UKC

facebook removes britain first

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 felt 30 Nov 2015
In reply to mark s:

It would be another welcome victory for common sense if Facebook itself was removed.
 ByEek 30 Nov 2015
In reply to felt:

> It would be another welcome victory for common sense if Facebook itself was removed.

Agreed. I have been quite a keen user of Facebook for about 3 years. But recently my news feed has just become a long list of news articles of varying political persuasions that people have read. Utterly dull. Bring on pictures of kids starting school!

So I have left. And it feels a bit odd. I used to post quite a lot of pictures but now whenever I think "I'll Facebook that" I actually think "Why did I do it?" and the sad realisation is because I wanted others to see how great my life was, to be noticed, to exist.

Now that it is no longer in my life I have been able to focus on those I genuinely care about. Life has genuinely improved.
 Brass Nipples 30 Nov 2015
In reply to ByEek:

I think many are coming to your conclusion ByEek and it is only a matter of time. Many of us, myself included, rarely post these days.

Timmd 30 Nov 2015
In reply to ByEek:
I've found facebook invaluable as a way of networking with and getting information from other people who are doing things Forest Schools related, a little bit similar to UKC now that the red circles appear to tell you somebody has posted a reply. I've been able to ask about things which have had me stumped and log on the same/next day to find helpful answers and links and things. When used in the right way it can be very useful.
Post edited at 17:26
 DaveHK 30 Nov 2015
In reply to ByEek:
> I have been able to focus on those I genuinely care about. Life has genuinely improved.

You can do that on FB by only having people you genuinely care about as friends.
Post edited at 17:54
 Liamhutch89 30 Nov 2015
In reply to ByEek:

Great post, I felt the same after removing mine, but have somehow slipped back into having one...
 DaveHK 30 Nov 2015
In reply to mark s:

It seems the BF FB page is back up.
 Timmd 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Timmd:
Ha ha, somebody's disliked my post about finding facebook useful. I can't help what reality is, I 'have' found it useful.

'I dislike reality...'
Post edited at 18:17
 marsbar 30 Nov 2015
In reply to mark s:

It may have been a bit of a scam to fundraise? They were asking for donations to the legal fund to fight the ban. Now it is mysteriously back.
Removed User 30 Nov 2015
In reply to marsbar:

This would not surprise me one bit. Can't they be prosecuted for a number of fraud offences, (poppies, bogus charities, etc)?
In reply to mark s:

a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black (or white in this case)
 Trevers 30 Nov 2015
In reply to ByEek:

Facebook is crap now, but I get a regular stream of videos of puppies which I would be loathe to lose.
 Mr Lopez 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Just hit the "unfollow" button on everyone that clogs your timeline with crap. I nuke without second thoughts anyone posting or sharing stuff from Britain First, etc, plus anyone posting "you'll never guess what happens next!!!" videos or photos of their babies. It then becomes a much more enjoyable experience.

Speaking of which, i discovered this excellent page today from a not very funny stand up comedian but an awesome writer and top quality ranter with a post from today relevant to this thread https://www.facebook.com/ISeeYouStories/photos/a.572035576233853.1073741829...

P.s. The Jeremy Corbyn one is the highlight so far, but still going through them all.
 ByEek 01 Dec 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> You can do that on FB by only having people you genuinely care about as friends.

I fully agree. But I realised that most of my genuine friends either don't have a Facebook account or don't post. The 200 odd people in my FB friends list are just people I once knew or met briefly. In the end I decided to unfollow all the people who posted political sh1t and unfollow all the people who I am never going to meet again and my news feed now has about 2 posts a day in it rendering it useless.

I do still go on occasionally, but don't contribute any more. I feel a bit sad about it, but at the same time really not at all. Its weird.
 Alyson 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Mr Lopez:

When I think about leaving Facebook I realise how much I'd miss I See You's brilliant writing!
 HakanT 01 Dec 2015
In reply to mark s:

This is the best thing on Twitter right now:

https://twitter.com/British_First
OP mark s 01 Dec 2015
In reply to HakanT:

very good

i set up a fake facebook account last night.it took 5 minutes of posting on their page for my account to be banned
the bf's outrage at their free speech being taken away seems to be a one way street.
 planetmarshall 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

> I think many are coming to your conclusion ByEek and it is only a matter of time. Many of us, myself included, rarely post these days.

People have been saying this for years. You could probably do a search on UKC and find people bemoaning facebook and predicting its downfall about as often as asking "Is it in yet"? Facebook has now been active for over a decade, and now boasts over 1.2 billion active users.

