UKC

Half Marathon to Ultra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 30 Nov 2015
I've only taken running up properly in the last year, having had a history of playing team sports.

done park run, 10ks and a half marathon.

When on training runs I much prefer off road stuff, just a nice feeling able to enjoy and not have to worry to much about times/pace.
Most i've ran is around 20 miles off road, felt strong after this.

Is it possible or advisable to from road based halfs to the sandstone challenge?
 steveriley 30 Nov 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Hiya - I help out on the Sandstone Trail Challenge and I'd say it was an ideal first ultra. Lots of checkpoints so you're never further than 5 or 6 miles from a friendly face and food/water if you need it. A couple more of those 20 milers and you'll be in good shape for it.
 ablackett 30 Nov 2015
In reply to goldmember:

If you put some long days in, you can get ready for the 80km in April. Step up the distance gradually, focus on hours rather than miles so you don't try and push the pace.

It would be a massive leap to do the 193km in April 2016 from where you are now, but 2017, why not?

You need to do lots of steady running on the type of terrain you want to race focus on staying injury free and learn to eat (and what to eat) as you run.

Best thing to do would be join a running club and meet lots of other people who have done similar things.
OP goldmember 30 Nov 2015
In reply to ablackett:

I really fancy doing it this year. I'll of course increase the time on my feet accordingly. Good to know its possible
 steveriley 30 Nov 2015
In reply to goldmember:
Ah, are we talking about different events? This is the one I'm wittering about... http://www.helsbyrunningclub.org.uk/sandstone-intro.htm
Post edited at 14:20
In reply to steveriley:

Thats the one i have in mind. run most of it walking if needed on the steepest ups and downs
 ablackett 30 Nov 2015
In reply to steveriley:

I'm chatting about this one.
http://www.trailoutlaws.com/sandstoneway.html
In reply to ablackett:

Christ that is one for the future!
 ablackett 30 Nov 2015
In reply to steveriley:

33 miles, agreed, what was said above. If you can run 20 miles, you can run 33. Just go steady and eat as much as you can.

steveriley 30 Nov 2015
In reply to ablackett:

Best not click on your link

Yep, there's a massive spread of abilities on the STC from 4h+ up to 12h for walkers (though I did chat with someone on the start line a couple of years ago all Rohan-ed up, long pants and decent size daypack - 'I might jog a bit' - who came in under 8 hours). There's not much steep stuff on the route, a few longer drags you might use to have a bite to eat. Entries open tomorrow as it goes
 steveriley 01 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

FWIW the boat has sailed - unless you've already entered, the Sandstone Challenge filled up just after lunch today. First time we've done online and we were a bit taken aback by the feeding frenzy!
OP goldmember 01 Dec 2015
In reply to steveriley:

it was before lunch! i tried to sign up 11.30 and not luck.

Could i enter as a walker and run it?
 steveriley 01 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:
Oof, there's rumours of marshals wrestling fake walkers to the ground and holding them back at checkpoints. I'll put another gentle word in to change the proportions of entries.
Post edited at 19:34
OP goldmember 01 Dec 2015
In reply to steveriley:
Good news does this mean I can run it?
OP goldmember 02 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Changed plan going to get the train to whitchurch and do it ourselves on a different date
 steveriley 02 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

Nice one. You pass a great pub 1/2 mile from the end (and my street!) and the finish in Frodsham is handy for train, pub, caff, chippy, etc. Couldn't say whether there'll be more runner places really. It's very doable on your own but you'd probably aim to carry more.
OP goldmember 02 Dec 2015
In reply to steveriley:

whats the pub called? refreshment will be needed at that stage!
 steveriley 03 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

As you come out from the last bit of woods on Frodsham there's the Bull's Head and Ring O'Bells on the left. Both do good guest beers and food. 1/2m wobble downhill to finish. Or finish at Bear's Paw and backtrack to Helter Skelter for a really great pub.
In reply to goldmember:

Yes but allow yourself a long time to recover afterwards. I went from half marathon to 26mile fell race in 4 months but went bouldering 3 days after the race (stiff but uninjured) and tore my knee to pieces. This was in June and still can only do <10km without making it hurt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...