UKC

Most Miserable Month of the Year

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 27 Nov 2015
I vote November. Short days have started, miserable weather almost guaranteed, long winter ahead, colds and flu doing the rounds. I hate November, and I hate that it ruins my birthday every year.

What's your worse month of the year?
 Timmd 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Can I be annoyingly upbeat and say I don't have one?

I tend to find myself hoping for snow and clear skies for the months ahead in November.
Post edited at 12:55
cb294 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Hey, don´t slag off November. The month is great, must be as it is my birthday today! November is first frost, you see the leaves turn fully red and a brisk wind blowing through the trees, maybe even a little snow (not this year, thanks to climate change...).

March can be a bit shit, winter gone but spring not yet there, worst of both worlds!

CB
 Timmd 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I'm not so keen on January, it can feel a bit flat after celebrating the New Year and the getting together with people during Christmas.
 girlymonkey 27 Nov 2015
In reply to cb294:

We have had snow I have had my first crampon day on the hill.

Not a bad month
 skog 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Usually November, yeah, though It Depends On The Weather.

November's -usually- mostly just a bit miserable, with little in the way of decent Autumn or Winter weather, but the odd time it surprises with some proper snow or a warm sunny spell.

December's a close runner for the position, for the same reasons, though there's more chance of getting decent Winter days on the hills.

Both of these months can quite often bring a beautiful temperature inversion, with gorgeous sunny Winter weather on the snow-covered hills, above the clouds, though.

When it comes to it, any month can be great or awful, or more likely a mix of these. But November and December are the most likely to be bland and miserable, I think.
 SenzuBean 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I vote November. Short days have started, miserable weather almost guaranteed, long winter ahead, colds and flu doing the rounds. I hate November, and I hate that it ruins my birthday every year.

> What's your worse month of the year?

November takes the cake this year. Sprained my ankle a week ago, and was forced to cancel my attendance to the club's annual dinner and missed out on some great weather, and cancelled a training session with a climbing coach (both a fair amount of money down the drain). Was going to try and get a QMD in Dartmoor this weekend or potentially get a few climbs in - instead I think I'll be getting a CBD (chocolate & bed day).

Anyway I sent money for refugees to get socks, and that made me feel better: http://www.socksforrefugees.com/
- buy them some socks for winter!
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Well, it's my birthday too, and I love it for its own special qualities. Went for a superb walk on Sunday, which was really November at its best (a whole list of qualities). Basically, I love all the seasons - each has its good and bad points.
 The New NickB 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

My November was going fine until yesterday. I got a parking ticket, had to work late and whilst I was working late my house was burgled. Parking ticket didn't seem so bad all things considered.
 Brass Nipples 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> I'm not so keen on January, it can feel a bit flat after celebrating the New Year and the getting together with people during Christmas.

Nah, the light has started to return, and there are some cracking crisp mornings to be enjoyed
 felt 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Basically, I love all the seasons - each has its good and bad points.

Can't say my table's groaning under spring's bad points.
 RyanOsborne 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Get into bird watching, November's awesome!
 ianstevens 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Got to agree with November, especially this one. December is saved by everyone having the thick end of a week off, although the weather is arguably worse. Jan/Feb are saved by winter conditions. Needles to say March - September are all good as the weather is generally nice, and it's light after and before work. October can be pants, bu my birthday and the "excitement" of the start of the academic year pull it through if the weather is bad.

Whislt March can be the November of the spring, it's far more hopeful - days grow longer rather than shorter for example.

Edited to correct the irony of spelling "academic" incorrectly.
Post edited at 14:47
cb294 27 Nov 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:

I always felt that October was better for migrants, especially waders having gone through by November, while the winter waterfowl flocks haven´t arrived yet.

On the other hand, I have just seen my first pink footed and red breasted geese of the year, so not all is bad!

CB
 Timmd 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

> Nah, the light has started to return, and there are some cracking crisp mornings to be enjoyed

If we get crisp mornings there are. I'm of the same mind of Gordon pretty much, though, in enjoying all the seasons.

