UKC

An Alternative to HS2 by Railway Engineers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 06 Dec 2015

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/hs2-alternative-high-sp...

Given the face that meetings can be (and are increasingly) held via the internet, and that we don't know how communication technology is going to progress, on the face of it this seems like quite a sensible alternative to HS2, in being cheaper, and perhaps less environmentally damaging too.
OP Timmd 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Face? I mean fact.
Lusk 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I say build it. Our Victorian rail network needs updating.
What's £55B over 10 years? Just stick it on the £1.5TRILLION debt
OP Timmd 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Lusk:
It has wider scope and (I think) seems more useful because of that than HS2.
Post edited at 00:52
 ByEek 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Hmmmm - it is really sad that I am so cynical these days, but who is this team of railway engineers? I am not sure a group of people with a pram and a tractor are portraying the right image. We need bearded men with elbow patches to give an authoritative and viable alternative on such a large and complex project.

Nice idea though.
 petellis 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Its a nice idea, but the reality is they should be doing both!
 krikoman 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Since HS2 is supposedly to increase capacity, I propose we take a leaf out of the Swiss rail book.
They went for double decker trains, there by doubling their capacity, tunnels and bridges were raised or the track lowered in some places, much of it through rock. While I realise this might be a difficult job and it's sometimes harder to work in mediums that aren't rock surely it's not beyond our engineering skills to do the same.

The work was carried out over night mainly and disruption to the existing system was minimal, as far as I know.

Getting to Manchester 30 minutes earlier isn't going to make that much difference to anyone, being able to get there at a time that suits you is much better.
 ianstevens 07 Dec 2015
In reply to Lusk:

> I say build it. Our Victorian rail network needs updating.

> What's £55B over 10 years? Just stick it on the £1.5TRILLION debt

About a third of renewing trident. So if we sack that in (and we should) then we can have HS3,4 and 5 as well. Fewer people will drive up and down the country. Everyone is happy, excluding those who think we need a nuclear deterrent.
OP Timmd 07 Dec 2015
In reply to ByEek:

> Hmmmm - it is really sad that I am so cynical these days, but who is this team of railway engineers? I am not sure a group of people with a pram and a tractor are portraying the right image. We need bearded men with elbow patches to give an authoritative and viable alternative on such a large and complex project.

> Nice idea though.

It may be a lack of sleep on my part, so apologies just in case, but this post makes no sense to me at all.
OP Timmd 07 Dec 2015
In reply to ByEek:
> Hmmmm - it is really sad that I am so cynical these days, but who is this team of railway engineers? I am not sure a group of people with a pram and a tractor are portraying the right image. We need bearded men with elbow patches to give an authoritative and viable alternative on such a large and complex project.

> Nice idea though.

It may be a lack of sleep on my part, so apologies just in case, but this post makes no sense to me at all. Pardon?
Post edited at 13:51
 ByEek 08 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Fair dos. I was off on one. My point was why should we take a group of anonymous railway engineers (???) seriously? There is no link to their plans, no names and only a vague outline of what the plan is. It seems to be a news article about hot air.
 d_b 08 Dec 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Totally impractical I'm afraid.

In this country it is impossible to get government support for a project unless the right people are allowed to skim vast amounts of money during the construction phase and then live on taxpayer subsidies forever.

If there are no directorships for ex ministers and civil servants at the end of play then forget it.
 drunken monkey 08 Dec 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Maybe we could sell it off to the Chinese....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...