UKC

Recommend me a windproof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramblin dave 07 Dec 2015
Hi all!

I'm thinking of asking Santa for a new windproof jacket this year, and it'd be good to get some suggestions for which one to get.

I'm mostly planning to use it as an outer layer for hillwalking when it's not raining - worn over a baselayer in spring and autumn or a fleece on dry, cold winter days. I like being able to regulate my temperature on the go by undoing zips, rolling up sleeves, putting on gloves and so on. Hence the basic requirements are:
* full length zip
* couple of pockets (for hat, gloves etc)
* hood
* loose enough wrists to roll the arms up
* probably just pertex (or equivalent), no warm lining or extra insulation
* as light as possible given all the above.

I've currently got a Lowe Alpine Lithium which I'll probably still use for climbing, but it fails against most of the above criteria and hence isn't idea for long walking days. And I used to have a Rab Cirrus, which was more or less ideal, but one too many gritstone chimneys finally did for it and they don't seem to make them any more.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Rab Zephyr?
Full zip version of the boreas (which I'd recommend to anyone, for anything).
Good review here: scottishmountaineer.com/rab-zephyr/

It completely fails on at least three of your specific criteria but I currently use a RAB Boreas for most of the situations you describe and find it suberb in all but the windiest conditions.

In summer I wear it over a merino T-shirt for the bulk of my climbing. On Saturday I wore it over a RAB AL long-sleeved base layer whilst climbing at Winspit in cool, windy conditions and in Scotland in Winter I regularly wear it for walk-ins over either the AL or more commonly my warmer RAB Baseline Hoody.

It probably isn't ideal for long days of Winter hillwalking on exposed summits but for general 3 season use and fast-moving walk-ins to Winter crags I find it ideal and more versatile and comfortable than a traditional windshirt. The RAB SWS (single weave softshell) fabric also probably less susceptible to damage from Gritstone chimneys etc. than pertex.

The lack of pockets for hat/gloves is a minor inconvenience but a hooded baselayer solves the hat issue and liner gloves generally fit in my trouser pockets.

It might not suit you, but for me it has greatly increased the clothing options I have available.

PS had completely forgotten about the full-zip version mentioned by George!
Post edited at 13:56
 PPP 07 Dec 2015
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Or Mountain Equipment Squall if you feel rich. I got both and they do their job very well. I don't like the feel of the plastic windproof material.
Lusk 07 Dec 2015
In reply to George Killaspy:

Looks/sounds good.
I don't mind looking like a gimp in the hills!
 JoeyTheFish 07 Dec 2015

The replacement to the Rab Cirrus is the Windveil - effectively the same thing but with a new SUPER(!!!) dwr which apparently lasts 100 washes...

Be careful with some of the jackets you've been reccomended - both the ME Squall and the Rab Boreas are not fully wind proof - only highly wind resistant. When it's blowing a hoolie and you are wearing it over a base layer it makes a difference!
 galpinos 07 Dec 2015

Arc'Teryx Squamish - Gucci cost but nearly always in the sale in last years colours. Best cut windshell I've ever had and the fabric is less "sweaty" than standard pertex. I've worn mine climbing, running, ski touring, general use etc. It fails on your pocket requirements though (as will all true windshirts imho)

I also have an ME Squall. If you we after something for climbing I'd say the Squall as it's a bit burlier then a standard windshell (they tend to tear when climbing) and it's not as slippy when chimneying/thrutching etc when a bit more jacket/rock friction is required. However, for walking, a proper light windshell is better imho.
 BnB 07 Dec 2015
In reply to galpinos:

Completely agree, not just about the Squamish which performs beyond the highest expectations, but also about maybe using something burlier for rock, although my Squamish has withstood thrutching very resiliently. I have the Arcteryx equivalent of the Squall, the Psiphon (and cheaper too). But it isn't nearly as comfortable as the Squamish when you're working hard and need to dump heat.

The Squamish seems to be the only windshirt with tabs instead of elasticated sleeves (you get what you pay for) and this helps keep you cool or indeed sealed from the elements depending on your needs.
 AlanLittle 07 Dec 2015
In reply to galpinos:

Another option for more breathable and more robust than pertex might be the Black Diamond Alpine Start. Is available in a full zip with hood. I have the similar but slightly heavier BDV jacket and find it perfect for climbing.

