UKC

Cragging Car?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
KeenClimber94 02 Dec 2015
Hey Climbers

I have just started climbing more seriously of recent and have started investing in some good kit finally. I am also in the need of a new car and was wondering if there is an ideal climbers car great for cragging. room in the back for stopping over would be great and space gear?

Cheers
 Oldsign 02 Dec 2015
In reply to KeenClimber94:

Skoda Octavia. End of thread.
 Hyphin 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Oldsign:

Just cause I've never saw one recommended in this recurrent thread, I've got an old diesel Nissan Primera which is doing the job fine; suspect the estate would be even better.
 pec 02 Dec 2015

Large diesel estates are the car of choice for most climbers for their load carrying capacity, good fuel efficiency (plus cheaper diesel on continental trips if do them) and high mileage capability.
Numerous threads on here have reached the consensus that the Octavia is the pick of the bunch but if you say what age/price you're looking for you may get more helpful responses.
 Billhook 02 Dec 2015

A good car for climbers is called a van.

You can have your car and sleep in it. But you cannot insulate it. You cannot stop people looking in it. You can't move in it. You can't move around in it. And you...............etc.,

Even with a small van such as a vauxhall combi you can insulate it, no one can see in, you can move around a bit and you can store enough kit for a winter's trip. And its as comfortable and easy to drive as a car is. (did I mention I own a small van?)
 Brass Nipples 02 Dec 2015

Ford transit

Dave Williams 02 Dec 2015

+1 for a small van. Mine's a 12 year old Renault which does a minimum 15K a year. Six figure mileage now and it's been totally reliable; no electrical issues, no rust, 1.5 diesel which averages 50+ mpg. 100% impressed.

Driven an Octavia estate for several thousand miles, a 2015 2.0Tdi 4x4. Horribly noisy for a new car, not very economical, only rode and handled well when half loaded, so overall I wasn't impressed. Just my personal opinion mind, but I wouldn't buy one, not even an older model. There must be equally good - or probably even better - estates about, particularly from Japanese / Korean manufacturers, although Focus or Astra estates are worth a look too IMHO.
Removed User 02 Dec 2015

Do a search, there are almost as many threads on climber's cars as there are about climbing. They generally follow a pattern: Octavias and Mondeos will be recommended, then a few Passats and 'I've had a French car for years and it never let me down" followed by one or two people recommending a BMW which will elicit a few contrary remarks based on driving in the snow and penis size. After roughly 10-15 posts the thread will turn into a wish list of the most expensive cars which will take a partner and couple of rucksacks, with the odd recommendation to buy a tin can on wheels from eBay because anyone who does otherwise has a tiny penis (q.v. BMW).

If you can't be bothered doing a search, get a BMW estate
 aln 02 Dec 2015

Huge 4×4's are super for driving to the climbing wall!
 olddirtydoggy 02 Dec 2015

I use a ford transit. Cheap to run and maintain and tons of space. I have the mid high, short wheel base and you can sleep 2 with loads of gear. The short wheel base means you can park it like a car and the height lets you hang gear and stand up in it.

Skoda Octavia. End of thread. Again.
 Boogs 02 Dec 2015
 spenser 02 Dec 2015

My vehicle of choice is the Skoda Roomster, quite nice to drive and quite cheap to insure (1000 for me compared to at least 1600 for an octavia), there aren't many about on the secondhand market though as most people seem to be put off by the weird looks.
In reply to aln:

> Huge 4×4's are super for driving to the climbing wall!

mine certainly is, and it's roomy enough for two people to sleep in comfort in the back on a floor which folds completely flat and allows you to stretch out on weekends away.
 cousin nick 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

I too have a van - 2007 Citroen Berlingo with 1.6L turbo diesel. Ply lined and insulated back.

Positives:
Plenty of room for kit.
Not bad on fuel 55mpg+ if driven sensibly.
Engine has lots of torques (grunt for hills).
Front wheel drive with diesel lump on top give good traction in snow (with appropriate tyres).
Very reliable and cheap to maintain.
Blandness of a small white van.

