UKC

Advice on cheap B1 boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hikerpike 09 Dec 2015

Hi , I'm wanting or looking for some cheap b1 crampon-compatible boots.Light-weight is much preferred and any really good deals.I tend to like a roomy fit too so probably wide-fit if there's an option there.Nothing worse than a boot too narrow to fit. Or too short. Size 11 UK for scottish winter climbing/mountaineering.Leather or synthetic though probably synthetic as they might be comfier and less rigid.

I'm looking for a specific model for example to suggest
or ones I can be looking at- i.e pointers, examples. My budget is around maximum of £140 though the cheaper the better, as just getting started.So b2 would consider but probably not required.I look online but it does'nt always say- 'takes crampons'.
Post edited at 05:06
 Siward 09 Dec 2015
In reply to hikerpike:

There is a pair of berghaus kibos on 'preloved' at the moment from a seller in Edinburgh. Your size.
 nathan79 09 Dec 2015
In reply to hikerpike:

Salewa Rapace can be had around that price range. Nice light B1s, never had crampons on mine though so can't speak of their performance with them on.
 crustypunkuk 09 Dec 2015
In reply to nathan79:

They work fine with crampons. They're not exactly suitable for front pointing up vertical gullies, but I've used mine for general winter Munro bashing and ridge walking and have had no problems. A proper do everything boot I reckon!
hikerpike 09 Dec 2015
In reply to hikerpike:

Thanks.

Can you use C2 crampons on these Salewa Rapace Boots at a push or would they lack enough rigidity?

.Could I just about get away with that?. I've noticed they have what looks like a heel clasp on them for heavy dutier crampons.
 Dave the Rave 09 Dec 2015
In reply to hikerpike:

> Thanks.

> Can you use C2 crampons on these Salewa Rapace Boots at a push or would they lack enough rigidity?

> .Could I just about get away with that?. I've noticed they have what looks like a heel clasp on them for heavy dutier crampons.

If you're using B1 bendy boots, then look at Kahtoola crampons. You can fit these on most footwear. They are strap on.
They don't have front points so you won't be front pointing, but they are good for our mixed conditions when you only need a crampon for certain sections of a walk.
 crustypunkuk 09 Dec 2015
In reply to hikerpike:
Aye, they do have a heel welt, and theoretically they'd take a c2 crampon but in reality they won't be much use for anything too technical. I'd imagine theyd be fine with a flexi bar for general stuff though. I've only ever used a c1 crampon on them and that's worked fine for me. I'd suggest it would certainly be enough to start with until you decide if you want to keep at it and splash out on the full winter shebang.
In reply to hikerpike:

What are you planning to do? If it's just winter walking i would go with the Salewa one suggested above.
If walking/climbing I'd suggest you put a wanted post on for a pair of sportiva Nepals on here. People are always selling them and you'll get a decent second hand pair potentially for £140.

I bought an old pair a couple of years ago on here for £100 and they were in great nick, they were too big though 😢.
hikerpike 06 Jan 2016
In reply to hikerpike:
Hi, I am looking at the La Sportiva Nepal Cube Gtx.

The shoe size I normally go for is a UK 11.

If I ordered a pair what size could I go for or consider?

http://www.sportiva.com/about/technology/sizing-boots-shoes
Post edited at 20:36
 PPP 06 Jan 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

Where can you find Nepal Cubes for £140?! I want that website ASAP.

I would get something that takes a good bashing and avoid lightweight boots for first pair. I got La Sportiva Nepal Extreme (got them for £90 and I reckon they have been used couple of times if at all!) and while they are heavy, I don't think they will give away any time soon. A bit of overkill for your needs, but I have done 96 miles in 3 days in B1 boots, so I am probably used to heavy boots.
hikerpike 06 Jan 2016
In reply to PPP:
Question is what is a approx.or definitive
E.U sizing for la sportiva nepal series you might suggest for some like me who has normally gone for 11 in UK shoe size?

There is a hint in that link I posted but when you compare shoe size conversion charts online for US/UK/Japanese/EU there appears no apparent standardisation from what i am discerning. I.E Some i saw said different things...This could be down to things like manufacturer of boot etc.

All the charts I saw were not identical.A metre is 100 cm....lol
Post edited at 22:50
hikerpike 07 Jan 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

What is the US equivalent of UK11?
 Andypeak 07 Jan 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

Simond alpanism boots from decathlon are good but they only so full euro sizes so dont fit eveveryone. Think they are £120
 ianstevens 07 Jan 2016
In reply to hikerpike:

Just go to a shop and try some on rather than gussing at online size conversions. La Sportiva tend to size up in an odd manner anyway. They're made in EU sizes, so try them in EU sizes.
 AndydHart 07 Jan 2016
In reply to hikerpike:
I love my Nepal cubes- I'm pretty sure that I got them in a 47- I'm often anywhere between and 11 and a 12. They are quite a bit different from the b1s that you originally requested though.

It might be worth getting into a store for a boot fit- many companies will also price match if you have found them cheaper else where.
Post edited at 13:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...