UKC

Noise cancelling headphones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 07 Dec 2015
I've never tried any before however I am thinking of some for Crimbo.

I very much would appreciate advice on what to look for and any recommendations of headphones to buy.

I just want to listen to music while walking the dog. Do I go in ear or over ear headphones?

Cheers muchly
 Timmd 07 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
Pardon?

I find my Dad's Bose ones are very snug and all encompassing feeling in how they cancel out outside noise, it's quite pleasant feeling.
Post edited at 19:32
 Philip 07 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

> I've never tried any before however I am thinking of some for Crimbo.

> I very much would appreciate advice on what to look for and any recommendations of headphones to buy.

> I just want to listen to music while walking the dog. Do I go in ear or over ear headphones?

> Cheers muchly

No use for that. They only really work for constant low frequency background noise.

I have a pair of JVC noise-cancelling and use them when flying. At night they help remove a little of the engine noise so I can fall asleep with music or a film without having the volume too high. I imagine during the day on flights or in economy there variable background noise of other people would make the noise cancelling useless. Not sure any value if out walking.

But Bluetooth headphones are much nicer for walking with music than having a nagging wire run down your shirt.
m0unt41n 07 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Have tried various types over the years when doing regular long haul business flights.

Only ones that totally shut out airplane noise are ones that completely cover the ear, not just rest on top.
Of these the Bose were the best which I now use.

Tried in ear ones which work well if pushed right into the ear but never found any that were comfortable and couldn't really find a way of easily sorting out earwax / blockage or the earpiece.

Noise cancelling ones exert an air pressure onto your ear and its noticeable. Since they are pumping out the inverse of the background noise continuously as well as the signal you want to listen to.

Have tried ordinary headphones and a battery powered amplifier but not that successful.

However unless you are taking the dog for a trip along a city road or airport the background noise may well be a lot less than in a plane which is surprisingly loud. So you may well find a comfortable pair of Bluetooth headphones best.

ceri 07 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

"Just thought I'd update this on a summer's evening listening to the sparrows chirping away around me while I'm sat in my little arbour"

When you're walking the dog why not listen to the birds? I find being away from artificial noise one of the bonuses of dog walking
OP The Lemming 07 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Hi chaps. I take it from your replies that I am asking for the moon on a stick with my expectations of what noise cancelling headphones are capable of when out an about?

I have a very nice pair of audio technica ATH ES7, which are wired. If I went Bluetooth, what could I get that was equal in sound quality or better than these?

http://www.whathifi.com/audio-technica/ath-es7/review
 obi-wan nick b 07 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
+1 Bose - go find a shop and try them; brill on planes and at the airport. Not tried them out and about would be too afraid of getting runover
 robbo157 07 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I got a pair of bose QC25's - expensive but I fly a lot so can justify them to the missus.
Amazing sound - good warranty which I have had to use - getting crackling fro the noise cancelling ear. So pays yer money and takes you choice 8-)
 Fraser 07 Dec 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
I've tried the expensive >£300 Bose ones and although they're good, they're no better acoustically than the 7dayshop pair I went for at £29. They are however much more comfortable. For flights both are excellent at eliminating engine noise, but both also let through the treble, so you can still hear people talking.

I'd have thought for just walking the dog, small is good and the acoustics won't matter that much.
Post edited at 22:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...