UKC

Running Buggy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 30 Nov 2015
I would like to combine being a parent and a runner.
Can anyone recommend a decent running buggy?

Ideally it'd be light and could be towed by a bike.
 edordead 02 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

We have this one: http://www.johnlewis.com/out-%27n%27-about-nipper-360-single-v4-pushchair-r...

Good for running (though I have nothing to compare it to) and having taken it over some pretty rough terrain walking too. Light enough to carry around hilly valleys in Font when trying to find boulder problems and seems pretty bomb proof too. Just slightly fiddly to fold up. I guess if you wanted to tow it you could try to bodge something through the front axle?

Ed
 Nutkey 02 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

The only one I know of that fits that bill (running AND cycling) is the Chariot.

We have a BOB Revolution, which I bought second-hand six months before my first child was born. Seven years later, it's still going strong. It makes a great normal buggy as well (except for babies), because the front wheel can swap between swivel and locked (for running). It also has a fantastic hood for keeping the weather out (most of the photos only show it half-extended). You can also sit a child on the footrest (comfortably for the child, that is), which is fantastic for when the older sibling gets tired. We've been over very rough ground with the BOB. I've done a sub-20 5K with it mostly on unpaved trails.

The Chariot will be more of a compromise, because the front wheel is always locked, and it's bigger - but you get a cycle trailer, so you can cycle to your park runs. It might well be faster (bigger wheels). I wouldn't want to push the Chariot around a crowded city centre, and it'll be bigger in the foot.

Neither are cheap... though the BOBs are a lot more reasonably priced if you get one from the US - we got ours barely used second hand for $250...

wbo 02 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember: theres quite a few that will do the job, though it might involve changing the front wheel. Tried decathlon? We had one but that was a while back and I've forgotten the make

Roadrunner5 04 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:
I just bought a BOB revolution Flex, really nice, well built. Pretty much the go to brand out here. BUT would not be towable as far as I know.

EDITED Should have read nutkeys post!

To add we also use ours as our day to day buggy, it collapses ok and we can fit the car seat, via an adaptor, as ours is only young.
Post edited at 02:19
 wkrzys 04 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:
The Thule Chariot has been indispensable for us. The only thing is that it is huge and expensive - but it is super versatile and very good quality. It has big wheels and good suspension and handles rough terrain well, and then it can be easily switched over to the cycling attachment, which feels very safe and encompassing for the child, as well as also being able to adapt from newborns all the way up to 20kg's (or near enough!).

It can also carry a lot of stuff on it too, so you can run to the shops to do some shopping, you can stash plenty of water/diapers/bottles/blankets in it - or whatever you need, and it is weather proof - wind/rain/sun. When you need to, it folds down and disassembles to fit in the car boot, but its not small...

We've loved ours, and have ran many km's with it this year - but tend to try to stick to flatter terrain, pushing it up any steep gradient is REALLY good training lol.

PS. Finally... you can also take the wheels off and attach skis!!! I can't wait to try this winter
Post edited at 08:14
OP goldmember 04 Dec 2015
In reply to wkrzys:

I can get access to the CTS Chariot, but its a double and only has small front wheels.
I'm worried about the size of the thing its huge!
As it has no jogger wheel i had a look online and its £70 for one of these.

I'm not sure what to do
 toad 04 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

> I can get access to the CTS Chariot, but its a double and only has small front wheels.

> I'm worried about the size of the thing its huge!

>
Those things are enough of a menace at walking speed. Just fit a bronze barbed ramming spike and you could take up land piracy. Spear unsuspecting pedestrians and whilst they are trying to untangle themselves from the nappy bags and springy foam mobiles, you could drug them with calpol and steal their money

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...