UKC

Visiting Morocco

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Moley 30 Nov 2015
Someone on the forum (I forget who) was asking me to report on my trip to Morocco - regards tourist safety and political climate etc.

Just returned from only a week there, group trek in the Jbel Sarhro region, my 3rd time in Morocco. We flew to and from Marrakech with a short overnight stay there.

I found the country and people the same as usual, pleasant, kind and no animosity or tension. I felt 100% safe there, with no sign of Islamic fundamentalism or "anti-Western" feelings. They seem very much a moderate Islamic country and the people practice their religion (pray every day, don't drink etc.) in a gentle and tolerant way, they seem appalled by any idea of fundamental Islam and keep a very close eye on anyone whom they suspect of drifting that way in the villages and towns. Our guide said " If they start growing a beard they are watched carefully".

We saw hardly any beards and the women wore head scarves only and no veils (a very few in Marrakech, probably British tourists!). Security at the airport was tight and allow ages to get through immigration - that is the only slow bit.

So for anyone thinking of visiting Morocco, I wouldn't worry about it, I felt far safer there than in London. Lovely people, I hope it stays that way.
 Trangia 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Moley:

Thanks for that.

Very positive
 cousin nick 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Moley:

That totally reflects our visit to Jebel Sirwa in 2013. We found the Moroccan people that we met to be very helpful and friendly. Glad to hear that it is still the same. Hope to go back next year.
N
In reply to Moley:

Excellent. Was there two years ago, travelling around the north (as far south as a line between Tafroute and Merzouga) and our experiences completely mirrored yours, particularly local attitudes to would-be fundamentalists.

There's a lot of guff spouted about the country - I remember having to take young Bruce Hooker to task because he told someone they were at risk of decapitation if they visited. <Bless>

Wonderful place, fabulous climbing. Government not that great with personal freedoms, but no reason not to support the Moroccans.
Moley 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

There's so much Islamic/Muslim phobia about at the moment, it is easy for us all to forget the majority of them simply want to carry on with their lives in peace and tolerance. We need to have a balance.

There seem to be more freedom laws coming in, the king and government are modernising the country, so it was explained to us.
In reply to Moley:

Agreement breaks out in UKC thread....
 Rich W Parker 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Moley:

Nice one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...