UKC

SPOTY: 2015 Contenders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 30 Nov 2015
Who do you think should win?

The shortlist has been announced. Mo Farah, Jess Ennis, Greg Rutherford (Athletics), Chris Froome, Lizzie Armistead (Cycling), Lewis Hamilton (F1), Kevin Sinfield (Rugby League), Tyson Fury (Boxing), Lucy Bronze (Football), Adam Peaty (Swimming), Andy Murray (Tennis) and Max Whitlock (Gymnastics).

I'd like to see it go to Farah, but I suspect it won't because of the controversy around Nike Oregon Project.

I'm a big Lizzie Armistead fan, but I suspect most people were watching England lose to Wales whilst she was becoming World Champion.
 Yanis Nayu 30 Nov 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

I'll go JessEnnis I think. Hard to choose though.
 arch 30 Nov 2015
Strangely no Rugby players................

Edit: Union.
Post edited at 20:49

farah- but agree the oregon issue may cost him

murray will surely pick up a gong in the team category, and his individual record lacks a standout performance

froome then- british double TdF winner- who'd have predicted we'd be looking at that 5 years ago...?

Sean Kelly 30 Nov 2015

No cricketers! Root is rated no 1 in the world!! Broad takes 8 for 15 in 4.something overs to destroy the Aussies!!! Some people have short memories. No Vardy!!!! But then I suppose his effort came too late even for someone who was a non-league player until recently. But I must admit my money is on Murray even if he has no personality...

Good to see rugby league represented in the list for once and because of that, I'd vote for Sinfield.

Not a snowball in hell's chance it'll be him, mind.

T.
XXXX 30 Nov 2015

Farah is best in terms of attainment and has the best personality. Winning combo for me.

OP The New NickB 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It is surprising that there are no Ashes winning cricketers, Root would be the obvious choice. Maybe Tyson Fury or Andy Murray took his place at the 11th hour!
 Sean Kelly 30 Nov 2015

Apparently the final ten had been chosen by last weekend then Murray and Fury did the business, so the list was extended to 12.
 JayK 30 Nov 2015

I want it to be Farah (because what he has done is phenomenal) but feel it'll probably go to Ennis (who has also done something absolutely phenomenal.)

Hamilton, Fury, Rutherford, Murray and Froome are all amazing British sporting heroes. We are a lucky nation! Just a bit gutted there wasn't a Rugby hero to celebrate this year!
 Jim Hamilton 30 Nov 2015
In reply to JayK:

> Hamilton, Fury, Rutherford, Murray and Froome are all amazing British sporting heroes.

I thought the Fury fight looked as though it was staged - but no doubt he scores highly for "personality" !
 GrahamD 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> But I must admit my money is on Murray even if he has no personality...

What do you base that on ? his accent ? his TV persona ? My guess is that anyone who achieves what he has achieved must have a 'personility'.

Chris the Tall 03 Dec 2015

Jess Ennis-Hill gets my vote, followed by Andy Murray and Lizzie Armistead

Farah loses points for sticking with Salazar despite his lies, Hamilton and Froome for living in a tax haven and Fury for homophobia.

Good to see some under-reported sports getting a bit of attention - would have been nice if Rachel Atherton had made it, and a bit surprised that Joe Root was overlooked.

But please, can we have less about Andy Murray's supposed lack of personality. I know that people dislike him because he's Scottish. but be honest about that rather than inventing other reasons. The guy may have a boring voice but he clearly has a sense of humour, and seems a nice guy - witness him remembering to go over to the Belgians, or the way he rebuffed doubts about Mauresmo. He may not be a "character" like Kygrios, but is that such a bad thing ?
 Chris Harris 03 Dec 2015

*Pedant alert*

It's Lizzie Armitstead - NOT Armistead.

Tony the Blade 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

Fury may not get a look in due to reports (according to an interview with the Daily Mail) that he has made homophobic remarks.

Reports state that he said There are only three things that need to be accomplished before the devil comes home, one of them is homosexuality being legal in countries, one of them is abortion and the other is paedophilia. Who would have thought in the 50s and 60s that those first two would be legalised? It is also claimed that he was not scared of being accused of homophobia as his religious beliefs as a Christian confirmed for him that being gay is a sin.

balmybaldwin 04 Dec 2015

Has to be Lizzie for me.

Even tho I'm a little in love with Jess

I think Murray will get it this time tennis is very popular
 Roadrunner5 04 Dec 2015
In reply to Tony the Blade:
Its not reports the transcripts and recordings are online.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3343005/Tyson-Fury-tran...
Post edited at 02:40
 BnB 04 Dec 2015

Of the realistic contenders I'd like to see Mo win because his success has been so sustained, he had to fight very negative press in the run up to this year's world champs and it's always the true champions who can triumph in adversity, and because he actually has a personality. Jess winning wouldn't be a travesty although I find her a little dull.

However, the rightful winner in a world that valued all sports equally would be "Sir" Kevin Sinfield. The "Sir" bestowed by rugby fans is ironic not in mockery of his achievements but in sarcastic recognition of the indifference suffered by rugby league's heroes. This is a one club man who, in a sport that batters the body like no other, has captained the once sleeping giants of Leeds for virtually 20 years. And to what effect. In the last decade they have become what Manchester United were under Ferguson, except that, unlike Keane or Neville, Sir Kev is universally revered for his captaincy, sportsmanship and humility. In a season where Leeds won the whole flipping lot of trophies, Kevin's first utterance was to commiserate with losing cup finalists Hull HKR, whom Leeds had just walloped 50-0 in a display of rugby perfection, because he knew the pain of defeat from 5 consecutive cup final defeats of his own. And when Leeds ran out of steam in pursuit of their miracle treble, his experience and drive squeezed them over the line with seconds to go.

But there's no chance of his winning, though Leeds might have been team of the year until the Davis Cup triumph.
 goldmember 04 Dec 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Has to be Lizzie for me.

> Even tho I'm a little in love with Jess

> I think Murray will get it this time tennis is very popular

You Stay away from my Jess!

Has to go to the boxer. Great achievement, multiple world champ. Has a personality
 Roadrunner5 04 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

> You Stay away from my Jess!

> Has to go to the boxer. Great achievement, multiple world champ. Has a personality

No way.. For a start that weight is awful.

2nd his comments were a disgrace. Listen to the audio. If that's what we call a personality then wow!

For me personality is about strength to overcome, to be a role model, to bounce back. Ennis certainly has that.

Andy Gamisou 04 Dec 2015
In reply to goldmember:

> Has to go to the boxer. Great achievement, multiple world champ. Has a personality

Which one of the following options apply:

1. You are being ironic.
2. You are genuinely unaware of the ignorant and bigoted ramblings of this apology of an individual.
3. You are an ignorant bigoted apology of an individual too.

I hope (1), but fear that's it (3).

Jim Hamilton 05 Dec 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> No way.. For a start that weight is awful.

Is that a bit of a sizeist comment?!

> For me personality is about strength to overcome, to be a role model, to bounce back. Ennis certainly has that.

Personality - "a strong or unusual character" he seems to fit the bill, although not sure at what point you are just seen as being bonkers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...