UKC

Bike hand pumps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamButty 06 Dec 2015
Schoolboy error today. Knew my handpump wasn't the best, but never really tried it in anger, until I had a puncture 5K from the car on my MB. Gave up trying to get air in it and went for the long push home.
So new Xmas pressie is beckoning - can anyone recommend a good quality hand pump at a not too stupid price, although I'm willing to pay a bit more this time.....Don't know if you can get a dual one for sch/presta or its better to get seperate one.
Any advice greatly received.

Cheers
 london_huddy 06 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:
I've got a cheepo £15 job from my local bike shop that works nicely for both valve types and which actually works and doesn't weigh a ton - it's a Smart JetG Airace

Post edited at 21:30
 IPPurewater 06 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

I have one of these http://www.wiggle.com/topeak-road-morph-with-gauge/

It fits both types of valve and can be used with the base on the ground too. I think this is an excellent pump.

I also have one of these
http://www.wiggle.com/topeak-race-rocket-mt-master-blaster-mtb-pump/

but find it very hard to pump up the hybrid's tyres with this one. It is ok for MTB pressures though.
 veteye 06 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:
I've got a Lezyne which says "pressure drive" on the side-so presumably that is the model.Actually have just looked and it also says "ABS Flex Hose".
I like it as it is small and neat and light(~23cm/9"long.) It has a reversible connector so can be used for both sorts of valve. I suspect that the downside is that it probably costs a fair amount(I cannot remember the price I paid,but I know I got something knocked off as part of a composite buy.) You could look it up, but it is better to have a pump that you are happy with and which works than paying less for something that is less functional.
Rob
Post edited at 22:08
 Aly 06 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:
Another vote for Lezyne. Pressure drive is great, can get you up to about 100psi and small enough for a jersey pocket. If you only MTB then one of the larger ones might be more efficient for MTB tyres.
 Dan Arkle 06 Dec 2015
In reply to veteye:

I looked into this last year and got a Topeak Mountain Morph.

Good volume, its got a foot spur so you can use it like a track pump. Bigger than many, but when its wet and cold I just want to get some air in!
In reply to JamButty: agree with Dan. Top Peak Mountain Morph is fantastic.

elsewhere 06 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:
I think my top peak pump is the mini morph.

It's a bit too mini so get something bigger.
 LastBoyScout 07 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Blackburn - think it's a Mountain Air. Great little pump.
 gethin_allen 07 Dec 2015
In reply to elsewhere:

I have a mini morph and it's plenty big enough to get reasonable pressure in my road tyres but it would take a while to pump up a fat mtb tyre. I find the valve connection to be a bit rubbish, it leaks less if I just hold it on rather than use the little locking lever.
 The Potato 07 Dec 2015
In reply to london_huddy:

£15 isn't a cheapo pump!

I've had a wrench force dual pump for about 12 years and it's just dying now I've been looking at lezyne too they do a hv or hp for volume or pressure
Rigid Raider 07 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Time and time again in 21 years of mountain biking when other riders' fancy pumps failed it was my £1.75 plastic Bluemells pump that did the job. A short version just fitted inside my backpack and I carried connectors for Presta and Schraeder valves.

Nowadays as a roadie I don't carry a pump, just two CO2 cyclinders and a dispenser.
 sleavesley 07 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Another vote for Lezeyne due to the pressures it can get.
Also carry co2 canisters with dispenser.
 EddInaBox 07 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

I have had one of these for at least 15 years, although it was branded differently:
http://www.giyo.com.tw/web/02mini/GP-01.htm

It was cheap as anything and can fit Schrader or Presta valves, although switching is a little cumbersome since one has to unscrew the front of the head and reverse the bits inside. The really smart thing about it is the double barrel system, using the thumb lever one can opt to use both barrels to shift a relatively high volume of air, but moving the lever to the second position isolates one barrel so that you can achieve a significantly higher pressure, I typically go to about 80 p.s.i. with no problem, could certainly get to at least 100. The big downside is I bought it in a bike shop in London but have never seen another, I'll be decidedly discombobulated when it finally dies, has anyone ever seen one, I would like to get another in readiness?
 AymanC 07 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:
I have a Race Rocket. Very happy so far (2 years) with the quality and ease of use.

It's got a neat dual presta/schrader valve on the end of a short hose which I think is much better than the fixed ones.
It's very compact. Quite fast.
Post edited at 20:27
 Indy 07 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:
Have been really impressed with the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP Pump. Don't let the floor thing fool you as its only 30cm long but good for 160psi. Can be used asa foot pump and by hand. You really should check it out as its my go to pump.
Post edited at 21:05
 andy_e 07 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Another vote for the Lezyne High Pressure Drive (Mini). Don't let it's small size fool you, presta and schrader attachments on the flexible house. Makes it easy to use and can pump up to 100psi no problem. Maybe a little slow to inflate mountain bike tires due to their larger volume. But you never really go more then 40psi anyway, so same difference i suppose! can be had for £16 ish.
 IMA 07 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

check out pumps with co2 attachments. Saves lots of time and effort on those cold wet days (other days too but those are the worst)

I use larger cartridges for MB (16 rather than 12) Price is approx £20 IRC
Grim 08 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:
Anyone tried servicing their ailing pumps? My Topeak mini dual was running out of puff, so just opened it up and re-lubed... job done!
Post edited at 08:13
Grim 08 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Re-reading this, I realise that it sounds like a Viz top tip!
cb294 08 Dec 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

+1 for the Blackburn. I have a short pump with a wide aluminium piston and a switch for two way / high pressure pumping action.

Best pump I ever owned.

CB
cb294 08 Dec 2015
In reply to cb294:

Blackburn Mammoth 2-Stage.

CB
 Timmd 08 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:
I've got a Decathlon one with the flip out lever to secure the pump head onto the valve, it can pump up mtb and road tyres quickly enough when it's cold or I'm commuting and in a rush, and it was around £10.

I only use it on presta valves, but I can't find anything to fault it with, other than it's a little large to fit into a saddle bag, meaning a touring sized one is needed.
Post edited at 14:30
 Baron Weasel 08 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

+1 for road morph. Small enough to carry everywhere, easy to get good pressure, fits both valves and has a pressure gauge.
 stewart murray 08 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Mountain bike tyres inflate best with a low pressure high volume pump, whereas a high pressure, low volume works best for road tyres.
OP JamButty 08 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Thanks all, just ordered the Topeak Mountain one, plus some C02 cylinders. I'll see how I get on....
 The Potato 08 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:
Don't know if its already been mentioned but some tubeless sealants don't work with co2

betamonkey 09 Dec 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I second the Blackburn Mountain Air pump - had mine about 4 years and still going strong
 RR 10 Dec 2015
In reply to JamButty:

Have the ROAD MORPH TOPEAK. The design convinced me to buy it. Foot stand and pressure indicator. Never used it since Swalbe tires last easy 5 K kilometers or longer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...