UKC

The World's most beautiful Mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 11 Dec 2015
Well, according to the Telegraph todat this is the definitive list. Not very impressed with the Skye photo though, really scraping the barrel.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activityandadventure/11736391/The-worlds-...
 Tom Last 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Wow, is that really how you spell Machapu... Err, Fishtail? Thought the journalist had just gone off the rails a bit.

Agree an odd list. To be fair, I doubt even The Telegraph have the budget/time to source decent photos for quick web uploads such as this, rather just use rights free stuff/pinch what they think they can get away with - hence the sometimes poor quality.
 aln 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Some crap pics in there. The Eiger one is terrible
 d_b 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

If I felt charitable I would suggest that they were acknowledging that different people had different tastes in hills, and they were catering to a range of criteria.

Clearly they wouldn't just type "mountain" into google image search and cross reference with the holiday destinations being advertised in their Sunday supplement. Thinking that would be cynical!
In reply to Sean Kelly:

The Telegraph's system of making you scroll through image after image, one by one, really irritates me. Put the lot on one or two pages and be done, for pity's sake.

Inevitably the consequence is that I don't scroll through and I haven't this time. If Gasherbrum IV isn't in the list then it's incomplete.

T.
 Simon4 11 Dec 2015
In reply to aln:

> The Eiger one is terrible

The Eiger is also not very beautiful. Menacing, impressive yes, but not beautiful.

Some of the others are pretty much undistinguished lumps as well.

aln 11 Dec 2015
In reply to Simon4:

> The Eiger is also not very beautiful. Menacing, impressive yes, but not beautiful

That's a matter of opinion. My point was that as one of the most photographed mountains in the world, that photo is a bit shite.
In reply to aln:

Yes. They must have worked hard to get such a rubbish one of the cuillin too...
 veteye 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Ama Dablam missing?Plus lots of others
 Simon4 12 Dec 2015
In reply to veteye:
Why on earth would you include this :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activityandadventure/11736391/The-worlds-...

in a list of "beautiful" mountains?

Fairly crap picture of Cerro Torre as well, considering the supply of excellent library pictures they should have had available.
Post edited at 10:34
 Dauphin 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Simon4:

Its the Telegraph. The owners have decided to turn it into the Littlewoods of broadsheets.

D
 Simon4 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Dauphin:

That will change shortly.

A friend of mine has just taken over all the Telegraph's online offerings, and I can assure you he is VERY talented. Within a year it will be technically very good and slick.
 felt 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Simon4:

> Why on earth would you include this :

It can only be that it's just a little part of the detente with Tehran over the Iraq/Syrian adventure.

I agree, the list is preposterous; only about three genuinely beautiful mountains there. The others are simply famous/notorious/damned weird.
abseil 12 Dec 2015
In reply to felt:

> I agree, the list is preposterous; only about three genuinely beautiful mountains there....

I agree and it's all subjective of course, but putting Damavand in there is a step much too far to me [I've seen it in the flesh from different sides] - IMO to say it's ordinary-looking at best is very kind.
 felt 12 Dec 2015
In reply to abseil:

That gold dome in front of it is very nice, although I dare say a drone could take a pic of Vitosha with the copper domes of Alexander Nevsky before it, and Vitosha really is Dullsville, AZ.
 Coel Hellier 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Strange omission of Suilven!
 Andy Long 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Simon4:

> That will change shortly.

> A friend of mine has just taken over all the Telegraph's online offerings, and I can assure you he is VERY talented. Within a year it will be technically very good and slick.

And can he write English too? "...a phenomena..." FFS.

Postmanpat 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Simon4:

> That will change shortly.

> A friend of mine has just taken over all the Telegraph's online offerings, and I can assure you he is VERY talented. Within a year it will be technically very good and slick.

Christ it needs it! Can you tell him to stop the videos that start without clicking them then you can't even find what is making the noise? Bloody annoying.
 felt 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:

Most Telegraph readers get their butlers to fix that sort of shaar.
 Simon4 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Postmanpat:
> Christ it needs it! Can you tell him to stop the videos that start without clicking them then you can't even find what is making the noise? Bloody annoying.

