UKC

Waterproof salopettes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
LakeDistrictMountaineer 02 Dec 2015
Evening all,

I'm after replacing my salopettes for winter climbing and mountaineering.

What do you recommend that is good against the worst British weather can throw at us and also nice and durable?

I'm preferring a bib and braces rather than a pant and ones with a good denier and crampon patches etc.

I'm 6ft3 so ones that fit tall always needed.

Look forward to the replies.

Ad
LakeDistrictMountaineer 03 Dec 2015
Bump

Andy Morley 03 Dec 2015
In reply to adman29:

I swear by my Buffalo shirt - they also make salopettes. They're not waterproof, they work differently. They keep you warm, like a wet-suit if you get wet, but they also dry really quickly. Only thing is - I'm not sure if they still make them.
In reply to Andy Morley:

Thanks for the reply. Really looking for hardshell gtx (or equivalent) type.

I overheat in pile type salopettes.
 guy127917 03 Dec 2015
In reply to adman29:

I just picked up the Arcteryx Theta SV bib with 25% off in a black friday deal, not sure if I would have paid full whack. Haven't tried them in anger yet but I had the same criteria as you.
In reply to guy127917:

Ah....i have looked at them. They are indeed pricey.
 guy127917 03 Dec 2015
In reply to adman29:

Yeah. Can't put a price on dry underwear though eh. Hopefully wont have to replace them for a few seasons.

I'll probably put a crampon through them on day 1.
 GarethSL 03 Dec 2015
In reply to adman29:

I use the Theta SV, very durable salopettes, excellent quality. I find the tall fits me best but I'm only 6' so they may even come up just right or perhaps a little short!

Also be wary as they are pretty tight in the thigh, being far more athletic than other bibs out there.

The other Arc' alternative is the Alpha SV bib but they have a daft zip running through the crotch and up your crack!

It's becoming increasingly difficult to find waterproofs with longer legs, compared to earlier years!
 TobyA 03 Dec 2015
In reply to adman29:

Check the Jöttnar Vanir http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6103 They are really, very good.
 GarethSL 03 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I've been intrigued by these, but the reviews on the Jöttnar website put me off with the complaints about leg length.
 TobyA 03 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

Fair enough, they are a great fit on me though and now come with different internal gaiters. Matt Fuller who knows his stuff also was really pleased with them https://gearandmountains.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/jottnar-vanir-salopettes-... but of course if they don't fit, they don't fit!
 BnB 03 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I had a fondle of those in Needlesports today. I'm not convinced hardshell trous are the ideal wear for ice and mixed but boy those were nice!!
 GarethSL 04 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

They do sound really good and I have been impressed by neoshell! I know Jöttnar is a relatively new company so I'm hoping as their success grows, they will add a range of extra sizes. But for a small company with a small range it cant be expected.
 iksander 04 Dec 2015
In reply to adman29:

I'm 6'3" 34 x34 and found Rab Neoshell large worked well for me, only had them a year of occassional use so can't comment on durability yet but so far so good.
 BnB 04 Dec 2015
In reply to iksander:
The Neoshell Stretch pants haven't survived much more than a year for me. Good thing they were half price from Needlesports. They are wonderfully comfortable but now leak on one knee and at the crotch. I have done a lot of mixed climbing in them though, but then that's what the OP is interested in. There isn't any sign of a hole so I guess the seams would be the likely culprits but the outer fabric is very light, unlike the new Neo Guide pants which are made in a tougher fabric, so that could be a contributing factor.

However, they'll do a lot more days out yet as winter climbing is often less wet than autumn hiking!!
Post edited at 11:45
 Neil Pratt 04 Dec 2015
In reply to adman29:

Another Arcteryx Theta SV user here - mine have survived two fairly hard seasons and are still going strong. I did look at he Alpha SV, but prefer the slightly shorter bib on the Theta; gives decent overlap with modern jackets, without enclosing my chest too much. They do come in long and short leg versions, but they're harder to find than rocking horse poo in my experience.
 iksander 04 Dec 2015
In reply to adman29:

ME Kongur MRT salopette is probably the most burly thing on the market, they do a 33" inside leg- if you can find any...
 spearing05 04 Dec 2015
In reply to adman29:

I'm 6'2 and tried the Jottnars. Beautiful trousers, perfect fit everywhere but the length which was simply too short no matter how much I wanted to believe it wasn't.

I've just brought Berghaus Oktang Bib, fit lovely brilliantly waterproof but I can't comment on how hard-wearing they are yet. Only annoying point it the venting on the leg requires un-zipping from the top when an extra zip runner would allow a gap to be opened mid leg.

£120 from the Berghaus outlet store in Bridgend, dunno if they do mail order though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...