UKC

Gorge walking, Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 s.thursz 11 Dec 2015
I know this isn't directly related to climbing, but i was wondering whether anyone here had any knowledge with regards to Gorge Walking/ Canyons in the Snowdonia area (near Beddgellert)

Basically, every summer we take a camp to Cae Canal (next to the copper mine) and take our campers on various activities (climbing, walking, wide games and canoeing) but this year I'm hoping to introduce gorge walking as a new activity. I have just completed an SPA and this combined with my canoeing qualifications (and site specific risk assessment by our technical advisor) will be enough to take campers out

within the local area to Beddgelert, we are after 1/2 gorges which a pretty tame (no ropes and alternative options for slightly bigger jumps) and perhaps one venue with more "extreme" situations- long slides, ropes and bigger jumps.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
(hope the above makes sense!)
 Alex Riley 11 Dec 2015
In reply to s.thursz:

Maentwrog gorge is great for the more extreme end of things. Long slabs/chutes, varied jumps, potholes along the way. It is on dam release though so bear that in mind.
 rusty8850 11 Dec 2015
In reply to s.thursz:

Site specific risk assessment for a gorge neither of you have been in before? How does that work. Paddling qualifications aren't going to be much use either. You'd be well advised to hire a local who knows where he / she is going, sure it will make for a better day.
Bernard Shakey 12 Dec 2015
In reply to s.thursz:

Reminds me of an organisation who wanted to send an archery instructor down a cave, as he had "outdoor experience "
OP s.thursz 12 Dec 2015
In reply to rusty8850:

we will be going up there in the Easter period to do a recce with our technical advisor whom will decided on best practice etc. According to our insurance policy this is considered absolutely fine.

Cheers for the recommendation, its probably worth asking whether there is a Gorge walking fourm/ website similar to UKC?!
 nigel n 12 Dec 2015
In reply to s.thursz:

You need to bear in mind that parts of Maentwrog gorge are in a national nature reserve and that over the years groups have adapted their use in order to minimise their impact

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...