I have a small holiday planned for next January, to have seeing a friend abroad as something cheery to do.
 RyanOsborne 27 Nov 2015
In reply to cb294:

Nice, saw a few pink foots a couple of weeks back at Martin Mere. The excitement of the waxwing arrival is keeping some suspense going through November. October is definitely good too, all the squirrel activity is entertaining, burying nuts like maniacs... Starling murmerations are at their best... And we even had a short eared owl over in Chorlton a couple of weeks back before the fireworks scared it off.

I think the beauty of this time of year is how dynamic it is, everything's so changeable. For example, the autumn colours were absolutely stunning this year as we had such a settled start to the autumn, and no wind blowing all the leaves off (sadly mostly gone in NW England now though).

Spring obviously wins battle of the seasons though.
In reply to The New NickB:

Fck! that is a bad day. Hopefully not too much upheaval from the burglary and nothing sentimental that can't be replaced was taken.
 Timmd 27 Nov 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:

I think that's why I like the spring, due to how changeable the weather can be, I can go for a cycle in the Peak and have what feels like four seasons of weather in one day, it can go from bright sun to rain to hail and back to sunshine again, and the surrounding landscape feels dynamic as it changes in shade and colour.
 The New NickB 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Usual sort of stuff, TV, laptops, camera and lenses, did a fair bit of damage getting in. All insured. Rifled through all the draws in the bedroom, missed some valuable items, but got some rings that were my girlfriends grandmothers, probably just worth scrap gold value, but obviously much more to her.

whenry 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

No, it's definitely February. November's ok, because I'm normally in Kalymnos for the first week or two, the leaves are still changing colours, and there's plenty of hope that there are going to be some good crisp days for grit climbing. In February, I'm absolutely fed up with winter, the weather's still rubbish, and despite deluding myself that March means the arrival of permanent sun and 18 degrees, it never happens.
OP Yanis Nayu 27 Nov 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

That's shit mate. I'm facing a £2500 bill for an engine rebuild on a car I've just bought privately.

I think crappy weather puts me in a bad mood in general, and November has loads of it.
In reply to cb294:

Happy birthday!
 Jenny C 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Second vote for February.

November can give some wonderful crisp autumn days, plus there is Christmas and winter to look forward to.

By Feb I am in full SAD mode and really struggling with lack of sunlight/daylight hours, this leaves my immune system vulnerable to coughs, colds etc. Christmas is a dim and distant memory and it still feels like ages till spring. Plus it's a usually damp/wet miserable weather, so getting outside to combat the SAD or blow away the winter cold isn't appealing.
In reply to Timmd:

> I'm not so keen on January, it can feel a bit flat after celebrating the New Year and the getting together with people during Christmas.

If my arm was twisted I'd have to say January is the worst because, if you're freelance, that's when you have to get your accounts together.
 Hooo 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

For me it's all downhill from when the clocks go back until the start of January. Then it might actually get dry and cold rather than miserable and wet, and there's hope that the days are getting longer and things are getting better. So December is the lowest point as far as I'm concerned. I am miserable for the whole month, and it's made harder by the effort of pretending to be enjoying Xmas.
 Timmd 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Jenny C:
> Second vote for February.

> By Feb I am in full SAD mode and really struggling with lack of sunlight/daylight hours, this leaves my immune system vulnerable to coughs, colds etc. Christmas is a dim and distant memory and it still feels like ages till spring.

> Plus it's a usually damp/wet miserable weather, so getting outside to combat the SAD or blow away the winter cold isn't appealing.

With the warm and wet winter weather we can sometimes have, I find it's not cold enough to be bracing and too cloudy to be cheery.

I find planting flowers like pansies and things in pots can help, though, so one can look outside on them being rained on and think that it's good for them at least, and I find them cheery.

