UKC

Kong Panic System rigid quickdraws

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cragtyke 10 Dec 2015
http://www.kong.it/en/2-products/items/f38-aid-climbing/p420-panic

Has anybody seen or used these anywhere? They look like they could be quite useful for reachy clips, a solid gate might have been better though.
In reply to cragtyke:

i have a frog which is a small version of it and barely use or carry it and can't think of a time I have needed it. Seen quite a few people carrying the big ones but seems like more hassle than just climbing through the scary bit plus they are long. Seen some homemade ones with a long sling and duck tape.
 AlanLittle 10 Dec 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

I have one, find it useful sometimes. My wife asked me why I did't immediately buy ten of them.
cb294 10 Dec 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

I have one, indeed very useful for reachy clips. Solid gate wouldn´t work, the carabiner has an internal, spring loaded trap that holds the wire gate in the open position, such that it will snap shut when the carabiner is clipped.

Always make sure you clip it carefully to your harness. I made the mistake of clipping my panic draw to the back of my harness, and managed to back clip my rope. Generated massive, pulley like rope drag and so much slack that I would have decked on the ledge from which I launched into the exit overhang of the route.

CB
Removed User 10 Dec 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

I bought one after I saw a friend use one. They are useful on some routes where the bolts are spaced. I wish that I had bought one previously as I have had some epics when trying to clip bolts just a few inches beyond my reach. You will not use one all of the time but will be grateful when you do actually need it.
They are really well made.
 pebbles 10 Dec 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

I'v got a slightly different version of one of these - I was clued into them by a 5'1" climbing partner who found them really useful for times when the bolt 'before' a hard move can only be clipped after the move by smaller people
 GridNorth 10 Dec 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

I made one with a 30cm sling threaded through soft plastic tubing with a karabiner that has a clip to hold the gate open which releases on contact with the bolt. The advantage is that I can also thread this onto the end of a clip stick that I made out of tent poles.

Al
 woppo 10 Dec 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

got one, great to use. replace with a normal draw as you go past for later use if required on same route
cb294 10 Dec 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

Very easy to make a clip stick from a panic draw. Just fix it to any tent pole, tree branch, whatever, using two rubber bands looped around the end so that they fall off when you pull on the stick after clipping.

CB
Also see http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=626211 from fairly recently, again people being positive and more links to retailers.
 jon 10 Dec 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

Yes, got two of them - it's best to have two because if you really need to use them for a delicate clip then they must be available to both hands. It's also best to replace it with a normal draw as you climb past (as someone said) - not only so you can re-use it obviously but because as the bolt end krab is captive in the draw it can move to cross loading situation in the bolt as you move past it and get jammed there. There was a thread on C2C about this, citing an instance where the krab snapped in the event of a fall due to being jammed in the bolt in a bad orientation. Used correctly it's a formidable bit of kit.
 Morgan Woods 10 Dec 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

I have one (45cm) and have used it a few times. They are much better than the old frogs. Good also for working routes where you don't want to drag up a clipstick. Clipped to the back of your harness it keeps out of the way. I climb in an area with the occasional badly placed bolt so I find it a good insurance policy esp for onsighting at my limit.
 ElBarto 10 Dec 2015
I got one for a recent trip to Sicily & used it twice, very glad I had it both times. Was wishing I had two on one route.

Certainly recommend buying them.
OP cragtyke 10 Dec 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

Thanks all for the comments, very helpful. My son's home from prague at xmas and will be bringing one hopefully.
 jon 10 Dec 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

In fact I mis-remembered the C2C thread that I mentioned above. The krab didn't break, it unclipped itself, but due to the same reasons ie the krab being captive/rigid in the quickdraw. http://www.camptocamp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=244418
Bernard Shakey 10 Dec 2015
In reply to cragtyke:

Any other old gits might remember something along similar lines years ago, Camp made a crab where the gate was slightly offset, so stayed open until you flicked it shut. I still have one and use it on a stiff quickdraw for clipping out of reach bolts (Im a short arse) been very useful over the years

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...