Negatives:
With any small van, you still get stung for LGV tax (Blingo van costs £225). The SAME vehicle in its car specification (Berlingo Multispace) with the same engine, costs only £30 per year. Effectively, people who own vans for private use are penalised for owning them.
Its not big enough to sleep in the back unless you are under 5'6".
Being a van, its geared for its potential 600kg payload. When lightly loaded, you wish there was another gear to soak up all the torques.
Limited seat adjustment for driver, none for passenger - a pain (literally) on long trips.

N
 Hat Dude 03 Dec 2015

Maserati Quattroporte

No reason, I'd just like one
 Billhook 03 Dec 2015
In reply to cousin nick:

Nick
I agree with your point about tax.

I can just sleep inside mine (I'm 5'11") and there's also the ability to open the cargo end into the passenger space so you can put longer loads (or you if you are very long).

There was no 'lever to adjust the travel of the front passenger seat in mine either. but the seat appeared to have the mechanism under it. so I went to a scrap yard removed a driver's seat lever and put that on the passenger side. Worked a treat. Perhaps you could get a driver's seat from a scrap yard and replace the passenger seat.?
 ianstevens 03 Dec 2015

Assuming that 94 in your user name implies that you were born in 1994, I would suggest a car that doesn't cost you thousands of pounds to insure. Every year from 20-22 I looked at getting a bigger car for cragging, but insurance was simply prohibitve - why would I want to pay £2k to insure a £500 rustbucket estate? So I stuck with a small car which I could afford.

The minute I hit 25 and hence became "less risk" in the eye of insurace companies I got a Landrover. It's old enough to not have a DPF so is suprisngly cheap on fuel and can be run on an a Veg Oil mix so you don't need to worry as much about trashing the planet. Very spacious, long enough to sleep in with the seats down and is able to park in all kinds of muddy and interesting situations. Also can be used to reduce crag apporaches in certain situations...
 Valkyrie1968 03 Dec 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

Ian, your reply is the only one in this thread that doesn't elicit fury in my heart - and even then, it still gives me minor palpitations. To the OP, and to all of the other posters who are assisting him in his quest to despoil our planet and its environment, I say this; STOP. If you truly love the mountains and all of the beauty they afford, if you love grass and dolphins and the futures of your children, then for the love of all this is holy, cycle or walk to wherever you're climbing. You can even buy a small tent and carry it on your back!
 Andy Hardy 03 Dec 2015

Are you looking for a car that says "hello world, I'm a climber" or are you looking for cheap transport?

As for sleeping in the car - buy a tent, bivi bag or a van. Cars are crap for sleeping in.
 nniff 03 Dec 2015

Whatever you do, don't get something with run-flat tyres. I can't think of anything much worse than getting a 'flat' in the middle of nowhere and not being able to do anything with it worth speaking of. Your chances of being able to find a replacement (because they can't be repaired) within 50km is almost certainly zero.

Why do I say this? Because my wife's got a 'flat' tyre on Saturday evening. It helpfully told me that this was the case, because you couldn't tell by looking. I pumped it up. On Sunday, it was flat again. So we called the esteemed manufacturer's helpline. On Sunday afternoon, the car was taken away on a low-loader, to be replaced by a hire car. We finally got it back on Tuesday night (quicker than they thought, given it's got run-flat winter tyres).

It took longer on the phone to sort out than it would to change a wheel (if it had one).

However, it did rather neatly answer the question 'Why would you buy run-flat tyre insurance?' Answer - I wouldn't, unless it was part of 'If I buy a car from you, will you throw in a, b, c. and d' . Paid for itself in 3 weeks as it turned out.

The moral of this tale? Full-size spares are a very useful part of a climber's car. Note: not all cars have wheels the same size front and back and so a space saver may be as good as it gets.
 Hat Dude 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Valkyrie1968:

Please can you tell me which mountain ranges I can see Dolphins in, that'll be really cool!
KeenClimber94 03 Dec 2015
I am guessing you live in an area with greater accesibility to doliphin filled mountains than I do. Because I would be averaging 5hour Bike rides and even longer walks just to access the blandest of grass covered fells never mind cragging, hence the thread asking about a cragging car and not a the best road bike for the adventurer. thanks to everyone esle for the great ideas though keep them coming.
Post edited at 18:52
Graeme G 03 Dec 2015
> Ian, your reply is the only one in this thread that doesn't elicit fury in my heart - and even then, it still gives me minor palpitations. To the OP, and to all of the other posters who are assisting him in his quest to despoil our planet and its environment, I say this; STOP. If you truly love the mountains and all of the beauty they afford, if you love grass and dolphins and the futures of your children, then for the love of all this is holy, cycle or walk to wherever you're climbing. You can even buy a small tent and carry it on your back!

