UKC

A foxing situation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lucas95 01 Dec 2015
A young fox has moved in to my local area. Can't blame him, lots of rabbits for him.

The problem is, he has now followed me twice when l have walked my dog (a small terrier mix). I have tried chasing him off but he just follows me again, when l stop. I have also tried throwing stones to warn him off.

How can l deter him without injuring him or my dog getting hurt.
 Forester3 01 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:

I wouldn't worry too much about it - this has occasionally happened to me when walking my dog last thing. It was a bit alarming at first (a bit like being stalked), but nothing ever happened. I guess it's just young foxes being curious
OP lucas95 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Forester3:

That's what l initially thought, but, the fox has come within a few metres of me and isn't scared or deterred by my in the slightest.
 Timmd 01 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:
You could try a powerful-ish water pistol? Probably not many animals like an unexpectedly wet nose and face.

Not powerful enough to hurt it though.
Post edited at 20:50
 Wsdconst 01 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:

Keep him as a pet ?
 Billhook 01 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:

A fox is not a match for most domestic dogs. Indeed terriers were used to flush both badgers and fox's from the dens/setts. Fox's are pretty timid and don't want to risk getting into a fight (for what purpose? - it certainly cannot be food from your dog). It is not in a fox's interest to get itself injured.

As some others have said, fox's learn and a part of learning is to be curious. I've sat in my car with the door open once at night and a youngish fox came trotting along the road and looked at me sitting down, and just ambled off as though it was an every day occurrence.

The one you met may have learned that humans mean food and so its hoping if you follow one around he'll get a biscuit. My dog has taken to trying to follow our postman on his rounds because our dog has learned the postmen have dog treats in their bags and therefore is worth her while to follow....

What happens if you 'shoo' the fox away or try walking towards it?
 Forester3 01 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:

It's highly likely this one has been fed by someone who takes the view "I like to see foxes in the garden". Unfortunately, this benevolence often leads to foxes becoming used to the close proximity of humans and no longer perceiving us as a threat. Also, if fed on dog/cat food, kichen scraps or whatever from a young age the chances are they never learn how to hunt properly, or at least hone their hunting skills, as they would have to do in the wider countryside. In this situation they will probably get by through scavenging; e.g. bin raiding, living off road kill etc.

It maybe that whoever was feeding your 'follower' has moved on and no longer around so it is hungry and hoping you will feed it!
 krikoman 01 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:

Why are yo worried?

I'd be happy as Larry.
OP lucas95 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

Have tried shooing, shouting and running straight at him. He just backs off a bit and then follows me again.

Have seen him a few times without my dog and he stays away, so, guessing he is interested in my dog.

And lm worried because l don't want my dog to get hurt. He's a lover, not a fighter.
In reply to lucas95:
What exactly is it that's upsetting you?

Edit: gotcha. But is there any evidence that he's looking to attack your dog? It'd be uncharacteristic for a fox, particularly a fairly sociable one.

Now a badger, that would rip both your heads off. And then sh*t TB into the holes.
Post edited at 21:59
 balmybaldwin 01 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:
What sort of dog are we talking here? Lab sized, shitzou or something in between?

is it a bitch and is there a possibility shes on heat?

What does your dog make of the fox? interested? scared? barky?
Post edited at 22:15
 coinneach 01 Dec 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Small terrier mix if you can be arsed reading the OP
 Andy Morley 01 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:
> That's what l initially thought, but, the fox has come within a few metres of me and isn't scared or deterred by my in the slightest.

There is some precedent for your concern; I've noticed news items about this sort of thing and read up on them as we have foxes near our house. The following links are about fox attacks on humans. It's usually babies but the third one relates example relates to adults. I'd take it with a pinch of salt though, the people involved sound like drama queens:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8726282.stm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-125763/Parents-tell-horror-fox-atta...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/11714093/Vicious-fox-traps-e...

As for fox attacks on pet dogs, apparently they do happen but from what I gather, foxes only pick on chihuahuas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1292147/Pet-dog-killed-latest-attac...
Post edited at 23:42
 arch 02 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:

What reaction does the dog make to the Fox ??

With it having Terrier in it I would of thought the dog would be very interested in the Fox. You could put the dog on a longer lead and let it chase the Fox off, whilst keeping the Dog under control of course.
ceri 02 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:
The fox could even be a "rescue" who has now been released and is therefore rather confused about his identity. If this was my small terrier mix I'd be very worried for the fox: he sees off badgers from our local walks (who incidentally will also only fight when cornered). Is your dog on a lead? How is your dog reacting? I'd prob ignore him and hopefully he'll grow up and learn dogs are not friends before he has a nasty accident.
 Clarence 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

> I'd take it with a pinch of salt though, the people involved sound like drama queens:

A local guy reported a fox snooping around in his kitchen and eating out of a discarded takeaway tray. By the time the local rag had finished the story had become "Fox menaces terrified toddlers", despite the fact that the kids were at playgroup at the time.

I have a fox that visits the garden and follows me to the bus stop occasionally. He got a bit too near to next door's cat a while ago and the cat turned on him. Since then he has given grumpy cat a wide berth. Foxes are only really dangerous to pets if they are hungry but if there are plenty of rabbits around he shouldn't be much of a danger. Take a stick and give him a sharp rap on the nose if he comes too close, should do the trick.
In reply to lucas95:
I live in London at the moment. There's a particularly friendly fox on my road who seems to love me and my dog (whippet called Lola). He will come up to us when we're walking down the street and walk with us. Lola wasn't sure to begin with but over several months they seem to have become pretty good mates... though they never get close enough to touch.
Post edited at 09:13
In reply to lucas95:

Whats the difference between a dog and a fox?

8 pints
 JamButty 02 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:

Could you not borrow a few hounds, put on a red jacket and poncey hat, and when he appears blow a bugle and release the dogs?
Problem solved.....
 Timmd 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Very good given the thread.

The same answer to the difference between a stud and a let down I guess.
Post edited at 18:18
 Trangia 02 Dec 2015
In reply to lucas95:

Once whilst walking high in the Spanish Sierra Filabres we were joined by a fox who stayed with us all day. He wasn't frightened and trotted along in the woods either side of us crossing the path from time to time and stopping to gaze at us. He never came closer than about 10 yards but was clearly "with" us all day.

It was weird.
 Timmd 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:
> What exactly is it that's upsetting you?

> Edit: gotcha. But is there any evidence that he's looking to attack your dog? It'd be uncharacteristic for a fox, particularly a fairly sociable one.

> Now a badger, that would rip both your heads off. And then sh*t TB into the holes.

I'm sure I've seen pictures of injured dogs claiming to be caused by cornered foxes (in fox holes) during fox hunts?

I'll bow to your vet knowledge about what normally happens though, badgers sound pretty mean if they'll shit down the holes.
Post edited at 18:42
In reply to Timmd:

> I'm sure I've seen pictures of injured dogs claiming to be caused by cornered foxes (in fox holes) during fox hunts?

Tim, I suspect even *you* would fight if cornered like that (and I mean that in the nicest possible way).

Dog and a Fox. Priceless.
 Timmd 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

Ha ha, yes I would, & compliment accepted. Been pondering self defence classes actually, might be nice to have more than being fleet of foot as a way of getting out of trouble.
In reply to Andy Morley:
I'd be really worried if it might mean I'd 'tweak my groin'.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...