John Alcock:

Pod Black Ice?
 Dell 26 Nov 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I was gonna suggest a second hand Cyclops, they hold more weight than you can carry over further distances than you can walk. Utterly bomber.
 Jack Finney 26 Nov 2015
In reply to John Alcock:

I have a AK70 for sale if you take a size 3? It's brand new. PM me if it's of any interest.
 Brownie 26 Nov 2015
In reply to John Alcock:

xPod on sale just now £70 bargain https://www.podsacs.com/i/q/CCPX/x-pod-back-pack
 Neil Pratt 27 Nov 2015
In reply to John Alcock:

Have a look at the Millet pro lighter MSP 60+20
 HeMa 27 Nov 2015
In reply to John Alcock:

70 liters, robust and light...

Hyperlight something 4400...

Eg.
http://www.outdoorline.sk/en/backpacks/371-hyperlite-mountain-gear-4400-por...

Spendy though, but light-cheap-robust is the holy trifecta, that simply isn't possible to achieve...
OP John Alcock 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Jack Finney:

Hi Jack, thanks for the offer, but I have a size 2 back, cheers,

John
 Mouflon 28 Nov 2015
In reply to John Alcock:

My lad's been travelling round the world for the last 7 months with a Montane Grand Tour 70.

He's been very pleased with it and it's still in good condition after being slung around on various planes, boats, buses etc.

Light for a pack of that size.
 Lucy Wallace 28 Nov 2015
In reply to John Alcock:

I had a play with a Mountain Hardwear South Col 70 once and quite liked it. Its fairly light, and being made of OutDry, is also quite tough (and waterproof). Worth a look if you can find one esp if reduced.
OP John Alcock 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Brownie:

By time time I'd got home it was gone, but thanks for the tip- maybe someone else spotted your post!
 Jon Wickham 30 Nov 2015
In reply to John Alcock:

Lowe Alpine Metanoia 65-80 should be right up your street: http://lowealpine.com/uk/shop/mens/climbing/metanoia-65-80-1
OP John Alcock 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Jon Wickham:

Yes thanks, I've gone for a Metanoia in the end. Got a really good deal via GoOutdoors promise to match any online price I could find and then take off anther 10 per cent. Thanks for all the advice everyone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...