UKC

MTB Tyre question?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Graeme G 29 Nov 2015
Can i change from tubeless 26.2 to 26.4? I'm assuming this is just the width of the tyre so shouldn't matter but having never changed the tyres i have no idea. Probably looking at Maxxis Highroller II's.

Also can i set up Highrollers tubeless?
 DaveHK 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Don't know what the numbers you quote mean. Widths are generally in inches. Technically you can make most tyres work tubeless but it is easier and more reliable with dedicated tyres. Are the HRs such a tyre?
 DaveHK 29 Nov 2015

If you mean 2.2 and 2.4 then just be careful you have clearance as a 2.4 is quite a big tyre depending on how it actually measures up.
Graeme G 29 Nov 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
> If you mean 2.2 and 2.4 then just be careful you have clearance as a 2.4 is quite a big tyre depending on how it actually measures up.

D'oh...yes 2.2 and 2.4. What do you mean by "clearance"? I'm currently running on 26x2.2 tyres what ch have decided to blister at the walls ie time for a change.

Aaah...clearance to not hit the forks amd frame?
Post edited at 16:31
 DaveHK 29 Nov 2015

> Aaah...clearance to not hit the forks amd frame?

Yes.

All the Gear, No Idea 29 Nov 2015
It is unusual for a 2.4 tyre to NOT fit in your frame, but it will obviously depend on the frame,
Most modern mtb frames be it hardtail or full suss will be ok, forks are even less of an issue,
I run Maxxis High rollers tubeless with no issues at all BUT,,,,,,,there are about 30 "different" types of High Roller
What is the bike and what are your rims?
Graeme G 29 Nov 2015
In reply to All the Gear, No Idea:

It's a 10 year old Trek 8500. The rims are Bontrager tubeless race something or other. I'm not an avid biker and only got the bike as it was a great deal. Hence my lack of real knowledge of bike parts. It's Set up with race forks and Shimano XT kit. Though I've obviously never used it to race.
Graeme G 29 Nov 2015
In reply to All the Gear, No Idea:

Booked a good bike guy to come have a look at it, needs a service anyway. So will hopefully get some good advice on what to replace tyres with.

Chris the Tall 29 Nov 2015

Just have a very close look at how much clearance you have between the frame and the tyres - both along the chain stays and around the bottom bracket. Tyres have got bigger over the years and a 10 year-old bike that was designed for XC racing may be limited. For example I have a hardtail (Gary fisher x-caliber, so made by Trek) that's a mere 5 years old and I can't go above 2.25 on the rear. Slightly more room at the front, but not much

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...