UKC

Computer Security

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 27 Nov 2015
What do you use?

I'm on Windows 10, and it seems when I upgraded I neglected to reinstall an antivirus program... (was using the BT provided version of McAfee previously)

As it happens, I haven't picked up any viruses or malware in the meantime as the windows security was on by default... my question is:

Is there any point in adding a 3rd party AV packageor is the Windows 10 security included good enough? if so which one? ( I can still get the BT one included with my Broadband)
Removed User 28 Nov 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Stick with windows defender. You don't need anything extra in terms of antivirus, and certainly shouldn't install McAfee or Norton or AVG, the 3 big evils.

What you should be doing if you want to improve overall security is make sure you're using a decent browser (firefox, chrome) and get ublock origin installed as an addon. Good a-d-b-l-o-c-k-i-n-g will cut off the most common source of infection.
 Sharp 28 Nov 2015

AVG used to be my go to but it's gone downhill to the stage where it's edging into being malware itself. Pop ups, adverts, I installed it on a brand new computer as basically the first thing I did and when i restarted it popped up saying "did you feel that, AVG just made your pc load up 235% faster" or something like that.

An anti virus has a unique position of having complete access to your pc, un-turn-off-able by design. imo it should work in the background not take advantage of your vulnerability to it by inundating you with pop ups and adverts telling you to use it's browser security, malware blocking stuff etc.
 Neil Williams 28 Nov 2015

Never install two AV products, it noticeably slows your machine down because they fight with each other, as an AV looks like malware to another AV. If you are going for a third party one, turn the Windows one off.
 markAut 28 Nov 2015

If you can use the machine in a user account with asfew privileges as possible. Have an admin account and use it as rarely as possible when you need to do admin stuff like installs.
 Shani 28 Nov 2015

Simple advice: create a restricted/locked down account which has no rights to install software and use this account for day-to-day browsing.
 ByEek 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Sharp:

> An anti virus has a unique position of having complete access to your pc, un-turn-off-able by design. imo it should work in the background not take advantage of your vulnerability to it by inundating you with pop ups and adverts telling you to use it's browser security, malware blocking stuff etc.

The trouble, is that AGV like most of these sort of programmes now make more money from advertising than from antivirus. I knew someone who met the boss of Windows Registry Cleaner. They make millions and millions in revenue on a product that is not required. To anyone that understands the Windows Registry, the idea of cleaning it is hilarious!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...