UKC

Rjukan any good in January?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 edunn 27 Nov 2015
Have got a week off first thing in the new year, just wondering if Rjukan would be a good shout?

I'm not looking for best conditions since records began, but I've never been before and would be relying on a guide book, so I guess my barometer would be - will the climbs resemble anything in the book (and will they be climbable)!?

Alternatives welcome if it's totally out.

Cheers.
 galpinos 28 Nov 2015
In reply to edunn:

Been twice at new year. First time, lots of stuff was in, second time it was very lean and ended up on the bolted mixed or making the long hike up the hill to the only crag in nick.
 Sharp 28 Nov 2015
In reply to Avinash Aujayeb:

awesome pics
OP edunn 29 Nov 2015
In reply to edunn:

Great, thanks both.

Any tips on where to stay (cheap bunkhouse/ guesthouse options)?
 annak 29 Nov 2015
In reply to edunn:

Try the Old School Hostel: https://www.facebook.com/rjukanoldschoolhostel/
Cheap (for Norway) and very friendly.
 Dave Williams 29 Nov 2015
In reply to edunn:

I'm sorry, but it always amuses me when I see the word 'cheap' in relation to Norway, which I believe is the most expensive country in the world. There's nothing remotely cheap about Norway, nor Rjukan for that matter. As said above, the cheapest place to stay - comparatively speaking - is probably the Old School Hostel in Bølgen, which is in downtown Rjukan, some distance from the centre so just popping out to the shops isn't easy without a car. It's contactable via FB only (as they no longer have a 'proper' website and clearly assume the whole world is now on FB.) It's reasonably priced but has limited space and books up quickly. Otherwise, places like Rjukan Hytteby offer nice but rather cramped accommodation with just about adequate self-catering facilities for which they will charge you an arm and a leg.

As for conditions in January, it'll be a bit risky as it's early(ish) season, but there again the same applies to everywhere else. Hopefully you'll be lucky and get really good conditions as Avinash Aujayeb did at the beginning of this year.

Alternatives? I've now been to Cogne a few times in mid January and it's been okay every time, but admittedly better some years than others, last year being the worst but we still climbed every day. If things are a bit slow in shaping up in the Cogne area by the beginning of January (which is unlikely), there's some really high stuff away from the Lillaz and Valnontey valleys that normally comes into condition in December (the start of the climbing season). This is located further west in Valsavarenche, Val di Rhêmes and Valgrisenche. Few Brits venture that far but it's well worth it. It goes without saying that Italy is also far far cheaper than Norway, even more so now with the current exchange rate.

I've also climbed extensively in the Embrun, Ceillac, Briancon, La Grave and Bourg-d'Oisans areas in mid January, but conditions have been far more miss than hit in recent years, so much so that we've stopped going there at that time of year.

Some food for thought if nothing else.

jasonC abroad 29 Nov 2015
In reply to edunn:
Not sure about conditions in Jan, only been in March and it's always been great, though some years when I've not been there has been little ice.

I've stayed here http://www.rjukanhytte.com/Site_UK/opening.asp which I think was the cheapest self-catering option but it is a little outside the town so'd you'd need a car. We were really mean and brought pasta/booze from the UK and just topped up in the local supermarkets, so it was not madly expensive.

Stayed here http://rjukan-hytteby.no/en once which was nearer the centre and nicer than the one above, but was more expensive.

Jason
Post edited at 12:36
 CurlyStevo 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Dave Williams:

I think mid January is probably approaching the most reliable bit of the season for Cogne (although can be a bad time for avalanches!), its very landlocked from westerlies and of a continental type of weather. I've not been to SW Norway but I think their weather is somewhat like a colder version of Scotland. It's way more maritime and influenced by westerly's. This means that Cogne tends to have its coldest times much closer to the winter solstice whilst SW Norway tends more towards spring for reliable conditions (like Scotland) once the sea is colder.

Looking at the recent temps cogne has been mostly cold some days topping at -18. Rjukan there is probably no ice formed at all yet.
 Drew52 30 Nov 2015
In reply to edunn:

Keep a close eye on the weather forecasts on yr.no.rjukan and the facebook page climb Rjukan/Tinn. Don't listen to the people on here about what might and might not be in......
 CurlyStevo 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Drew52:

I think the OP was looking to see if its a good bet for the first week of January. I guess like anywhere its a gamble, but they are all different gambles.

Where would you go within say 800 miles of London if you wanted to maximise your chances of getting a lot of good routes done for the first week in January without crazy walkins?

I bet there are better places in Norway to go if you want to give your self the best odds, let alone Europe.
 summo 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Drew52:
> Keep a close eye on the weather forecasts on yr.no.rjukan

yr.no tends to sometimes over estimate temperatures and certainly under estimates wind speeds, but it gives a good guideline. Looking at ski resort webcams/snowcasts gives a good feel to how conditions are too.

or here, http://www.lookr.com/lookout/1312876231-Rjukan
http://www.myweather2.com/Ski-Resorts/Norway/GaustablikkRjukan.aspx
Post edited at 08:34
 Tom F Harding 30 Nov 2015
I'm heading out there in February but really struggling to track down the heavy water guidebook. Everywhere seems to have them out-of-stock. It seems Rockfax passed the rights back to a local who hasn't reprinted the guide. Does anyone have a copy they would like to part with?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...