UKC

Fresh meat!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Taff2509 30 Nov 2015
Hi all, I am interested in starting rock climbing! And looking to do some courses if such a thing out there? I have a £150 budget to buy kit! What sort of kit would you advise

Thanks Taff
In reply to Taff2509:
With 150 quid, you can equip yourself so that people don't need to lend you any personal gear - this might make it easier for them to take you out, so you could do a lot more.

With some careful shopping - you don't need really high end stuff - you should be able to get a harness, boots, chalk bag, helmet, belay device and a couple of slings with screwgates. You'd be good to go.

Alpkit do some cheap gear, including bundles - harness, belay device and chalk bag for fifty quid:

https://www.alpkit.com/bundles/fixe-magic-verso-rock-climbing-starter-pack
Post edited at 23:24
 Smythson 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Taff2509:
Hi Taff,

You've had a lot of views but no replies so here goes...

I'm not sure where you're at in terms of kit or skills but assuming both are nil and also assuming you're talking trad or sport climbing (ie not bouldering - you can, in loose terms, start that just by turning up at the wall)

- I would spend some of your budget on instruction to tie in and belay safely - these are key to start climbing safely with other people.

- Join a club or find interested friends to climb with. There are also social nights at a lot of walls

- As a basic start for climbing gear i would say shoes, harness, belay device and HMS carabiner, chalk bag... there is a lot of climbing bling out there.

If you have specific questions i would do some searching on here first and if you can't find an answer then post up.

Best,

S

Just noticed MnM beat me to it but ditto to above!
Post edited at 23:19
 olddirtydoggy 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Taff2509:

2 new to climbing mates have used this deal last week.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mammut-ophir-harness-package-p366354
Perfect harness for all round climbing and the other bits are good to go for a starter.
I doubt you'd beat this deal as a starting kit.
Taff2509 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Taff2509:

Thanks for the replies guys, I have just bought shoes, harness bundle and helmet £133 just need to buy a few other bits!

I have a small amount of knowledge as to double fig 8, bowlines, clove hitch etc etc!

I'm not to sure of clubs around Swansea but could ask at my local wall centre.

SenzuBean 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Taff2509:

> Thanks for the replies guys, I have just bought shoes, harness bundle and helmet £133 just need to buy a few other bits!

> I have a small amount of knowledge as to double fig 8, bowlines, clove hitch etc etc!

> I'm not to sure of clubs around Swansea but could ask at my local wall centre.

Here you go mate: http://www.southwalesmountaineering.org.uk/

Looks like a good club
 MikeSP 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Taff2509:

Taff, if you're in Swansea I would look at south Wales Mountaineering Club. Swmc.org.UK

Taff2509 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Taff2509:

Thanks again all
 carr0t 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Taff2509:

What has been suggested is great! Assuming 0 gear and the intention to go out and do some trad, harness, helmet and shoes along with a club membership are absolute minimum. Further nice to haves in order are: nut key, 2-3 slings + screwgates, a cordalette maybe?

Whatever you do, get some cord from a climbing shop(around 1 or 2 meters of 5/6mm should set you back 3-4 pounds at most) and make up some prussiks. Learn how to use these well. 1 can be used for making yourself safe on abseils. 2 can be used for self rescue from some very sticky situations. Very very important stuff to know!
 gethin_allen 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Taff2509:

Personally I'd have kept the money in the bank for a few weeks until you've had a few goes down at dynamic rock and worked out if you really enjoy it.
As it is, you've picked up the essentials for what seems like quite a reasonable price.

Saying this, I've no idea exactly what you've bought and you may decide you want to change things a bit when you've gained a bit of experience. It took me three goes to buy a pair of rock boots that were a reasonable balance of comfortable and effective: the first pair were like carpet slippers, the second pair so tight I lost feeling in my toes after a few minutes wearing them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...