UKC

Costa Blanca Via Ferrata

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 10 Dec 2015
Via Ferrata Monte Ponoch (VF4A)

Heading out to Costa Blanca next week, is the above Via Ferrata worthwhile? Anyone done it? Any comments would be appreciated, thanks in advance...
 JimHolmes69 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Done this. It's about a 3 hour round trip. Lots of staples to pull up on and exposed but very good. You need a 60 meter rope for a couple of absails for the decent. We did this as a family and my son was 10 at the time, it's a good route. Go get it done.
 Mark Eddy 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Yep it's well worth doing. Here's a few photos showing it: http://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/blog/category/via-ferrata

From the top there's a fine continuation scramble up to the summit plateau, then about a 45 min walk to the summit. From there a good path leads back to the start. Round trip is 5 - 7 hours. No abseils required if you do the scramble and it's about UK grade 3 at the most.

A few more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1006406812763815.1073742052.10323...
Post edited at 09:44
OP Sl@te Head 11 Dec 2015

Thanks for the replies, will probably check it out. Btw is it in the Rock Fax Guidebook? If not any info available anywhere?

Oujmik 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

It's mentioned in passing in the Rockfax guide but you can get a more detailed guide to VF from the Orange House website. The only thing you need a guide for is finding the parking and the approach path as it's the least obvious of a few paths in the area. PM me if you want more info.

The VF is in a good situation with a lot of exposure. It's basically a stemple ladder, steep and physical if you're not used to that kind of thing. We'll worth doing.
 Mark Eddy 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Use the Rockfax guide to get you to the parking area (same as for the climbing on Ponoch). At the car park there's a large information board with all the info you'll need.
NZClimber 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Sorry to hi-jack this, but we are heading to costa blanca next month.

Having never done a Via Ferrata before, can this be done with a standard cowstail as opposed to the proper via ferrata lines? just on a budget and dont want to buy more gear.

Thanks
 Mark Eddy 12 Dec 2015
In reply to NZClimber:

It's far from ideal to use a cowstail set up on a via ferrata. Falling off will likely result in snapping the slings and that will result in a very bad day!
However, you could rope up for it and 'move together' placing a few quickdraws for protection.
 Oujmik 13 Dec 2015
In reply to NZClimber:

Absolutely not. This is unsafe on any VF unless you are also belaying using a rope (I.e. climbing). It would be particularly unsafe on this VF as it's steep so a fall would result in a virtually friction free fall back to the last cable anchor which could be 3 or 4 metres on to perhaps 50cm of cowstail so you'd be looking at FF6-8 which would probably break you if your cowstail was rope or break the cowstail if it was dyneema.

It's worth keeping a short cowstail on your harness for resting or taking photos, but not as your primary protection.
NZClimber 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

Thanks for the advice.... I will choose to stick with my climbing if that is the case!

I have never had anything to do with them, so was just after advice.... better to ask and know

cheers!
 Sam Mayfield 15 Dec 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:
Link here to website with VF miniguide to download! We ask you to subscribe so its all automatic to get the password!

http://theorangehouse.co.uk/mini-guides/pdf-page

or facebook page for VF https://www.facebook.com/viaferrata.costablanca?fref=ts

Rich has done a few more recently so he is desperate to get some time to put the details online!

We hire out VF equipment to guests staying at Orange House, you didn't mention if you are staying with us or not!

Have a good week, if you are here already, you will be enjoying the lovely sunshine we have at the moment and the mild temps.

Regards Sam Orange
Post edited at 13:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...