UKC

northumberland bunkhouses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PeteWilson 05 Dec 2015
Hi All, I'm thinking of heading up to Northumberland for climbing next weekend for a quick foray, been several times before but always camped. Given the time of year I'm thinking it may be a good idea to find a bunkhouse/camping barn or something similar as there may be several of us to make the evenings more pleasant. Has anyone got any suggestions as to good accommodation they would recommend?

cheers,
Pete
 pass and peak 06 Dec 2015
In reply to PeteWilson:

Just wondering what your going to be climbing? The sandstone's all soaking wet through and likely to stay that way till spring! Could top rope I suppose! As for bunkhouses there's Tomlinsons in Rothbury, but bound to be many others!
 JDal 06 Dec 2015
In reply to pass and peak:

> Just wondering what your going to be climbing? The sandstone's all soaking wet through and likely to stay that way till spring! Could top rope I suppose! ....
NO!!!!! Can't think of any worse way to treat sandstone than to top-rope on it when it's wet. Maybe that's what happened to that hold on Poseidon.

Was up at Bowden/Back Bowden last Thursday, not climbing, and they were soaking with water running down everywhere where water has ever run down. Looking at the forecast I reckon they'll be in the same state next weekend.
OP PeteWilson 06 Dec 2015
In reply to pass and peak:

Well climbing was the main idea, hadn't looked at long range forecast, there's always kyloe-in as a wet weather option. But if everything is wet then theres always just walking and things, Northumberland is a great place to get away and relax!

Cheers for the advice
In reply to PeteWilson:
I can recommend bluebell farm bunkhouse in belford. Very handy for crags and walking.
 stouffer 07 Dec 2015
In reply to PeteWilson:

Mounthooly is top for hills and remoteness factor.
 Lemony 07 Dec 2015
In reply to PeteWilson:

> kyloe-in as a wet weather option.

Kyloe stays dry when it's raining but 90% of it suffers almost as badly as anywhere else in the county if it's been wet.
OP PeteWilson 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Lemony:

10% is better than nothing! forecast this weekend looks decent anyhows!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...