UKC

Independent ski holiday help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 05 Dec 2015
Hi,

Has anyone organised a ski holiday by themselves and managed to organise childcare as well? Anywhere but specifically Norway.

Would love to hear from people and or recommendations.

Lynsey.
 Dogwatch 07 Dec 2015
Try asking on Snowheads.
 Hannah V 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

hi Lynsey, where in Norway were you thinking to have a ski holiday? I live in Tromsø and am quite familiar with the local mountains so get in touch if you need any tips! Don't know about childcare though!
Hannah
 wbo 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Lynsety: mum yes, and what sort of skiing? I'm in S Norway but have a friend who might be able to organise something

HeMa 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

Hi,

For childcare, I assume your talking about resorts.

Most resorts in Europe do offer some sorts of child care stuff... ranging from kiddie lessons to full service child day care.

If you're thinkin' about certain resorts, best to view their webpage and see whats up. SkiStar us a rather big "chain" that operates in many resorts in Scandinavia. And I'm almost certain that at least on some locales full international child day care is offered.

The classic way of dealin' this issue, how ever is to go in a group big enough (say a few families with kids or lug along the grandparents) and take turns to watch the kids. Interhome and also resorts directly rent out bigger cabins (especially in Norway).
 summo 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Lynsety:
It really depends on their ages, most childcare, as in slope side dagis/nursery is aimed at the youngest as by the time people kids are 8 or 9 they will ski most of the mountain and all resorts have dedicated kids ski areas, easier tows, travelators etc..

Hafjell has a creche at the bottom near the beginners zone. Kvitfjell and skeikampen I've never seen anything, but they have kids ski areas.
Salen, especially Lindvallen is very kids orientated. Not sure on Are or Hemsedal though as I've never paid attention or been there with our kids yet, but skistar websites are in English too.

The biggest thing is sking tends to be a family activity, free passes for under 6s with helmets in 99% of places etc.. the adults fit their slope time around the kids, evening floodlight sessions and many bigger places often run a couple of lifts from 7am.

All will have English speaking instructors for kids. Things to consider, weeks 7-9 will be spring half term, varying on councils, you will struggle to get booked now for then. Youth Olympics mid feb in Lillehammer valley. Plus the last weekend of feb through to first week of march cross country ski races everyday starting near Salen. Plus a few other big events at other resorts, Are is the fall back resort for alpine events if the alps has a poor snow season.

EDIT - I tried to spell the places properly, but the website keeps turn them back to gibberish, so Are and Salen need different 'a's.

One other thing to consider is the cold if you bringing little ones, depending on the winter it can be a little bitter at times. The bonus though is lift queues are absolutely minimal and there are very very few idiots on the slopes. People go to ski, not party.
Post edited at 20:31
OP Lynsety 12 Dec 2015
In reply to wbo:

Hi,

To be honest we're open to doing any skiing really. Got downhill skis, nordic skis and setup for touring as well but we're restricted by the childcare and two little people (one is coming up to four and my little boy is coming up to two) so basically its probably downhill and a bit of nordic skiing that fits in timewise with them. We're in Aberdeen and can get direct flights to Stavanger and Bergen so ideally the ski areas that we can get to from those cities.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lynsey.
OP Lynsety 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Hannah V:

Hi Hannah,

We're a bit restricted to flying direct from Aberdeen to Stavanger and Bergen as can't be bothered with long flights with two kids but would love to go further North but suspect that might be in a few years to come and when the kids get older.

Are there many resorts up there? I'd really love to explore up there!
OP Lynsety 12 Dec 2015
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks for the skistar, hadn't found them and looks good! Yeah I think we're talking resorts really, the coming up to 4 and 2
OP Lynsety 12 Dec 2015
In reply to summo:

Thanks thats really helpful
 summo 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

Bergen/stavanger are not the best places to start from. There are very small ski places near there, but not enough for holiday or justifying the flight costs etc..

So you'll be faced with a bit of drive, which is fine, but if you aren't used to winter driving on winter tyres etc it will take you longer than the natives to head west/north.

Better to do the drive in the UK, any Oslo gardeomoen (spelling) flights from Glasgow or Edinburgh? Beware the other and cheaper Oslo airport is around an hour south of Oslo.
 Doug 12 Dec 2015
In reply to summo:

I've only really toured in Norway but isn't there anywhere along the Bergen-Oslo railway line ? And maybe it doesn't run any more but there used to be a Bergen - Opdal bus (but quite a long journey, especially with young kids)
 summo 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Doug:
There are what you would call local slopes for local people, a few runs around a km or so. One or two lifts etc.. in many places, there is one not far from rjukan, but I would not travel and fly to any of these. Perhaps others know of some hidden gem. If you want some choice of slopes, things for kids then you need larger resorts and the facilities of a town. Lillehammer for example, or rather hafjell, it has a creche, but also right next to it there is one of those indoor kids play places. The parents could do shifts and get some skiing in.

Edit, there is a ski bus from Oslo and Oslo airport to Trysil.
Post edited at 11:59
 TheGeneralist 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

Isn't there reasonable skiing at Voss, which is near Bergen?
 summo 12 Dec 2015
In reply to TheGeneralist:

> Isn't there reasonable skiing at Voss, which is near Bergen?

Not really that big a resort compared to others in norway and not so many runs for novices.but its closeish. Ok for a long weekend if you don't need to stick to green runs.
 wbo 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Lynsety:
Hmm, many people seem quite happy with Voss. So it is back to the OP to look at some options and pick the best one depending on what they want. If they wanted some toppturs&touring then there are good options around.
 arctickev 14 Dec 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

Ernalow are pretty good for "pseudo self arranged"

Worth a call i'd say

kev
 Hannah V 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Lynsety:

Yeah its a shame there aren't direct flights from Tromsø to Aberdeen. I've flown to/from Aberdeen a few years ago before but I think I may have had to change plane at Oslo or some other airport in Norway, can't remember now. Definitely recommend coming up here for touring when you have the opportunity!
Nearest "resort" is maybe Målselv Fjellandsby or maybe at Narvik? There is a ski slope in Tromsø but it has one lift I don't really do resort skiing so am not the best person to ask!
Hope you manage to find somewhere good to ski which has everything you need

Hannah

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...