I can try, due to be seeing him fairly soon. I imagine he will want to fix the membership system that can be fooled by deleting cookies pretty urgently.

He actually said that he was very surprised at how technologically adept and forward-thinking they already are, much more so than The Guardian that he was also looking at. Though also it was surprising how much material is actually shared between notionally politically opposed papers like the Telegraph and The Guardian. Don't know how much The Daily Mail and The Guardian share, other than their similar approach to reality and their blatantly biased stance of course.
Post edited at 18:55
 Simon4 12 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy Long:
> And can he write English too? "...a phenomena..." FFS.

Would leave you looking like an illiterate idiot any time, he is extremely clever, articulate and inspirational, with a long track-record of success.
Post edited at 18:57
 Simon4 12 Dec 2015
In reply to felt:
> I agree, the list is preposterous; only about three genuinely beautiful mountains there.

Not even very good or memorable pictures of the ones that are beautiful, pity they didn't contact Jon Griffith or Ben Tibbetts.

But then I suppose we are used to a pretty high standard of mountain pictures here.
Post edited at 19:01
In reply to Simon4:

> Not even very good or memorable pictures of the ones that are beautiful,

Yes. Even the alpamayo one- hard to see why it one 'the most beautiful mountain in the world' accolade from that angle

From this angle though:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alpamayo&prmd=imnv&source=lnms&am...

Andy Long 13 Dec 2015
In reply to Simon4:

> Would leave you looking like an illiterate idiot any time, he is extremely clever, articulate and inspirational, with a long track-record of success.

And you too judging by the construction of that sentence.

I was assuming it wasn't him who'd come up with that howler.

I don't mind being called an idiot but I don't think I'm an illiterate one.
 Simon4 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Andy Long:
> I don't mind being called an idiot but I don't think I'm an illiterate one.

I'm not calling you an illiterate idiot, but by comparison with the person I am referring to, most of us would be in that category (including me, and I know him well).

The idea that running the web output of as major broadsheet like the Telegraph is easy, just because you don't like the politics of the paper is facile and childish. It is very demanding, they are very advanced, and he is both very clever and very good.

Incidentally, they recently had another "mountain themed" slide show, of "weddings in a mountain setting", somewhat better photographic standard (very hard to see some of the belays that were obviously there). But I really must get him to put the picture editor in touch with Jon or Ben. Due to see him either before or just after Christmas, will try to mention it.
Post edited at 23:17
 Robert Durran 17 Dec 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> If I felt charitable I would suggest that they............were catering to a range of criteria.

Such as ugliness, blandness, clichedness.........

In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> The Telegraph's system of making you scroll through image after image, one by one, really irritates me.

You mean just like UKC's "digital feaures"? Irritating indeed.
Post edited at 23:35
In reply to Simon4:

Since you have connections, tell the Telegraph that their 'slide show' format costs them this potential reader's attention. It's old fashioned, takes too much time to work through, only works as it should on a desktop PC and makes them look positively Victorian in a well past the millennium age.

T.
In reply to Coel Hellier:

> Strange omission of Suilven!

Not even the most beautiful mountain in Assynt.
 streapadair 17 Dec 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

Dunno about that, the first view you get of Suilven coming over from Bonar Bridge or Lairg is as close to literally jawdropping as they come.
In reply to streapadair:

> Dunno about that, the first view you get of Suilven coming over from Bonar Bridge or Lairg is as close to literally jawdropping as they come.

I'd call Suilven striking rather than beautiful. Quinag is more beautiful in my opinion.

Simon4 18 Dec 2015
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> tell the Telegraph that their 'slide show' format costs them this potential reader's attention. It's old fashioned, takes too much time to work through, only works as it should on a desktop PC and makes them look positively Victorian in a well past the millennium age.

I agree, I will try.

Not sure where it fits on the priority order though, or how direct his influence over the pictures editor is. The striking thing is that he was very impressed by their generally advanced technological state, though this is a presentational issue.

Pity they have missed the chance to display really good quality mountain pictures, whatever the display format though. I guess most of us could live with a lumbering display method if the quality of the pics was really good, as we know it could have been.

I doubt they will cycle back to a mountain theme any time soon though.
Post edited at 08:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...