Planets doomed anyway. You're wasting your time.
Post edited at 18:37
 annep 03 Dec 2015

I opted for Skoda Fabia instead of the bigger Octavia. As an aspiring alpinist I figured my light weight gear would easily fit in the smaller model. And you still get the same Skoda efficiency and reliability.
scottbclimb 03 Dec 2015

In my humble opinion there is no such thing as the perfect "climbers car" however here is a list of must haves:

it must say "yeah that's right I climb"
lots of cubby holds in the cockpit so you can leave different climbing memorabilia around so friends/hunnys see them
big enough to fit all your friends in plus there massive egos

my advice would be to ask on here to test drive as many "climber cars" as possible before committing and it being the wrong one! cant bear the thought of a non climbers car aka punter wagon
Post edited at 18:58
 Alex Akers 03 Dec 2015
In reply to KeenClimber94

Another variable to consider would be what area you will be climbing in and on what rock? Is it for trad, sport, bouldering or tooling?

Have you looked into motorbikes / scooters? Very economical choice
 Brass Nipples 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Hat Dude:
> Please can you tell me which mountain ranges I can see Dolphins in, that'll be really cool!

The Dauphine Alps in France
Post edited at 23:14
 Dauphin 03 Dec 2015

Citroen Xsara Picasso. Cheap as chips and for parts. . Back Seats come out, you can put a double mattress, inflatable thingy in the van (sort of) sized area. Nice upright roomy cockpit. Attracts no attention.

Drives like a lame pig, coolness factor negative points.

I'm Ronnie Pickering!

D
 d_b 03 Dec 2015

I always freeze if I try and sleep in a car. I reckon your options are either to take a small tent or go the whole hog and get a camper/do a van conversion.

If you are set on a car that you can kip in then any old estate should do the job. Personally I wouldn't bother.
 Hat Dude 04 Dec 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

> The Dauphine Alps in France

I like their potatoes
In reply to Dauphin:

Let's 'ave a bareknuckle then...
KeenClimber94 04 Dec 2015

To be honest I am some what disheartened and disappointed by some of the community that resides on UKC although some of the comments seem genuine and helpful I have had difficulty sifting the wheat from the chaff. I am grateful for those who have offered genuine advice but on the other hand those who seem to find amusement in making what is probably the second biggest investment of my life so far even more of a struggle I despair. Please refrain from such childish behaviour in future. Having looked into some of 'Genuine' options I am now unsure whether to go for a van or a car what are the long term savings of a van over a car or vice-versa
 Goucho 04 Dec 2015

> Ian, your reply is the only one in this thread that doesn't elicit fury in my heart - and even then, it still gives me minor palpitations. To the OP, and to all of the other posters who are assisting him in his quest to despoil our planet and its environment, I say this; STOP. If you truly love the mountains and all of the beauty they afford, if you love grass and dolphins and the futures of your children, then for the love of all this is holy, cycle or walk to wherever you're climbing. You can even buy a small tent and carry it on your back!

You are so right.

I've recently fitted a natural hemp trailer to my unicycle (made from a recycled spin dryer and wrought iron plant pot holder) and can now make the round trip from the South coast to Fort William in under 7 weeks.
 Goucho 04 Dec 2015
> To be honest I am some what disheartened and disappointed by some of the community that resides on UKC although some of the comments seem genuine and helpful I have had difficulty sifting the wheat from the chaff. I am grateful for those who have offered genuine advice but on the other hand those who seem to find amusement in making what is probably the second biggest investment of my life so far even more of a struggle I despair. Please refrain from such childish behaviour in future. Having looked into some of 'Genuine' options I am now unsure whether to go for a van or a car what are the long term savings of a van over a car or vice-versa

You really are new to UKC aren't you?
Post edited at 20:59
Zoro 04 Dec 2015
In reply to KeenClimber94: hahahahahaha! You're kidding right?
I think the only truly sincere thread on here is the helicopter implementation rescue thingy thread?

If i were you I definitely buy a skoda, hahahahahaha!

