UKC

Rjukan/Heavy Water

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Porter 30 Nov 2015
What do people use now that the guide is out of print??

Would be interested in purchasing a copy if someone has a copy they would be willing to unload?

Michael
 Tom F Harding 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Michael Porter:

I'm in the same boat Michael. Best of luck and again if anyone has any spare copies I would be very interested in buying it.
 GarethSL 01 Dec 2015

> What do people use now that the guide is out of print??

The one on the bookshelf at the old school

But to be fair most of the routes are well documented on UKC. It wouldn't be much effort to print the pages of the routes that interest you the most if you're planning a trip.

But of course its not quite the same kind of coffee table material...
In reply to GarethSL:
Can you show me where the 'well documented' pages of routes are please. I've had a look and can't find them.... Do you mean the small handful of photos with no location information other than their general area? If so that's not particularly useful, especially to a first time visitor.
Post edited at 10:40
 OllieF 01 Dec 2015

They had stacks of them at the Ice Festival in Rjukan last year, could be worth planning a trip that coincides with that? Or getting someone to bag one for you whilst they are there?

I have asked Tom Atle Bordevik and Jon Haukvassen what their plans are for this book. They bought the rights off me a few years ago since Tom had started publishing his own books but the new edition of this one seems to have stalled.

I'l report back on this thread if I find anything out.

Alan
 neilwiltshire 01 Dec 2015

It still astounds me that this is not in print. Apparently its not viable but it seems to me there's plenty of demand.
In reply to neilwiltshire:

> It still astounds me that this is not in print. Apparently its not viable but it seems to me there's plenty of demand.

It isn't a great seller but there is enough of a demand to make it worthwhile and it certainly isn't the fact that it is 'not viable', it probably is a question of priorities for the authors.
 Boogs 01 Dec 2015

Hi Michael , I've got an as new copy I would part with for a reasonable price. Over to you sir . . .

Can send pics of course .

Cheers Leon .

I'll be at the Ice Festival this year, with a group from the North East Wales Mountaineering Club.

If people want copies of the book, let me know by a reply below, or a private message. If there are some available, I'll get as many as possible up to the number requested, and pass them on in a first-come-first-served basis?

Always happy to help

In reply to Mr. Lee:

Thanks for the links Lee but unfortunately you need a credit card for the first one (I only have debit) and the second one doesn't work with Google translator so I have no idea what it's asking me.
 Mr. Lee 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Tom F Harding:

> Thanks for the links Lee but unfortunately you need a credit card for the first one (I only have debit)

There is no "Visa Debit" in Norway. Visa debit cards just say "Visa" on the front. Therefore if you have a Visa debit card just select Visa for payment and it should be fine. Otherwise maybe give them a call.

> and the second one doesn't work with Google translator so I have no idea what it's asking me.

Just tried myself with the second shop (I can read Norwegian). I can't find a way of selecting a non-Norwegian billing/delivery address but I'd give them a call as I'm sure you could work something out.

Another option might be these guys:

https://www.facebook.com/Piteraq-Tinder-Banditter-538422326283614/?fref=ts

They don't have a website but try messaging them through FB and maybe you could sort something. I think I've seen copies there.
 neilwiltshire 03 Dec 2015

I actually saw one in my local Cotswold yesterday - worth looking out there if you have one nearby. Could potentially buy and post to you if you can send me the dosh.

Cheers,

Neil.
 planetmarshall 03 Dec 2015

> What do people use now that the guide is out of print??

Find an ice fall, gear up at the bottom and climb to the top.
 Brass Nipples 03 Dec 2015

I have a copy, nearly new, if still interested.

ro8x 04 Dec 2015

Hi all,

Have a brand new guide going spare if anyone needs it.

Karl

I have been in contact with Tom and he has acknowledged that it is unlikely that he will ever produce a new book.

He has agreed though to let Rockfax produce an App version based on the 2005 book and we are starting to do that now. It should be pretty quick to turn around so hopefully will be available for this season. Keep an eye on the Rockfax site for more information on this.

Alan

ro8x 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Brilliant news.

As an aside, if anyone wants a physical copy of the book, I have found a shop in Rotherham of all places with 6 copies in stock at £8 a go.

Obviously most people won't live near Rotherham, so if anyone is interested in a copy I would be more than happy to buy it on your behalf and post to you for the cost of stamp.

Karl
 neilwiltshire 09 Dec 2015

Well done Alan, that is good news. Not good news that they're not going to reprint it of course. Crazy that they would buy the rights and do nothing with it!
In reply to neilwiltshire:

> Crazy that they would buy the rights and do nothing with it!

TBH there isn't much money in this book and it would be a lot of effort to re-do. It wouldn't be the first time that someone had plans for a guidebook that never materialised owing to other things happening in their lives.

Alan

The Rjukan App version is now at the App Store awaiting confirmation. I anticipate it being available this week. I'll put an item on the Rockfax site when it has been verified by Apple.

It is basically just the old guidebook information with a few minor updates from the online notes and feedback.

Alan
 GarethSL 11 Jan 2016

No android version?
In reply to GarethSL:

> No android version?

The Android version of the App should be available later in 2016, probably after the summer now.

Alan
 nation1 11 Jan 2016
Here u go about £20 if I'm right plus delivery obviously

https://www.oslosportslager.no/produkt/rockfax-heavy-water-isklatreforer-fo...

Good Facebook link for recent conditions also

https://www.facebook.com/groups/118510158161538/
Post edited at 17:43
 Jim Fraser 11 Jan 2016

I expect to be at Krokan Fjellstue for skiing later in the season. I may take ice gear if the baggage allowance is enough. Not many short 2's shown near Krokan Fjellstue. Is there likely to be 'bouldering ice' nearby?

Rjukan is now available on the Rockfax App for £14.99 - http://www.rockfax.com/publications/rockfax-app/

Alan
 nation1 22 Jan 2016

Hi a friend of mine has a new copy of heavy water please mail me if anyone is interested.
 Danylo 27 Jan 2016

You can buy the Rjukan Heavy Water guidebook in the Sport1 store in Rjukan for 250 NOK (Norwegian Kroner). We bought 1 there last week. There were at least another 4-5 copies on the shelf.
 neilwiltshire 02 Feb 2016

Found two brand new copies in my local climbing wall shop.

Can purchase and post at cost price to anyone that wants them.

Neil.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...