Having hearty winter food and just going outside anyway to look upwards seems to be the way through when it's grey and wet a lot...
Post edited at 17:37
In reply to Hooo:

I have a problem with pre-arranged fun. I normally have to pretend to enjoy it; more so than actually enjoying it, at least at the start.
 Timmd 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Hooo:

> For me it's all downhill from when the clocks go back until the start of January. Then it might actually get dry and cold rather than miserable and wet, and there's hope that the days are getting longer and things are getting better. So December is the lowest point as far as I'm concerned. I am miserable for the whole month, and it's made harder by the effort of pretending to be enjoying Xmas.

My Dad once commented that Boxing Day is nicer with being more chilled.
 BnB 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I flipping love November, January, February, March and even December apart from bloody Christmas. Mixed climbing, ice climbing, snowboarding, skiing, winter walking, gritstone slabs. It's a struggle to fit in all the fun that can be had. How can you lot be so miserable when there are so many opportunities for wintry pursuits? The landscape shows its wild side instead of that dull, green blur of "summer". What's not to like?

August on the other hand. So much expectation with the attendant disillusionment wrought by rain, rain and more rain.

Edit: Forgot February. How could I have?
Post edited at 19:58
 Hooo 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I have a problem with pre-arranged fun.

Exactly. Lots of it about at this time of year. It's such a relief in January when it's all over.

I see some miserable fecker has given me a dislike. Go on, put the boot in why don't you.
In reply to BnB:

> I'm going to go against the grain and say that I flipping love November, January, February, March and even December apart from bloody Christmas. Mixed climbing, ice climbing, snowboarding, skiing, winter walking, gritstone slabs. It's a struggle to fit in all the fun that can be had. How can you lot be so miserable when there are so many opportunities for wintry pursuits? The landscape shows its wild side instead of that dull, green blur of "summer". What's not to like?

> August on the other hand. So much expectation with the attendant disillusionment wrought by rain, rain and more rain.

> Edit: Forgot February. How could I have?

I ain't seeing much snow.
 colinakmc 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu: another defence of November. Often there's a week of good weather at the beginning of November - cold, crisp, clear, and maybe a smirr of snow on the tops. I can recall stepping out of the cloud on Carn Mor Dearg, over a fabulous inversion inNovember. Or coming off the Ben in the gloaming ( another year)
I vote September the least favourite. Wet, beginning to get cold & windy, stalking season, too much bracken. Yeuch.

Timmd 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Hooo:

> Exactly. Lots of it about at this time of year. It's such a relief in January when it's all over.

> I see some miserable fecker has given me a dislike. Go on, put the boot in why don't you.

They seem to have disliked the most inoffensive of posts on this thread.
In reply to Timmd:
I concur with this view - I have had great experiences in every month of the year.
However I have noticed patterns in terms of change happening at similar times of year. For a long time it was September/October - not surprising when I was linked to academic calendars but then I had a series of years when change happened in February - I almost became apprehensive as the month came round. Recent years have had no discernable pattern I can identify.
In reply to Timmd:

It's hard to see any post about least favourite months being offensive.
 Timmd 27 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Exactly.
 Trevers 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I went for a walk in the (very light) snow last Sunday, and cycled into work in a t shirt this morning. It could be worse
Wiley Coyote2 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I cannot improve on this horribly true analysis

November - Poem by Thomas Hood

No sun - no moon!
No morn - no noon -
No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day.
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member -
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds! -
November!
 petenebo 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
This'll cheer you up:

youtube.com/watch?v=JeAP1KyPDzM&
OP Yanis Nayu 28 Nov 2015
In reply to petenebo:

Ha!
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

At least I'm not alone.
 Queenie 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Can't agree with any of the content of that miserable poem, having experienced all of those things this November.
In reply to Queenie:

Yes, that poem's utter bollocks. A beautiful waning moon earlier this am., and now the sun. Lovely dawn, autumn leaves, and some birds sitting in the tree opposite (not sure what they are).
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
> I vote November. Short days have started, miserable weather almost guaranteed, long winter ahead, colds and flu doing the rounds. I hate November, and I hate that it ruins my birthday every year.