Andy Gamisou 05 Dec 2015

> what are the long term savings of a van over a car or vice-versa

You can fit more crag swag into a van, so if you only go to popular areas and are suitably industrious with regards to how 'fortunate' you are in finding stuff, you can easily turn a profit on trips.

Andy Gamisou 05 Dec 2015

> what are the long term savings of a van over a car or vice-versa

Actually, now I think about it, I'd definitely go for the vice-versa.
 Barry Harper 05 Dec 2015

Ford Fiesta. End of thread. Again
 IMA 05 Dec 2015

novel idea, but the one you can fit your kit into, you like the look of and you enjoy driving? Given that you will spend a few grand may as well get some joy as well as function out of it
 pec 05 Dec 2015
> I am now unsure whether to go for a van or a car what are the long term savings of a van over a car or vice-versa >

It depends on whether you want to ever be able to take more than one passenger and if you're prepared to pay more for tax and insurance on a van.
The vast majority of climbers manage with a normal car and you can kip in the back of any large estate on the odd occasion. If you think you will want to regularly sleep in it then it might be worth it for a van.
As a compromise, things like the Citroen Berlingo are basically vans with back seats you could take out when not needed, Peugoet and Renault do similar things.
You can get (or make for much less) camper conversion kits to go in the boot of these
http://www.amdro.co.uk/boot-jump-camper-car/boot-jump-with-screens-water-bo...

If you want something bigger a 7 seater people carrier like the Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra or one of the Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat eurovans makes a good compromise. Take out the back 2 seats and you have an estate with a huge boot, take the middle 3 out as well and you have a big van.

If you tell us what your budget is it would help people to be more specific.

scottbclimb 05 Dec 2015
Just be aware of advice on the forum! There seems to be mention of things like the Skoda Octavia and fabia, Skoda tend to be overrated and pricey.
 radddogg 05 Dec 2015
In reply to Oldsign:

Cough emissions scandal cough
 annep 06 Dec 2015
In reply to scottbclimb:

> Just be aware of advice on the forum! There seems to be mention of things like the Skoda Octavia and fabia, Skoda tend to be overrated and pricey.

You've clearly never driven a Skoda.

On a more serious note: What's everyone's favourite Batman movie?
 Alex Akers 06 Dec 2015
In reply to scottbclimb:

If you have a full rack + rope or you are planning on winter activities then the skoda octavia is worth the extra price... fit it all in and more.

Batman begins is definately the best...

scottbclimb 06 Dec 2015
In reply to annep:

I think the keen climber is looking for advice on a car and not wanting to discuss batman movies!!
 Oldsign 06 Dec 2015
In reply to radddogg:

Too true. Dawes Galaxy with front and back panniers it is then. Tent, rack, rope and Tesco Hudl loaded with super hero movies. Job done.
 Brass Nipples 06 Dec 2015

Is the Vice Versa a Renault?

Goucho 06 Dec 2015
In reply to scottbclimb:

> I think the keen climber is looking for advice on a car and not wanting to discuss batman movies!!

Since when has what an OP wants to discuss been relevant to a UKC thread?

And Tim Burton's first Batman movie was obviously the best.
 Babika 06 Dec 2015

Just a thought, but when you're not cragging the love of your life may not want to go out for the evening in a van.

I briefly dated two guys with large.......transits. My heart sank every time they pulled onto the drive in the blasted things.

Roberttaylor 06 Dec 2015

The Christian Bale batman movies are great, obviously. But I have a soft spot for the animated series...it's how I was introduced to Batman and definitely coloured my enjoyment of the films.

OP what is your budget? If low, get small car and sleep in a tent. If middle of the road, get an estate and sleep in that. If 'comfortable' buy a van and kit it out. If money is no object buy houses as close to every crag in the country as possible.
Removed User 06 Dec 2015
In reply to Babika:

What if he arrived in the batmobile?
 Babika 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed User:

I'd be impressed.

But then I'm a closet petrolhead
 Dell 08 Dec 2015
In reply to Babika:

What do you drive then?
 Steve Perry 08 Dec 2015
In reply to Babika:

> I briefly dated two guys with large.......transits. My heart sank every time they pulled onto the drive in the blasted things.

At the same time?

Dark Knight Rises.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...