So yeah, I doubt Mark Zuckerberg is losing any sleep over a few disgruntled UKC users.
 krikoman 01 Dec 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

> So yeah, I doubt Mark Zuckerberg is losing any sleep over a few disgruntled UKC users.

What about the majority of gruntled users?
Jim C 01 Dec 2015
In reply to felt:

A few months ago I might have agreed, I'm a light user, and ignore a lot of stuff(Play games request etc.) so I kept with it, as it was handy to update family when I was away on trips.

But then we had a string of 4 family berevements all in 3 months, one in Australia and 3 here, and the Facebook Family group page has been invaluable for sharing information, grief, funeral arrangements and old memories/photos/etc.

(I'm still on it, but still just ignoring 95% of the content)
 Jamie B 06 Dec 2015
In reply to mark s:

> i set up a fake facebook account last night.it took 5 minutes of posting on their page for my account to be banned
> the bf's outrage at their free speech being taken away seems to be a one way street.

I got an hour of fighting back at them before someone pressed the button. I'd urge everyone to do the same.

Roadrunner5 06 Dec 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> Agreed. I have been quite a keen user of Facebook for about 3 years. But recently my news feed has just become a long list of news articles of varying political persuasions that people have read. Utterly dull. Bring on pictures of kids starting school!

> So I have left. And it feels a bit odd. I used to post quite a lot of pictures but now whenever I think "I'll Facebook that" I actually think "Why did I do it?" and the sad realisation is because I wanted others to see how great my life was, to be noticed, to exist.

> Now that it is no longer in my life I have been able to focus on those I genuinely care about. Life has genuinely improved.

It's very sad that your life is in any way affected by facebook like that..

I like Facebook, not living in the UK it allows me to keep unto date with friends and family. I think Facebook and what's app are the two most common ways I interact with friends and family. I have a friends group from school on what'sapp and a family group on it.

I'll skype with family on a weekly basis but we what's app constantly, none of us live within a 3 hour drive of each other so technology has made it much easier and cheaper.

It must have been so much harder to live in different areas even 10 years ago. It feels like I haven't been away as I get to see pictures of friends kids and stay uptodate with their lives.
 ByEek 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

No need to find my use of Facebook sad. It works for some and for many it just adds to the pressure of life. You are constantly checking it for approval. How many likes did my last post get compared to someone else's. How amazing does someone else's life look?

I am glad you find it a useful tool, but a bit of empathy wouldn't go a miss. Only this week, the Note to Self podcast was talking about this exact problem. I am not alone. There are millions of people in a similar situation but who perhaps don't recognise it.
 Roadrunner5 07 Dec 2015
In reply to ByEek:

But that's something about your and their life, not facebook.

If it wasn't facebook posts you'd be looking for some other acknowledgement. You are just removing one of the factors and not actually dealing with your issues then.. next it will be twitter.. or yik yak or whatever craze is next.

I do get a bit annoyed with the judgmental 'oh you use facebook' guff tbh, if anyone needs more empathy its those who judge people who enjoy what social media provides. Access.There is such paranoia about facebook and the data they collect yet we get to use a fantastic tool for free.

I think people do over share and use FB way too much buts that for them, however there is no denying it is a fantastic tool to keep up to date with family and friends without phone calls or specific emails.

Its also great to see news in various parts of the world and from different perspectives. I'd never read articles on say right wing news, but friends share them and you get to see things from their perspective, understand where they come from. Of course I still don't agree with such arguments but it's a great tool to share different views and keep in contact.

icnoble 09 Dec 2015
In reply to mark s: Facebook has been a great source of information and help for people hit by the floods in the Lake District.

Rigid Raider 09 Dec 2015
In reply to mark s:

I've never joined Farcebook and never wanted to join; the less information that's out in the public domain about me the better. I recently heard a Police officer talking about somebody the Police wanted to interview and he said: "He's not active on social media so he's proving difficult to find". Great!

The old joke says you don't need to outrun that lion, you just need to run faster than the other guy so I'm happy to stay below the radar and let other idiots attract all the attention.
 Clarence 09 Dec 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Now I'm suspicious...what are you doing that the Police might be interested in?
 The New NickB 09 Dec 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

You should try it, one more place to be smug and self satisfied!
 elliott92 09 Dec 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> become a long list of news articles of varying political persuasions that people have read..

I think you've just described 50% of the content of ukc at the moment

ByEek 09 Dec 2015
In reply to elliott92:

Perhaps, but UKC allows you to be a bit more selective. You can choose which threads to view based on the title. In Facebook land, you have no choice but to scroll through the crap. It was pictures of dead kids that put me off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...