UKC

New uses for recycling feather and down?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Have acquired three duck feather pillows and a feather and down duvet. All been cleaned and appear in good condition. Personally don't need them as they are, so what can I do with them otherwise?

One option is give to charity - if any of them take these nowadays - or give away on gumtree, etc, if a charity doesn't want.

But, I have been thinking could I actually make something with them. Apart from floor/settee cushions (or a pet bed if I actually had a pet!) can't think of practical uses! Anyone done something in the past and can offer ideas?

Maybe it's not worth the hassle as I guess handling the loose feathers and down is not easy, but if I get some inspiring idea, I may well try it.
 marsbar 06 Dec 2015
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

From what I've read if you want to make a jacket or sleeping bag, the best way is to wet the down and then dry the finished article so you don't end up with it everywhere.
 Timmd 06 Dec 2015
Make sure you wear a mask if handling the feathers, better an annoying mask than a trip to A+E from breathing in a tiny one.

I'll buy the duvet if you don't want it?

There used to be a couple in the family made by my grandma, but they disappeared somewhere along the line, I used to find them cosy.
Post edited at 16:59
Lusk 06 Dec 2015

Nail the duvet to the inside of your front door.
It'll provide some welcome insulation for when the weather turns decidedly chilly.
In reply to marsbar and Timmd:
Thanks, sounds excellent advice. Would never have thought about wetting first.

Sleeping bag - that's a possibility. One for those basic bunkhouses that don't supply anything, or for car camping.
Timmd I'll explore options for using first, but will bear you in mind if I decide against using.
In reply to Lusk:
If I stayed in the house I was in as a child, that would have been a use. There again, I could have done with several layered up on my bed back then for the winter!! No heating at all in bedrooms, nor double glazing back then. Fortunately my current house is modern and has good door sealing.
 aln 06 Dec 2015

Wait till early spring then open them up and give the contents back to the ducks for their nests.
In reply to aln:
That's an interesting option. I've a local RSPB reserve nearby so could see what they think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...