Otherwise, the Montane Lite Speed looks to match most of the spec. Pertex, hood, full zip etc. I have an older version that only has one pocket - plenty large enough though - but the current one appears to have two. Cuffs are a bit too tight to roll up though.
 Dave the Rave 07 Dec 2015

Paramo Fuera Ascent?
 galpinos 07 Dec 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:

The alpine start is like the ME squall, nice, but ultimately as good as a light simple windshirt?
 John Kelly 07 Dec 2015
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/raincut-mens-waterproof-jacket-blue-id_8300325.html

Surprisingly versatile and very cheap
Post edited at 20:39
 mp3ferret 07 Dec 2015

Another vote for the Paramo fuera ascent. I've never really been a fan of Paramo - but this jacket is great. Fulfills all of your criteria - I think.
 JayPee630 07 Dec 2015
I have two such items that I use:

Marmot Trail Wind hoody. Very light pertex, full zip, very light thing.
Mountain Equipment Frontier hoody. Burlier, heavier, more what people call a non-membrane softshell.

Use the first in the spring/summer, and the later for the same type of thing in the autumn/winter.

If I was to replace the first (which is more what you're asking for) I'd go for a Rab Windveil, Arc'teryx Squamish, or a Montane Lightspeed.
Post edited at 20:52
 bouldery bits 07 Dec 2015

https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothing/windproof/lite-speed-jacket

Fits the bill. I have not owned though so no personal experience!
 galpinos 07 Dec 2015

A lot of people are recommending pertex jackets. The reason the Squamish stands out is the fabric is a LOT nicer than pertex (both microlight and quantum) which means you can wear it against the skin. It's also far less "rustley".
OP Ramblin dave 08 Dec 2015

Thanks everyone!

FWIW, I'm pretty happy with pertex since I'm looking for something to wear over at least a baselayer anyway. Although the Squamish does look very nice. In any case, that's enough suggestions for me to go and look into stuff in more detail, so thanks again!
 flaneur 09 Dec 2015

Anyone here used or tried on a PhD windshirt?

I like smock designs. I like buying from UK manufacturers, so this could be a contender. I'm an 'athletic' climber shape and will be usually wearing this over just a thermal or thin fleece. I'm concerned PhD stuff can sometimes be a bit 'boxy' in shape.
 tony 09 Dec 2015
In reply to flaneur:

If you like UK manufacturers, you might like to try Cioch Direct. They do a smock windshirt:
http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/windproofs/windshirt.html

I haven't tried that one, but I do have their Marsco smock, which I really like. One advantage of Cioch is that you can have items customised, so for example, I like a long back to my tops, so I was able to specify this when I bought it. Of course, it does help to be able to try things on so you can decide what to customise, and they don't have any UK outlets (that I know of) apart from their shop in Struan.
 flaneur 09 Dec 2015
In reply to tony:

Good idea. I've driven past their place in Struan, not likely to be there in the imminent future, but any excuse to visit Skye! Its 250g and not really the Montane/Arc'teryx/PhD ~100g category, which is more what I'm after.
 AymanC 09 Dec 2015

Squamish owners-
Anyone tried folding the hood away for cycling?
I want a windproof for climbing and cycling ideally.
 BnB 09 Dec 2015
In reply to AymanC:

The hood doesn't fold away with a press stud or similar but you can tuck it under quite neatly. Or buy the hoodless jacket instead/as well. Arcteryx have covered all the angles.
 galpinos 09 Dec 2015
In reply to AymanC:

I just push it back down my neck with it unzipped then zip it up if I want to get rid of the hood when running. Having said that, I hate jackets without hoods and don’t mind a hood flopping around so I’m not the best person to ask.
 AymanC 10 Dec 2015
In reply to BnB:

Thanks guys.
I actually managed to find one locally. The hood is amazing... never seen something so simple that hugs the face with one draw string so well.
It also folds away very neatly when zipped all the way up. I balked at the fluro green, though admittedly it looks better in the flesh.
The fabric really does stand out compared to others on the windshirt rack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...