I agree - I used to hate November when I was teaching - nothing to look forward to apart from Easter at the far end of the long, dark, miserable tunnel of winter.

Now I am retired I love November as I am always somewhere sunny and warm

Chris

Having said that it is pi55ing it down in Kalymnos today
Post edited at 08:49
In reply to Chris Craggs:

It's quite nice here...
 Timmd 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

There was the hint of sun over Sheffield this morning.
In reply to Timmd:

Yes they reckon that January is most people's most miserable month. All the festivities are over, the Christmas credit card bills arrive, there's still another two or three months of Winter to come and summer holidays seem such a long way off.

I try to enjoy each and every month for its unique qualities but if there's any time that gets me down it's usually the end of February by which time we've endured cold wet weather and short days for months. It begins to get depressing and even though Spring is just round the corner by that time it doesn't feel like it.
cb294 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Thanks!

CB
 Jon Stewart 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

It's a tough call between November, December, January and February.

Maybe February because it's already been so miserable for so long. Or November because it's all still to come. Or possibly January because everything is so utterly dead, and both the memories of life and the hope of life are so distant.

But no, it's probably December. It has all of the above, plus Christmas.
 lowersharpnose 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

December because it has Christmas in it.
 Trangia 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

June.

If you are a hay fever sufferer you'll understand why
 Flinticus 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
This year it's November but normally I would say January.

I've had one day on the hills (and it was great) but that's a poor return for a month. It has rained and heavily nearly every day. Had a cold twice and they usually pass me by.
In reply to Flinticus:
> This year it's November

> I've had one day on the hills. It has rained and heavily nearly every day.

Yes same here I haven't done anything for eight weeks now largely due to the weather and that's the longest I've gone without getting out in years. In mountaineering/climbing terms November is often the worst month because the weather generally dictates that it becomes a limbo period between the summer and winter seasons. Too wet for climbing or scrambling but no snow or ice for the winter stuff.
Post edited at 17:16
 Philip 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

In my old job is have voted July. Too hot, no holiday. New job is flexible holidays. So July and August, too hot.
 Timmd 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:
I think taking 'the mountain biking approach' could be the way forward when it's grey and wet all the time, in just getting outside anyway. The magazines are always saying to just go outside if it's wet.

I felt better today after a walk about in the wind and rain, had some daylight at least.
Post edited at 19:11
 veteye 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
I've said for a long time that November was the worst month due to the rain and clag, fog and drizzle, but little crisp cold stuff.
The end of January is not brilliant as I feel that I have to work more in order to pay the Inland Revenue bill, so cannot go out as much without feeling guilty. Then February is trouble as the coffers have gone down when paying the IR and it is a short month and by the end the VAT has to be paid.
In some ways December is better as I quite like going off for a few days to Scotland on my own or possibly with a friend to do some Munro bashing in more awkward conditions.(Not uncommonly getting to the top in the dark etc as due to travelling I don't get chance to set off until late)
Possibly December this year will be worse as it becomes the new November as the latter has been so mild compared to normal.
Post edited at 19:15
 Big Ger 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

February is neither here nor there.
 mp3ferret 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

December - by a country mile.

Contains christmas, my birthday and news years eve and I hate enforced fun.

Marc
OP Yanis Nayu 30 Nov 2015
In reply to mp3ferret:

> December - by a country mile.

> Contains christmas, my birthday and news years eve and I hate enforced fun.

> Marc

Glad it's not just me.
 Timmd 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
I'm glad I don't have a TV when Christmas comes around, mainly from never getting round to getting one yet, the cheery adverts and the Christmas songs which get played loudly in shops drive me nuts.

I used to make the guy giving me a lift back from my chainsaw course laugh by always diving for the radio buttons to switch to another station if a Christmas song came on.

Reflective Christmas songs might be nice, rather than 'woo yay hee' ones.
Post edited at 19:42
 Jimbo C 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I'm going to have to go with November too. Dark nights, crap weather and not usually cold enough for decent snow. At least December contains 9 or 10 days in which the nights are getting shorter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...